+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Not in the case of my local FDC lady. She charges $122 per day. LDC is $75!!
    Outrageous! Assuming she wouldn't do errands etc on that rate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Woah that is nuts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wowser!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Like others have said it has nothing to do with how safe a driver you are, that doesn't stop someone else from rear ending you or side swiping you. It's just an increased risk I'd rather not have to think about when dropping DS off.
    Exactly this^. There is also the fact that you can have visitors or visit friends/ relatives who the parents wouldn't know.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

new mum 15809  (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I assume FDC is tons cheaper than LDC then, given that some do their own errands, pick up their own kids from school, etc during the time you are paying them?
    I think it depends in the carer. My friend's fdc was hourly rate but changed to a daily rate of $89 from memory That is way more expensive than my daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son goes to a childcare centre on GC. He's been there since he was 22mths old.
    I always preferred the centre as I knew they were run and watched a lot better than FDC. They had to be accredited and keep their centre to that accreditation level.
    Now that the new regulations are coming in for both long daycare centers and FDC it will be a lot more regulated and kept onto, especially for FDC.

Those that have had bad experiences, please report the FDC or centre. Dept of early childhood take these complaints seriously and will investigate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CicerFabaceae View Post
    Does she have special qualifications? My friend is an experienced early child hood teacher having a break from the classroom and she is a FDC Mum, she charges high fees for her expertise, and really, having your kid have access to an early child hood teacher with the ratio of 1:4 is pretty cool!
    No, she has worked in Childcare for 5yrs and has her own child with her which is why she started doing it. I asked the organisation that she was affiliated with and she said the carers set their own rates.
    No errands, just care at her home.
    Almost all of the carers at our LDC centre have either their certificates and some even have degrees.
    For us, LDC is perfect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Recent research reveals family day care ranks higher on quality than any other form of child care in Australia.

The Australian Children’s Education and Care Authority’s quarterly report on the National Quality Framework revealed a higher percentage of family day care services were rated as “Exceeding National Quality Standard” than centre-based care.

The NQF Snapshot Q2 2013 also shows that family day care is the fastest growing form of child care with an increase of 15 per cent over the past three months.

While the new figures reveal that family day care and centre-based services are rated comparably, a higher percentage of family day care services were rated as “Exceeding National Quality Standard” than the long day care sector.

Family day care is a very unique form of early childhood education and care with smaller groups and a more nurturing, home-based setting which still meets the same quality requirements as centre-based child care.

Like many of you have responded, every child care provider is different be they family day care or centre-based care. There is no one size fits all when it comes to child care and families should do their research when seeking an appropriate early childhood education and care service for their child.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Family Day Care Australia For This Useful Post:

Babycharlieandme  (28-08-2013),GabberQueeN83  (17-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I personally get very funny about other people that I don't know extremely well taking my kids in their car without me. Granted, it's helicopter parent-ish, but they are my kids, I love them.

Don't be deterred on being a FDC provider new mum. I'm not against it as such, but I'm very protective of my kids and just don't like the thought that there is only one carer. Especially with small children who can't talk, I believe there could be a propensity for covering up abuse. I'm sure only a tiny percentage of FDC workers are like that.
    I agree re the family daycare. I don't like the idea of 1 provider either and I don't see family daycare as being secure due to the fact that if that 1 carer is sick, needs time off for whatever reason there is no backup so that would leave you stuck. Nor do i believe you have that quality a centre provides. There are 2 FDC in town and I wouldn't have my child with either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use FDC and love it (and I'm a early childhood teacher in a LDC)

I love the consistency of care when DS was a baby. One carer that's it. She has never had a sick day which was one of my concerns. With a ratio of 1:4, moving to 1:3 in 2014, the rate if getting sick is less too

The rate is much much cheaper than the ldc in my area. I pay $6 an hour, which is $3 an hour after my rebate.

Our FDC worker has become like family for DS and i wouldn't change that

She isn't perfect and we had some hurdles but have worked on them

I also loved that she was on board with cloth nappies and EC toilet training.