+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 12 week scan

Hi ladies
    I am just wondering how/when your get the results from the 10 week blood test + 12 week scan? I have mine in the coming weeks and eager for the results.

Do I need to make an appt with my doc? Do the results get sent out? Is the ultrasound technician able to give you a good indication?

Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just had mine done at an Ultrasound for women which wasn't bulk billed and I waited a couple of minutes after the scan to see their doctor who explained my results. The results are also sent to my GP. I think I had it done at a bulk billing place with my first DD and they told me I needed to see my GP but I can't remember for sure. I'd just ask the place where you're having it done what their procedure is so you know whether you need to follow up with your GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My GP told me to make an appointment with her a week or so after the 12 week scan. I'm assuming the ultrasound tech will give you a little rundown though.

You're having a blood tests at 10 weeks? I've got a single referral for a blood test/scan at 12 weeks....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told to have my blood test a week before the scan so the ultrasound place would have my results at the time of the scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    I was told to have my blood test a week before the scan so the ultrasound place would have my results at the time of the scan.
    Hmmm. I might follow this up...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah wont hurt to ask because if you have the bloods the same day as the scan they wouldn't be able to give you your results that day which would be frustrating! but I do think the procedure differs between ultrasound clinics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my report & risk at the scan. The sonographer wouldn't tell me but told me the report is with my images.

You will only be able to get your risk factor if the sonographer has your bloods at the time of scan which is why most drs / midwifed recommend getting at 10 weeks.

Good luck with your scan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Hmmm. I might follow this up...
    It just depends on where you go.

Most public hospitals do the scan and blood test on the same day so you don't get your results until a few days after.

However if you are going to a private ultrasound place they generally get you to have bloods done a week or so before your scan then they can give you your full results a few minutes after they've finished your scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    I was told this both times, but both times in the end I had to wait for my follow up appointment with my GP a few days later. This was at a private ultrasound place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it just depends on where you go for your u/s.

We went public with our first pregnancy, told blood at 10 weeks and scan at 12. I was sent to a general u/s place that did everything (pregnancy, sports medicine, etc) and wasn't told anything just that I was ok to leave and my GP called me about a week later.

This time I've gone private, told bloods again at 10 and scan at 12. I was sent to a proper obstetrics u/s place with a dr doing the scan. She pretty much did a full anatomy scan there and told me my risk based on NT measurement and age right there, she still had to compare my bloods. I had an OB appt an hour later and they faxed the results to him during the appt. This particular u/s place does their own risk assessment but the proper pathology/genetics assessment that everyone's results gets sent to comes a week or so later, my OB said the results will pretty much be exactly the same.

I'm actually considering writing a letter of complaint to my GPs office (not him individually, but the whole office as all the drs there refer to the same place) and the first place I was sent to for my first pregnancy. At that scan they pretty much focused on her NT measurement and didn't go over anything else, at the time I didn't know any better and thought this was fine. When she died at 20 weeks and the autopsy report came back with a couple things, I wondered if they could have seen those issues (a cleft palate and single umbilical artery---normally there are two arteries) at 12 weeks but assumed they must not have been able to since they didn't say anything. At my 12 week scan last week the dr went over every signal part of the baby's body and pointed out that there is no cleft palate and two arteries in the umbilical cord--we obviously could have been told with our daughter. Public patients can be referred to this place. I just don't understand why, when there are proper obstetrics places to have your 12 week scan as a public patient that my GPs office refers you to this other place which is very obviously not as good. The only reason I can think of is the location, it's just down the street from them.

It's just sad, because especially when it's your first baby, many moms wouldn't know that there are other choices or that it matters.

My biggest recommendation is make sure your scan is done at your hospital or an u/s place that specializes in obstetrics and nothing else.

Sorry for the long post---it's just been weighing on my mind all week since our scan, how different the two experiences were.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Whoknows  (08-08-2013)