+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Studying post grad by distance - am I the only one finding this impossible?!

I've just started (in week 4 now) my first unit of a masters degree by distance and I'm really struggling. I can JUST get the required reading done, but that leaves no time for working on assignments or doing any of the reflective questions, and realistically I'm not even fully understanding what I'm reading because I'm in such a rush to get it done. This week, my required readings total 226 pages, made up of 3 text book chapters and 4 journal articles.

I'm on parental leave at the moment so have no idea how people manage study, work AND a family? I'm going back to work part-time next month and I'm seriously freaking out! I'd love to know how others manage the huge workload!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That seems like a massive workload to me!! I'm finishing my grad dip in secondary education and the reading isn't anywhere near that extensive, and any exercises are more to enrich understanding than anything else.
    My assignments are horrible though and I hate having them hanging over my head, so I know how you must be feeling.
    How many subjects are you doing at once? Is it within the recommended workload? Any chance you could drop a subject and just take that little bit longer to complete it?
    Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The readings are always huge aren't they. Are you able to just read what you really need to? maybe even start the assignments and get the information/reading as you go along? I spoke to a friend about this recently and she was doing this and gave me the tip because it is just impossible to do it all the way we could do it before kids etc. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm only doing 1 subject - the recommended part-time workload is 2 subjects!

Balletbaby, that's actually how I got through my undergrad degree (pre-baby as well), by just reading what was relevant to the assignments. I thought this time I'd try to get more value from the experience to learn everything I could but I think time is going to be a massive restriction so I'll just have to figure out what the most essential readings are!

Thanks for your responses :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I so know what you mean. You must be a perfectionist like me. I felt I had to read everything but it is just too hard to balance it all.
    Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi JR03!
    Do remember that the expectations of a post-grad are that little bit more again. I started off doing two subjects and dropped back to one. They "suggest" that it equates to 10 hours a week - I have logged all my hours for all subjects and it's usually 240 hours per subject and yet crammed into about 10 -11 weeks. Readings are huge, so I find that it needs at least 3 hours a day. Was doing okay until I fell pregnant and now really tired and that little bit more foggy. So now my expectations of myself have dropped - I just need to pass this semester and hope that all-day sickness doesn't kick in too hard. And to be honest - I have no idea how full-time working mothers do it and are also a good mother, employee, etc. They are super. Be kind to yourself, set up a routine. I find getting up early before the kids is helpful and so much more productive and then it's not hanging over you all day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

marianaluky  (14-11-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I did a Masters online full time load while working full time. What a glutton for punishment. It was so hard. I ended up resorting to just skimming readings close to assignment time and flubbing my way through forum postings, and I have extremely high expectations of myself. The low point was doing a 5000 word essay the night before it was due on the same day the latest season of Grey's had arrived in the post (country living!). All I wanted was to watch that damn show! I don't think I learnt a thing, to be honest. Hang in there and don't be too hard on yourself if you feel you need to cut corners along the way...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I'm on parental leave at the moment so have no idea how people manage study, work AND a family? I'm going back to work part-time next month and I'm seriously freaking out! I'd love to know how others manage the huge workload!
    Nobody manages study, work and family. They survive it!

Something has to give, be it your relationship, your standard of work, your house cleanliness... It's just not possible to do everything well.

Cut corners wherever you can & do the bare minimum of reading. You forget 80% of what you learn anyway! :P

10. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

marianaluky  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi what I could suggest is reading from the point of view of assignments, in the sense is 'a and b' or a certain concept relevant to the assignment? I don't think you are expected to devote your time to understanding the entire content. Skim through the paragraph and try to pinpoint its main message and I usually highlight main terms as well so that they're easy to find when preparing assignments. Check that you've included important concepts in your assignment, that's what the assessor would be looking for. And oh don't forget to read the rubric thoroughly, it'll give you a really good idea of what's expected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Just browsing through the forums this early morning at 4 am. Not feeling the motivation right now, but it's always good to know that you can choose whether or not to pay attention to uni work or not. I always call it one of my "job"... I tell people all the time that I have a lot of work to do at home, so I don't waste any time with time wasters. Lol.

Anyways, you can anything that you set your mind to. I have 5 weeks worth of art stuff due in 3 weeks. I would rather give it my best shot and see what happens... Instead of mulling over what could happen. Don't waste any time mulling...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app