+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about Special Needs Kids...

Ok, I dont know if I'm jumping the gun here or not. I posted last week that Im concerned about my 3.5yo DS.

I'm having a meeting with preschool tomorrow (standard meeting, not anything out of the ordinary) just to talk about how he's going and some issues.

So, this is what was picked up at school.

-Speech issue for his age - annunciation quite poor, cant say 'S', still replaces 'F' with a 'P'.
    -Very very easily distracted, poor attention span (I have noticed this at home too).

Ok at home, this is what he's like...
    -Very clingy to me.
    -Very poor eater, only likes hot foods not cold food.
    -Sleeps poorly overnight, currently sleeps with me.
    -Gets a bit 'nervous' I guess at certain things, he loves swimming but hates swimming lessons (dont know if this is normal or not, but I think its just coz he hates taking directions from the teacher).

There have been some changes at home, my DH is working interstate and only comes home on weekends, I'm sure the kids notice his absence, I would assume that its affected DS more than his little brother.

So anyways we've been in contact with a speech pathologist and we will be looking into that shortly.
    I also do think that he has very large tonsils and adenoids, which I'm going to go speak to the Dr about.. he snores when he's starting to get sick (and he's been sick the entire winter really), and I think there could be an issue with this, which if removed, perhaps would even help his eating and sleeping habits.

He is also very small compared to other kids his age.. His dad is short (im quite tall for a girl) and he weighs next to nothing.. but I didnt eat much either when I was his age..

But I'm still concerned about the lack of attention span. I also wouldnt have thought twice about the fact that he only likes hot food (I'm a bit like this too) except that a facebook friend's kid just got diagnosed with sensory issues and she listed what his issues were on facebook... So now I wonder whether my DS has something similar.

I know I could be overreacting and maybe am.. I just don't know where to go with this..

He's such a funny kid, he smiles alot, laughs, sings songs off the radio and is such a wonderful little boy... He's also great at soccer (he does little kickers) and he is really good at focusing on kicking - he definitely has great reflexes.

So can anyone point me where to go with this...

Whats my next step?

Thanks
    Reviews
    **Bump**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe have a chat with your GP. You can get a referal to a pead and/or OT. An OT will be able to help with lots of the issues you have mentioned above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    Maybe have a chat with your GP. You can get a referal to a pead and/or OT. An OT will be able to help with lots of the issues you have mentioned above.
    Agree with this get a referral for paed and OT. My daughter had very similar problems and was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (not saying this is his what your son has).

If you think he has tonsil and adenoid issues then he might have ear problems also. This can cause a delay and problems pronouncing words. My daughter with SPD just had grommets put in and adenoids removed plus does Occupational Therapy and her talking and attention span has come so far in just 6 weeks. Still working on the eating though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are so many different traits that are special needs, that are also neuro typical. The health nurse has questionnaire's that you can fill out to see if there is anything to be concerned about. The school will also be able to point you in the right direction. If you have any specific questions pm me I am more than willing to answer them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, very helpful.

I just want to do right by him.

If anyone else can provide insight pls comment, good or bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    Agree with this get a referral for paed and OT. My daughter had very similar problems and was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (not saying this is his what your son has).

If you think he has tonsil and adenoid issues then he might have ear problems also. This can cause a delay and problems pronouncing words. My daughter with SPD just had grommets put in and adenoids removed plus does Occupational Therapy and her talking and attention span has come so far in just 6 weeks. Still working on the eating though.
    My DD has SPD as well and we are in the process of additional assessments for potential ASD issues.

OP - I think you should get a professional opinion before you worry any more. Noone on here is going to be able to tell you whats going on - and as I have leared with my own DD - every child presents with different issues that can mean a lot of things. I would have driven myself nuts if I kept looking stuff up on google and trying to put a lable on my child that probably wasnt right for her.

Lots of PP kids fiddle and fidget and lots of kids need to see an ENT for anoids etc. But none of that can get sorted without talking to a doctor.

Good luck - I know what its like to worry about whats "up" with your child.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (07-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my 3yo DD just got diagnosed with ASD & most of your sons symptoms sound very similar to my DD (she might be a bit more sever, maybe not)

Speak to your GP for a referral to a Paed, Paed will assess & if nessessery refer you to a psyc & speech therapy.

Ill give you a run down of DD & see how much applies.

*Frequent inconsolable meltdowns usually due to frustration (eg instead of asking for help)
    *Aggressive towards other children, moves them around like pawns & doesn't recognise other emotions eg when they've had enough of playing with her.
    *Still mouths everything, and chews on things that arnt food. Her mouth is her main sensory tool, which also means she refuses to eat certain tastes/textures (will actually gag & vomit)
    *Still wakes 5+ times a night & will sometimes just wander the house, other times come looking for me
    *will NOT stay in her bed, comes into ours, sleeps on the lounge, floor etc
    *Speech has improved since grommets were put in, before then she wouldn't acknowledge you we're speaking to her unless 'in her face'
    *Repetive speach & behaviour (noises, questions, swinging doors, flapping, toe walking)
    *very monotone too.
    *doesnt (never has) says hi/bye without being asked

She's actually really 'smart' for her age, she recognises heaps of numbers, letters, knows many sight words, can write her name! Amazing at puzzles, knows that red & blue makes purple etc she even know most major continents & can point them out on a globe, she asked me to draw her a picture of mercury the other day :-/

But two way convocation is beyond her, if I ask her anything that requires more then a word word answer, she responds with gibberish or deflects eg will start being silly to take the attention off herself if that makes sense. VERY smart.

Her appointments went GP -> Paed -> ENT (for phyisically hearing issues) -> GP -> Psyc

Dd was just diagnosed on last Tuesday so psyc is currently organising speech therapy & OT (she's very clumsy)

She still doesn't really fed herself either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's also VERY clingy, always 2 steps behind me, can't sit next to me HAS to sit on top of me, is currently asleep on me :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks 4 all the replies.

Will see what the school and Dr say next week.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using The Bub Hub mobile app