Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child care centre or family day care

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cost, cost, and cost? And facilities.
    And obviously whether you can trust the person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Childcare centres have a much larger pool of germs from which to select your child's next illness. They have more staff to cover lunchtimes, tea breaks, days off and staff training or staff illness. There will always be a staff member in the room with the kids. There are v few circumstances under which they will phone you and cancel. Family day carers have to use the toilet sometimes, get sick, can't take a lunch hour or get errands run during hours. Sometimes they cancel. You can't control who is in the house with the kids, like teenage siblings.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to really old For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (08-08-2013)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've used both and will never use fdc again. I'm sure there are wonderful fdc mums out there but mine would cancel last minute on me - in a centre, they have back up staff for sick days and holidays etc. My centre provides everything including meals and nappies for the same price as the fdc where I had to provide that stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is in family daycare..the only con i have found is when the carer has time off or cancels. I either have to find a baby sitter or take time off work. I did look into a child care centre when i decided to go back to work full time but the cost was ridiculous! My fdc provides everything for my DD except nappies, and DD loves spending time with the older kids that are there for before/after school care. She also goes everywhere with her carer i.e supermarkets, shopping centres, play centres, parks, libraries, kinder gym. My DD loves it and thats what matters to me. Big pro for fdc is that there is more one on one interaction with the carer as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Reliability is really important for us as we don't have any family as a back-up if they cancel with late notice. I also preferred the security of a good centre (cameras, buzzer entry etc) because I have an irrational fear of DD being kidnapped (don't know why, just do!). I also preferred the more structured environment.

While I can see the appeal of the more casual FDC environment and the family-like atmosphere of some, I just wasn't comfortable with it. I am also very uncomfortable with the idea of DD going on errands etc with a FDC carer, I'd be worried sick that something would happen to her while out.

But maybe I'm just paranoid and over-protective!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS goes to FDC. I personally know the carer. So it's more like leaving him with a grandma. She also doesn't drive so doesn't take them driving anywhere. I like that its more like being babysat at home and not too much structure yet.

I probably wouldn't have done it with anyone else as was planning to go to a full day care until she started the FDC.

It is cheaper too. He has been there for almost 9 months and she has never taken a day off luckily.

I do plan on sending him to full day care at the start of the year as he will be almost 2 then and think he will enjoy being in a bigger group and the structure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I personally wouldn't use FDC. When there is other people around them, staff at the DC are more likely, imo, to do the right thing and stick to the rules. With FDC you usually have one person caring for your kids. They could be hurting your kids and you may never know.

I guess my perceptions are coloured since a local FDC lady who had lots of kids, was accused (and from the evidence I heard it was pretty solid) of hitting and yelling at the small kids she had.

The positive of FDC though is it doesn't have that clinical, institutional feel many DC's have and they get to play in a family environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've used both. I actually found FDC in my area to be excellent. It was highly regulated, they had a syllabus that was followed, all visitors had to sign in and out during the day. If my carer was sick or on holidays, I was always offered a backup carer which was usually one of two casual carers they had available.

The downside with FDC is the quality and standard of care appears to differ greatly in different areas. An ex friend of mine is a FDC carer down the coast. I would NEVER use her or any of the other carers in that area, for so many reasons.

Day care centre will always be more reliable and consistent. They are more expensive though. I found that once DD was coming up to 3, she needed a bit more social stimulation, which they do get in centre based care.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have tried family daycare before, so here are my thoughts

1. no orientation, we only met her at her place for about 20 minitues weeks prior, and that is it, no orientation at all
    2. she told me i can only stay there with bub for half an hour due to council regulations, that means even in the first few days, you need to go and just spend little time with bub and leave your bub with a total stranger.
    3. Bub was very clingy for her, everytime she left him, he would scream. She told me she cant do anything with bub there.
    4. Bub was cried to sleep, I told her i am ok for bub not to sleep there at the beginning cause bub has never spent time away from me, let alone sleeping somewhere else, but she put him to sleep anyway, bub was shivering in his sleep ( I went in when he was sleeping). There was a 4 year old old girl who refused to sleep and she told her to go and watch peppa pig in another room so she wont wake other kids up. She said nap time is her cleaning time .

DS started childcare about a month ago and here are things i liked about CC.

1. i was told i can have as many orientations as I can. so by the time my son started, he already knew the carer and environment well.
    2. I can stay with bub as long as I want
    3. They have enough staff so when on son gets upset, one of them can cuddle him and even carry him around. I often found them carrying bub with them untill he settles down.
    4. He was not forced to sleep. for the first 2 week, my son did not sleep there, just spent quite time with one of the staff, I went and picked him up earlier on those days, surprisingly he started sleeping for them from third week and now sleeps there without a peep for good an hour or so.

However, every family daycare educator and childcare centre is different. Above are just my experience.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by HLE; 08-08-2013 at 15:16.