+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    Crikey! That sounds horrible! I can honestly say that the FDC in my local area is nothing like this! Who runs it? Local Council? Ours is run by a Children's Services group, maybe that accounts for the heavily regulated setting?

We also had to sign permission notes for DD to go on excursions. Even if it were just up the road to the park.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    it was run by council, the coucil lady even told me that the FDC lady was excellent, well not so in my case. Pulling my baby out from there is the best thing I have ever did.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Every centre, and family daycare provider is different. I weighed up my own personal opinions before deciding. I chose FDC (family daycare) so I'm more than happy to list what I consider pros and cons:

cons:
    • That she has 6 weeks off at the end of the year
    • after meeting with 5 potential carers the one I loved is 30 mins drive in the opposite direction of my work from my house
    that is it!!!

Pros:
    • My son can eat, sleep etc whenever he pleases. There are no set times of morning tea, nap etc. this was very important to ME as I wanted him to develop his own routine. My toddler loves eating and could not just have morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea at set times.
    • His carer only has three children at one time and they are all his age! No one to 6 kids etc (some Centres have 1 to 11 wtf)
    • she doesn't drive, so can't take them in her car (again this was very important to ME and something I considered when choosing who to place him with)
    • she doesn't have young children (they are in their 20s) again was something important to me with FDC as if your own child is crying and someone else's you are more likely to comfort your own first.
    • She is highly educated and has been in child are for over 20 years
    • her house is AMAZING she has converted her double garage into a playroom.
    • we go through YMCA FAmily Daycare so she has a coordinator who visits weekly as well as attends regular training etc
    • Lots of others.
    When deciding go to as many of each as you can. I paid planned and unplanned visits to Centres and met with ALOT of family daycarers. The minute I met the
    lady I use now I didn't look further, he just adores her...and so do I.

Good luck

I'm pretty sure 1 carer to 11 children is most definitely NOT allowed!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    Yeah it is. 1:12 is a pretty standard ratio for the 3-5 year olds at most centres.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the age. For an older room say 3-5 it would be 1:12.

My old room I used to run was 2 1/2-3 and our ratio was 1:8.

Ratios are changing though. But instead of cutting down the numbers most centres will just add a third staff member as they are still licensed to have a certain number of kids and dont want to lose money.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends on the centre and the family day care provider.
    I have worked in private child cares and school run child cares and have seen pros and cons of both.
    I have also seen some shocking fdc, but have also found an amazing one for my little girl.

I love the smaller ratios. She loves going so much, and because I spent 6 years working at child care centres I know what to look for and my day care mum does an amazing job. Her programming and planning is better than anyone ive known and she is so crafty and outgoing with the kids.

Also if she needs time off she actually hires relief staff to fill in for her who have experience eith kids just like a relief staff would at a centre.
    So its really who you find.
    Centres are great in that they are exposed to so much learning but I have often seen children get 'lost' in the crowd...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you serious?? Wow! At our centre there is min 3 carers in every room! My DD is 2 and there's 8 or 9 kids in her room the days she goes and there is always 3 carers in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you serious?? Wow! At our centre there is min 3 carers in every room! My DD is 2 and there's 8 or 9 kids in her room the days she goes and there is always 3 carers in there
    Wow thats really good. I dont think ive ever heard of a centre with such low ratios. Although I thinj there needs to be lower ratios, its great to see a centre doing it already

Thanks
    Reviews
    I *think* from memory (as the centre I moved to only caters for 2 1/2 year olds up- so I havent worked with ages under that in a while. But the babies room so 6 week- 15month is 1:4. 15month-2 is 1:6. Bare in mind 2 year old can be 2 years and 11 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I never went to see any childcare centres in my area, I personally like the thought of FDC than a CC.

Our first FDC mum (registered FDC) was great in the beginning but then slowly things started to become iffy. DS was there from 7months til 13months. As he got older and more mobile she would complain about him 'messing up the playroom', umm he's a kid! She would get him to eat at very specific times and if he didnt eat then, then he didnt eat at all. Close to the end I was basically feeding him his whole lunch box full of food on the way home in the car.

I pulled him out and put him with a mum that his counsins go to. This mum is unregistered so I get no rebate but she is awesome! She is like a 3rd grandma and loves all the children she cares for like they are her own grandchildren. Im so glad I pulled him out of the first FDC.

I just prefer the 'homelyness' that FDC is about.

Oh and my FDC mum RARELY takes the kids out. If she does, its only the older ones and because she REALLY needs too. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times she's taken any of them in the 2 years he's been there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennos Mummy View Post
    While I never went to see any childcare centres in my area, I personally like the thought of FDC than a CC.

Our first FDC mum (registered FDC) was great in the beginning but then slowly things started to become iffy. DS was there from 7months til 13months. As he got older and more mobile she would complain about him 'messing up the playroom', umm he's a kid! She would get him to eat at very specific times and if he didnt eat then, then he didnt eat at all. Close to the end I was basically feeding him his whole lunch box full of food on the way home in the car.

I pulled him out and put him with a mum that his counsins go to. This mum is unregistered so I get no rebate but she is awesome! She is like a 3rd grandma and loves all the children she cares for like they are her own grandchildren. Im so glad I pulled him out of the first FDC.

I just prefer the 'homelyness' that FDC is about.

Oh and my FDC mum RARELY takes the kids out. If she does, its only the older ones and because she REALLY needs too. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times she's taken any of them in the 2 years he's been there.
    The lady we used before took all the kids in the car to pick up her kids from school almost everyday, it was about 45mins drive each way. I was told about this by council lady at the beginning saying if i was to leave bub in her care after 3.30, my bub needed to get in the car. I thought I could always pick up bub by that time. It did not work out at the end anyway and now i am really glad he did not continue there

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using The Bub Hub mobile app