+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've used FDC before and never will again. I was cancelled on last minute numerous times. They can have whoever they choose at their house at any time and I won't know about it. I didn't like this. I only used it for DD2 for a short time as there were no spaces available at the daycare DD1 was in.

The price was comparable. She charged $9 an hour plus then there is FDC fees on top of that. She also had a minimum number of hours you could use. So depending on how many hours you use, it was actually cheaper to go to a proper centre.

We are lucky that we were fortunate enough to find an amazing council run centre. The staff are fantastic. Everything is inclusive- food, nappies etc. they do awesome activities as well as extras like puppet shows, fire and ambulance visits, petting zoos etc. we don't pay if our days of attendance fall on a public holiday which I love. I would only ever use a council centre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Uhhh yes, yes it is.
    Yep this has been clarified (age groups etc) thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    That's why I choose a not for profit council run centre
    Which are great in theory but not always in practice, I have seen and worked in a lot of different centres and used FDC, I would say it comes to down to a difference in every single centre. Some FDC are great, some not, some Council run centres great, some not, some private centres great, some not. Unfortunately I think many council run centres will end up priced out of the market trying to cover all their overheads and management tiers and we will see many go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    Which are great in theory but not always in practice, I have seen and worked in a lot of different centres and used FDC, I would say it comes to down to a difference in every single centre. Some FDC are great, some not, some Council run centres great, some not, some private centres great, some not. Unfortunately I think many council run centres will end up priced out of the market trying to cover all their overheads and management tiers and we will see many go.
    Yes completely agree. There are good and bad in FDC, council and for profit DC. I don't think they will be priced at of the market. If costs increase they increase for profit DC's too and the council run ones should always remain cheaper as they don't need that profit margin. I believe DC costs will continue to increase, but both profit and non profit will increase at the same rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes completely agree. There are good and bad in FDC, council and for profit DC. I don't think they will be priced at of the market. If costs increase they increase for profit DC's too and the council run ones should always remain cheaper as they don't need that profit margin. I believe DC costs will continue to increase, but both profit and non profit will increase at the same rate.
    Our local council run service was at one point at least $10 a day more than any other service in the area, even the private ones. It was due to a number of things - higher wages for staff, cleaning and council costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm surprised an educator would say that children thrive better in fdc. Some children do and some children don't, they're not all the same.

There are non-profit centres out there whose objective isn't about money, but about the welfare of their staff and children.
    I'm also surprised an educator would say that. I work at a centre that isn't non-profit and the children's needs always come first. The program caters for each child's learning all the way through including babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    Our local council run service was at one point at least $10 a day more than any other service in the area, even the private ones. It was due to a number of things - higher wages for staff, cleaning and council costs.
    Well there you go. All I know is our local centres. After CCB rebate I was paying about $25 a day at the council one. I checked at the for-profit and it was going to be $45 a day after rebate. When you have them in 2 days a week that's 80 bucks a fortnight which is a lot for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    I'm also surprised an educator would say that. I work at a centre that isn't non-profit and the children's needs always come first. The program caters for each child's learning all the way through including babies.
    I think from my perspective, the issue doesn't lie with the DC workers. I'm sure the ones at for-profit are just as good, just as caring and have the same skills as the council ones. It's the philosophy that bothers me. I just don't believe DC should be the in the domain of profit. Same goes for education. Of course JMHO.
    Last edited by delirium; 10-08-2013 at 21:48. Reason: spelling... again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneychick View Post
    As a early childhood teacher myself and have previously worked as a fdc in nz, hands down I could say children thrive so much better with a dedicated fdc. Only today I worked with a lovely daycare centre who are battling to cope with the increasing amount of special needs children who are really aggressive toward the other children. The teachers are exhausted and the children are all nervous of being knocked about so I suppose in a lovely fdc the children are in a small group so alot of love and gentleness are being displayed by the dedicated carer. The cc teachers themselves admitted they feel daycares are great in theory but in practice its tough, because the owners are after profit not so much hiring loads of staff to give the children alot more one on one.
    If an aggressive or special needs child was in a FDC and required lots of one-on-one attention, who's looking after the other kids when the FDC carer is giving that kind of attention to one child? In a centre with multiple carers they can have one carer provide that focused attention when needed while the other children are still being covered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think from my perspective, the issue doesn't lie with the DC workers. I'm sure the ones at for-profit are just as good, just as caring and have the same skills as the council ones. It's the philosophy that bothers me. I just don't believe DC should be the in the domain of profit. Same does for education. Of course JMHO.
    Unfortunately the reality is that we need private centres to help meet demand. If the government can't/won't fund enough centres to cover all the kids that need care, there needs to be an incentive for the private sector to provide the service. In a perfect world we wouldnt have private schools, hospitals, daycare etc... it would be a high standard available to everyone. But we'd all be paying 80% income tax to pay for it!