+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HLE View Post
    i have tried family daycare before, so here are my thoughts

1. no orientation, we only met her at her place for about 20 minitues weeks prior, and that is it, no orientation at all
    2. she told me i can only stay there with bub for half an hour due to council regulations, that means even in the first few days, you need to go and just spend little time with bub and leave your bub with a total stranger.
    3. Bub was very clingy for her, everytime she left him, he would scream. She told me she cant do anything with bub there.
    4. Bub was cried to sleep, I told her i am ok for bub not to sleep there at the beginning cause bub has never spent time away from me, let alone sleeping somewhere else, but she put him to sleep anyway, bub was shivering in his sleep ( I went in when he was sleeping). There was a 4 year old old girl who refused to sleep and she told her to go and watch peppa pig in another room so she wont wake other kids up. She said nap time is her cleaning time .

DS started childcare about a month ago and here are things i liked about CC.

1. i was told i can have as many orientations as I can. so by the time my son started, he already knew the carer and environment well.
    2. I can stay with bub as long as I want
    3. They have enough staff so when on son gets upset, one of them can cuddle him and even carry him around. I often found them carrying bub with them untill he settles down.
    4. He was not forced to sleep. for the first 2 week, my son did not sleep there, just spent quite time with one of the staff, I went and picked him up earlier on those days, surprisingly he started sleeping for them from third week and now sleeps there without a peep for good an hour or so.

However, every family daycare educator and childcare centre is different. Above are just my experience.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Your example of family daycare wouldn't sit well for me, that doesn't sound nice for you or bub I love my DDs childcare centre, love the girls, love the centre and communication. DD loves the learning activities they do, no tv etc, they have proper cooks to make nutritious meals etc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Reliability is really important for us as we don't have any family as a back-up if they cancel with late notice. I also preferred the security of a good centre (cameras, buzzer entry etc) because I have an irrational fear of DD being kidnapped (don't know why, just do!). I also preferred the more structured environment.

While I can see the appeal of the more casual FDC environment and the family-like atmosphere of some, I just wasn't comfortable with it. I am also very uncomfortable with the idea of DD going on errands etc with a FDC carer, I'd be worried sick that something would happen to her while out.

But maybe I'm just paranoid and over-protective!
    Exactly this! I would be SO uncomfortable with someone I didn't really know taking my child out into public! Just no.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    FDC makes me nervous, one carer = they aren't accountable to anyone else. They could be mistreating the children & you wouldn't know about it.

I understand the argument that conventional childcare centres aren't as "homey", but at least there are two or three carers in each room & there's an accountability to how well children are looked after.

We've found a nice balance - a centre who has a "primary care giving" philosophy, & lower staff-children ratios. A maximum of 12 kids to 3 carers (the legal ratio is 1:5, this is 1:4) & a situation where while there are three carers in the room, one is designated as our sons primary carer, so he gets a chance to build that attachment bond sometimes lacking in large commercial centres.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HLE View Post
    i have tried family daycare before, so here are my thoughts

1. no orientation, we only met her at her place for about 20 minitues weeks prior, and that is it, no orientation at all
    2. she told me i can only stay there with bub for half an hour due to council regulations, that means even in the first few days, you need to go and just spend little time with bub and leave your bub with a total stranger.
    3. Bub was very clingy for her, everytime she left him, he would scream. She told me she cant do anything with bub there.
    4. Bub was cried to sleep, I told her i am ok for bub not to sleep there at the beginning cause bub has never spent time away from me, let alone sleeping somewhere else, but she put him to sleep anyway, bub was shivering in his sleep ( I went in when he was sleeping). There was a 4 year old old girl who refused to sleep and she told her to go and watch peppa pig in another room so she wont wake other kids up. She said nap time is her cleaning time .

DS started childcare about a month ago and here are things i liked about CC.

1. i was told i can have as many orientations as I can. so by the time my son started, he already knew the carer and environment well.
    2. I can stay with bub as long as I want
    3. They have enough staff so when on son gets upset, one of them can cuddle him and even carry him around. I often found them carrying bub with them untill he settles down.
    4. He was not forced to sleep. for the first 2 week, my son did not sleep there, just spent quite time with one of the staff, I went and picked him up earlier on those days, surprisingly he started sleeping for them from third week and now sleeps there without a peep for good an hour or so.

However, every family daycare educator and childcare centre is different. Above are just my experience.

