+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Side dishes, ideas!!

I need some side dish ideas ok to prepare (and refrigerate) 3-4 hrs before (I'll cook them just before dinner time) .

I usually prepare dinner while ds2 naps.

My usual side dishes are;
    - mashed potato (I only chop them before hand)
    - fried rice
    - steamed veggies
    - roast pumpkin/potato

I need more ideas! (especially with the veggies)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do a roast vegie salad. I roast up a bunch of vegies (sweet potato or pumplin, eggplant, roast capsicum, red onion, whatever you want really) and then let them cool down. I then throw them in with some spinach/rocket along with feta, olives and sundried tomato.

If you're pressed for time, the roast vegies refridgerate well and just throw in the spinach/rocket as you're serving

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cauliflower and broccoli cheese.
    Sauteed mushrooms or beans.
    Garlic mushrooms.
    Vegetable cheesy bake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you make your own cheese sauce?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sweet potato and potato bake.
    Broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Zucchini fries - cut zucchini ( skin on) into chip size shapes and crumb ( I use rice crumbs but bread crumbs are fine) you can keep them in the fridge and when ready place on a oven tray lined with baking paper and spritz with olive oil and bake for 20 mins

Veggie and potato frittata
    Pan fry cubed potatoes in olive oil , when nearly cooked add baby spinach or any grated veggie or peas , add 4 beaten eggs and place into the oven and cook until set ( about 10 mins) you can cook it in the afternoon and serve at room temp or reheat

Noodles - sometimes I just boil spaghetti and add some pesto as a side dish ( basil, parm cheese , pine nuts and oil)

Pea and corn fritters or any veggies just grate and add self raising flour , egg, herbs and garlic and shallow fry

Stir fry veggies - cut up veggies beforehand and just stir fry with garlic, ginger and any sauce you choose

Baked asparagus - blanche asparagus in boiling water then drain and put in oven proof dish , add salt, pepper, olive oil and grate over parmesan cheese - bake in oven until brown about 10 mins

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great ideas Elijah's mum. Thanks. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could eggplant be used as well as zucchini? (for fries)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anjalee View Post
    i do a roast vegie salad. I roast up a bunch of vegies (sweet potato or pumplin, eggplant, roast capsicum, red onion, whatever you want really) and then let them cool down. I then throw them in with some spinach/rocket along with feta, olives and sundried tomato.

If you're pressed for time, the roast vegies refridgerate well and just throw in the spinach/rocket as you're serving
    yum!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Do you make your own cheese sauce?
    Yep. Just a little bit of butter, sautee some onion in it, add a few tbs of flour, then stir in (very slowly, like a quarter of a cup at a time, takes me about 15-20 mins to make in total) about 1-2 cups milk until you have it as thick as you like. Then add about a cup of grated cheese. I also season with nutmeg and pepper. This can be frozen too, so I often make up a big batch and freeze some.