+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I personally get very funny about other people that I don't know extremely well taking my kids in their car without me. Granted, it's helicopter parent-ish, but they are my kids, I love them.

Don't be deterred on being a FDC provider new mum. I'm not against it as such, but I'm very protective of my kids and just don't like the thought that there is only one carer. Especially with small children who can't talk, I believe there could be a propensity for covering up abuse. I'm sure only a tiny percentage of FDC workers are like that.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (11-08-2013),new mum 15809  (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by new mum 15809 View Post
    Reading all these negative comments about FDC is really making me reconsider my decision to become a FDC educator.

Can I ask what the issue is with the carers taking your kids out? By the time I'm ready to start, my DD will be just starting kindy so I'll have to take her (and any other kids in my care) to drop her off/pick up? I've been driving for about 8yrs, have never had an accident or traffic infringement (apart from a parking fine when I forgot to display my work permit) of any kind, I don't speed and am always very careful on the roads. Would this alone be a reason for people to not leave your children in my care?

your driving record is not my concern.

Fact to me...is that i approve the centre as well as the workers...i can see what is safe and what isn't. If a fdc person was taking 4-6 kids out there is a higher chance that something could happen...you can have a perfect driving record and someone can smash into you, the places that are visited may have there own dangers...but mainly...i like to know where my kids are. And, if a fdc person can come and go with them as they please...i would not know where they are. I don't want them doing the shopping etc etc I send them to daycare so they can play and have fun with peers.

Lots of people think the more homely approach is awesome and therefore use family daycare...but, it is a minority. Don't let it turn you off if that is what you want to do...but, just like some people don't like daycare centres...some people don't like FDC.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (11-08-2013),new mum 15809  (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Reading all these negative comments about FDC is really making me reconsider my decision to become a FDC educator.

Can I ask what the issue is with the carers taking your kids out? By the time I'm ready to start, my DD will be just starting kindy so I'll have to take her (and any other kids in my care) to drop her off/pick up? I've been driving for about 8yrs, have never had an accident or traffic infringement (apart from a parking fine when I forgot to display my work permit) of any kind, I don't speed and am always very careful on the roads. Would this alone be a reason for people to not leave your children in my care?
    Like Delirium, I'm a very protective parent. I don't care if you're an expert driver, I'm not letting you drive my kids around every day. I have a perfect driving record and 15yrs driving experience and I'm still extra cautious when driving with DD. Car accidents happen all the time to great drivers and lots of people are killed or injured on the road. If she doesn't need to be in the car I'd prefer she wasn't, especially if it's with someone I don't know extremely well. I'd much rather she be running around playing, painting, dancing, having story time etc than sitting in a car.

Also, if a FDC carer takes my child and potentially 2-3 other kids to the shops, is she going to be able to keep track of everyone 100% of the time? I struggle sometimes just with DD on her own! You can't control who else is at the shops or wherever you go with the kids. I want eyes on my DD at all times (see my earlier post about my kidnapping fear).

If the carer had great facilities at home (safe and engaging), didn't take the kids out, registered all visitors and no unnecessary visitors, had a great reputation etc - I might consider FDC if I didn't have another option.

I get that FDC carers do the job because it fits with their family life, but isn't it still your job? I don't run personal errands like grocery shopping or school runs during work time.

I might sound pedantic, but she's my daughter and I am very particular about her care!

You may well be an exceptional care provider so hopefully the comments here will prepare you for some of the questions/issues you may get from parents.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (11-08-2013),delirium  (11-08-2013),Gracie's Mum  (11-08-2013),new mum 15809  (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Like Delirium, I'm a very protective parent. I don't care if you're an expert driver, I'm not letting you drive my kids around every day. I have a perfect driving record and 15yrs driving experience and I'm still extra cautious when driving with DD. Car accidents happen all the time to great drivers and lots of people are killed or injured on the road. If she doesn't need to be in the car I'd prefer she wasn't, especially if it's with someone I don't know extremely well. I'd much rather she be running around playing, painting, dancing, having story time etc than sitting in a car.

Also, if a FDC carer takes my child and potentially 2-3 other kids to the shops, is she going to be able to keep track of everyone 100% of the time? I struggle sometimes just with DD on her own! You can't control who else is at the shops or wherever you go with the kids. I want eyes on my DD at all times (see my earlier post about my kidnapping fear).

If the carer had great facilities at home (safe and engaging), didn't take the kids out, registered all visitors and no unnecessary visitors, had a great reputation etc - I might consider FDC if I didn't have another option.

I get that FDC carers do the job because it fits with their family life, but isn't it still your job? I don't run personal errands like grocery shopping or school runs during work time.

I might sound pedantic, but she's my daughter and I am very particular about her care!

You may well be an exceptional care provider so hopefully the comments here will prepare you for some of the questions/issues you may get from parents.
    Agree 110%

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

new mum 15809  (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've done FDC and regular and ill never use FDC again. For me daycare is to get them ready for school. The FDC I used didn't do that. I don't like the set up. It's cheap but I'd rather pay more knowing my kids are in a more structured, professional place.

Thanks
    Reviews

Dont be deterred. There is interest in fdc from a lot of parents, and I think we desperately need more quality family day care. My personal issue with fdc taking kids out for school drop offs/pick ups and shopping etc is that I feel like if the worker is spending large amounts of time on these activities, really my child is spending a lot of time sitting in a pram/trolley/car seat, not being interacted with much, and is really just taking in scenery and expected to sit still for long periods. I know my kids, and they aren't placid or easily contained and I don't want carers to expect that of them. I have seen a family day care mother spend hours in her own childrens classes and chatting with other parents while the daycare kids just quietly sit in the pram, being told sit down whenever they try to move. What is the benefit in that? I agree with others, If I were to use family daycare for a baby, I would look for someone who doesnt do much driving. A planned activity is one thing, but going out every single day for long drives and going out on errands is not my idea of quality care. I think for older, school aged children, I would be okay with family daycare for before/after school.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    your driving record is not my concern.

Fact to me...is that i approve the centre as well as the workers...i can see what is safe and what isn't. If a fdc person was taking 4-6 kids out there is a higher chance that something could happen...you can have a perfect driving record and someone can smash into you, the places that are visited may have there own dangers...but mainly...i like to know where my kids are. And, if a fdc person can come and go with them as they please...i would not know where they are. I don't want them doing the shopping etc etc I send them to daycare so they can play and have fun with peers.

Lots of people think the more homely approach is awesome and therefore use family daycare...but, it is a minority. Don't let it turn you off if that is what you want to do...but, just like some people don't like daycare centres...some people don't like FDC.
    Exactly this, I like to know where my child is 24/7, if a FDC person is taking the kids out for pick ups/drop offs/ errands etc I don't 'know' that she's safe somewhere if that makes sense?? At daycare I know she's safe with her multiple carers, behind 2 fences and a locked door, no strangers around, chance of running onto a road, chance of being in a car accident etc. she's just there and safe.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Like others have said it has nothing to do with how safe a driver you are, that doesn't stop someone else from rear ending you or side swiping you. It's just an increased risk I'd rather not have to think about when dropping DS off.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I assume FDC is tons cheaper than LDC then, given that some do their own errands, pick up their own kids from school, etc during the time you are paying them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I assume FDC is tons cheaper than LDC then, given that some do their own errands, pick up their own kids from school, etc during the time you are paying them?
    Not in the case of my local FDC lady. She charges $122 per day. LDC is $75!!