+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, I have to agree. A) You're an awesome mama! And B) She's used to a particular response and that's what she's getting. Until that response changes (and stays changed) she'll continue to respond in the normal way.

I don't want to imply that you've done anything wrong, far from it! But you yourself said that she's a child that thrives on habit. That makes me think that the habit of making noise to get you to come in is simply that. A habit.

They say it takes 20-30 days to break a habit. I know that sounds like far too much when you're sleep deprived and you just want her to stop but if you follow the advice you've been given here hopefully you can overcome it a bit more quickly.
    So if it were me I'd just continually walk in, tuck her back in. Give her no interaction as that's what she's after. Don't talk to her, don't make eye contact. Just very firmly and lovingly tuck her back in and walk back out. Eventually she'll get the hint that bed time is time to be in bed and sleep. It may take many many tucking-s in, but hopefully you'll get there .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

onedayatatime  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for asking how it's going Grumpybump. Well, we've actually had good nights since I wrote the post! But I have experienced this before and after a few good nights (or even a few weeks of them) she starts up again. DH and I still think we need to do what you guys are mostly saying and that's tuck her in without interaction and ignore the noise as much as we can and try to hide our emotions. And I'm determined not to let a night 'episode' get carried into the next day. Miss 4 really did have a yuk day the other day as did I. I think she's been well put off 'trying it on'. But then I expect she'll get comfortable and the old habit will re-surface. ANEWME... I definitely have considered taking her to a paed etc, but I just truly feel it is only a habit and nothing more. I see no other signs of anything not right. She is just quite an interesting child. She seems to know so much! She speaks in such an adult way. It's not just me her adoring mum that thinks so lol! Most people who meet her are surprised. I used to work in childcare for years and years and I can think of only one other child she reminds me of, and that child was trouble with a capital 'T'! I'll check-in on this thread again when we get a bad night and I have to try the new technique. Am pooping myself about it but the old way is just useless. I'll let you know how it pans out. ps. thank you for such supportive posts everyone. I'm just so touched and feel so happy to have such lovely Mums helping me out.
    Last edited by onedayatatime; 10-08-2013 at 22:37. Reason: incorrect spelling of 'grumpybump'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

Eko  (16-08-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is every likelihood that things will get worse before they get better, particularly if she's overly intelligent because she'll keep trying new 'tricks'. But I'm sure you'll get there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

onedayatatime  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing to come back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still going well. We had one night only when she did it early in the night (we were still up) and DH went in and told her to go back to sleep and reminded her how well she's been doing. And that was the last we heard that night. Nobody mentioned it the next day. (until she asked to put a smiley on her chart. I just said lightly that she couldn't have a smiley for last night because Daddy had to go in and ask her to be quiet. And that's all I said. And changed the subject like the behaviour was no big deal) I gave her a reward today for having such a good 10 days or so. (Charlie and Lola magnets ) She was obviously very proud of herself. I know she had one slip-up in that 10 days but it was over quickly. I really want to encourage this improved night behaviour.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

Eko  (18-08-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, answered on wrong post sleep deprivation ...
    Last edited by ThisIsLiving; 14-02-2014 at 14:38.