Crikey! That sounds horrible! I can honestly say that the FDC in my local area is nothing like this! Who runs it? Local Council? Ours is run by a Children's Services group, maybe that accounts for the heavily regulated setting?

We also had to sign permission notes for DD to go on excursions. Even if it were just up the road to the park.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thank you for all of your replies.

The positive feedback on the Day Care Centres are these on the Gold Coast? If so, which ones?

Thanks,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love my daycare centre, everything is so transparent. You can go in anytime you like, all windowed walls to observe at all times, always lots of carers, great hours, reliable. I wouldn't use fdc for many of the reasons already listed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every centre, and family daycare provider is different. I weighed up my own personal opinions before deciding. I chose FDC (family daycare) so I'm more than happy to list what I consider pros and cons:

cons:
    • That she has 6 weeks off at the end of the year
    • after meeting with 5 potential carers the one I loved is 30 mins drive in the opposite direction of my work from my house
    that is it!!!

Pros:
    • My son can eat, sleep etc whenever he pleases. There are no set times of morning tea, nap etc. this was very important to ME as I wanted him to develop his own routine. My toddler loves eating and could not just have morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea at set times.
    • His carer only has three children at one time and they are all his age! No one to 6 kids etc (some Centres have 1 to 11 wtf)
    • she doesn't drive, so can't take them in her car (again this was very important to ME and something I considered when choosing who to place him with)
    • she doesn't have young children (they are in their 20s) again was something important to me with FDC as if your own child is crying and someone else's you are more likely to comfort your own first.
    • She is highly educated and has been in child are for over 20 years
    • her house is AMAZING she has converted her double garage into a playroom.
    • we go through YMCA FAmily Daycare so she has a coordinator who visits weekly as well as attends regular training etc
    • Lots of others.
    When deciding go to as many of each as you can. I paid planned and unplanned visits to Centres and met with ALOT of family daycarers. The minute I met the
    lady I use now I didn't look further, he just adores her...and so do I.

Good luck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    Your example of family daycare wouldn't sit well for me, that doesn't sound nice for you or bub I love my DDs childcare centre, love the girls, love the centre and communication. DD loves the learning activities they do, no tv etc, they have proper cooks to make nutritious meals etc!
    yes, I am really glad that i pulled him out just after three days here, he became a totally different child after that, very shy, and it took a good 3 month for him to be comfortable being around others

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work full time in a long day care centre and I have also used FDC when my DD was smaller before I started working again. I had one bad experience and one great experience with FDC. The first time I tried it DD was about 5 months old and ha severe separation anxiety. The carer rang me after 40 mins and told me that she couldn't settle my daughter because there were other kids with her and DD was screaming. I was furious as the whole reason I put her into care was so she could adjust to other environments. I found it very unprofessional. The second time DD was 11 months and it was great. DD loved it and It was structured very well with portfolios done like in a centre and great stimulation. However after having my daughter in a centre I wouldn't go back to FDC. Yes its more expensive but everything is provided. My daughter gets nutritionally balanced meals which are cooked every day, the routine and structure is fantastic but all the staff are flexible to adapt to each child. I know that my DD is getting the developmental support and push that she needs and the staff are fantastic at communicating anything that they may be concerned about in regards to my DDs development/Behaviour and will work on strategies to manage that effectively. I would never look back. I am pregnant with number 2 and both my girls will be going back in 4 days a week when I return to work and it is worth every cent for the peace of mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never use family daycare after what I have seen. Not to say others shouldnt because There are no doubt some fabulous fdc providers out there. I was a fdc kid! my mum was a full time teacher and we spent a lot of time with our fdc Mum! It was wonderful, like a second home. I loved it and I wish I could give that to my kids! BUT in the last few years, I have come to know a lot of fdc mothers through my kids school and also playgroups and after school activities etc. I have found the vast majority to be pretty slack, and unprofessional. They focus a lot on their own children and I have seen fdc homes where random people are coming and going all day long, something which I would NOT appreciate as a parent I don't think there is enough regulation and over sight unfortunately, so while some will be good honest people, there are going to be some who just aren't.. and I have met a few who aren't grr! You have no control over what is on the television, where they hang out during the day, there is no back up supervision and they can cancel when they get sick etc.
    Long day care obviously has its draw backs too. Turn over of staff is a big problem in some centres. Some dont have a very positive culture so it's important to get to know the place before you decide its the right one. Its a tough choice.