+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default dog barking at night

One of my neighbour's dogs has recently started barking all night. And I mean all night.

All night Monday 5th & all last night.

Problem is, the dog stops barking at 6-6.30am which is when I get up for work (and I'm assuming when it's owners get up too) so I can't figure out exactly which house it is (there are three possibilities).

It's one of three houses which are behind our house & affectively basically right near my bedroom window.

Monday night I tossed & turned most of the night & ended up having to move into a room at the front of the house in the early hours of the morning just to get a few hours sleep. Last night the dog started barking at like 10pm & I couldn't get to sleep till about midnight. I then got woken up by it in the early hours & tossed & turned till my alarm went off.

So I'm basically getting no sleep at the moment unless I permenantly move into a different room - I don't think I should have to & I want to sleep with my DH (he could sleep through an atomic bomb, so he doesn't even notice).

I work full-time so needless to say this is far from ideal, I spent most of tuesday trying not to fall asleep at my desk - therefore it is affecting my work performance.

Bacause I can't figure out which house it is I can't really call the Council.

What am I supposed to do? I don't want to wear ear-plugs as I have a lot of anxiety about not hearing the smoke alarm. I also don't believe I should have to move into the spare room permenantly.

I really can't stand irresponsible dog owners who just don't give stuff about their dogs barking all night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on your council, complaining wont do much anyway. We had the same situation and their response was that they would post them and the whole street relevant reading material, and that I would need to keep a journal for 2 weeks of the exact times and duration of the dogs barking and return it to them. If the dog was barking a certain % of the time they would begin communication with the owners directly.

You may be better off trying to figure out the house and approaching them directly? Maybe they work shift and get home at 6.30 instead of getting up then, and don't realise it's being a nuisance?

Good luck either way.. Noisy neighbours suck! (Mine use their driveway as a living room, right next to DS room)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would put a letter in the 3 houses letter box just explaining the situation, as PP said maybe they aren't aware of the situation.
    I have no idea what my dogs do when I'm not home, so I would hope someone would tell me before complaining.

If that doesn't work then keep the journal & report to council ... Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with mmaf, approach the neighbor nicely before going to the council.
    I was in the same position recently (but being the dog owner offender!).

A neighbor a few months ago had put a random note in our letter box saying our dog barks "all the time" and asked if we could do something about it otherwise he'd be contacting the council. This ****ed us off as 1, as far as we knew our dog doesn't bark when were home, and 2, if they were that annoyed by it, at least put your bloody name or number or something on the note so we could ask him when the dog barks, or how much or something, without knowing who it was from we couldn't do much about it.

So after receiving a second letter we decided to door knock on all our neighbors with the second note asking if it was them who put it in our letter box. It turned out to be a retired single guy who is home all day every day & doesn't like noise. He's a really nice guy though so we felt really bad because it turns out our dog would only bark due to anxiety separation when we were out for the day (or night). So we told him we would try different methods of trying to keep him quiet while we were out and we did.

In the end after trying everything we've had to put a noise deterrent collar (only when were out, we take it off him when were home & at night) on him and it works. So I'm guessing our neighbor isn't having any issues because we haven't herd from him lol.

Best of luck OP I'm sure you and your neighbor can work something out once you find out whos dog it barking

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh boy, that would drive me insane

I think you should try and find out which house the dog belongs to and approach the owner, even if it's just putting a letter in their mailbox.

Just explain how much their dog's barking is effecting your life. Perhaps the dog owner is a night shift worker and doesn't realise how badly their dog behaves whilst they are out?

I really think it's unreasonable that you should have to put up with that kind of disturbance and I hope your neighbour takes measures to rectify the situation.

Good luck

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the same problem and have complained n nothings changed.

I cope by putting a fan on ( white noise) and it blocks out the sound of the dog. Although makes it hard wen its winter. Or i put on meditation music on my ipod and go to sleep .

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a sahm and have had 3 complaints from people saying our dog barks all day and whines from being mistreated......but it's not our dog! I get so annoyed that people don't get there facts straight before going ahead and complaining. Our dog is inside all day everyday and is so precious he doesn't like rain so doesn't go outside when it's wet.......so I know it's not him. We even had RSPCA at our house because our dog was apparently in danger....they came in saw the dog on the couch and all his expensive food and were confused as to why they had a complaint against us......so please get your facts straight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the dog is barking at night perhaps the owners works night shift and don't realise. It's unlikely the dog would bark if the owner was home.
    Perhaps like some of the others have mentioned just place a letter in the letter box explaining what's happening and maybe go from there?
    If u can perhaps go out tonight and do some investigating when it starts barking. It's certainly a good idea to get all ur facts straight in situations like this.
    Good luck barking dogs can be very annoying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would probs go for a walk tonight when it starts barking. If you can work out what house it is. I would probably knock on the door and ask them why they are letting their dog bark( that's me though ) if they aren't home leave a letter saying if it won't stop you will complain to the council.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'll have to do more investigating & figure out which house it is.

I'll probably leave them a note - it's a house behind us so I have never even seen the people & have no clue what they are like. Therefore not sure if I want to approach them in person (my dad tried that once & almost got assaulted!)

I guess I'll have to sleep in the front room tonight I'm sick & need to get some sleep so I don't feel like wandering around outside tonight trying to figure out which house it is. I'll try another night though.