+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Clicky hips, after the brace questions?

My niece has clicky hips. She was in a brace for a bit over 6ish months and after her hips were better but still not perfect but they hoped that they would improve as she grows. She just had her 6 months check up and they haven't really improved. She has to wait another 6 months of growing hoping that they improve and if not they said they will talking operations to fix them. She is walking started the week she turned one but you can see she moves one leg better than the other. They said there is nothing she can do she just has to wait and see.

Has anyone else had this happen? What is the operation? Will she be in cast etc? Any other info that may help? My sister isn't good at taking in info or asking questions she just kind of freezes up. Usually asks me what I think but I have no idea about this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes my dd had two open sections on her hip at age one and a half. She has had a total of four hip spica casts, google hip spica, it's not nice. It goes from nipples to ankles with a cut out bit at the crutch for toiletting. It changes everything....carseat, pram, they cant go in the shopping trolley or sit up etc. But you make do. It's not fun. At all. She had to have her femur broken and a plate and pins put in. It's still in there and she still limps. We have had countless appointments and her hip will need more work (more ops and casts) Around age four unless there is a dramatic improvement.

I am happy to chat about it. Our journey has been a nightmare quite frankly but our girl is just gorgeous and at age 2.5 is doing ballet, swimming and horse riding and has endless smiles though is very protective and gets quite upset about her leg if she falls over etc.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 06-08-2013 at 15:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    There is a great FB group called developmental dysplasia of the hip which has been a fantastic support. I would suggest she joins, it has been priceless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I realise that sounded very negative, sorry, I think I've got a bit of PTSD from the whole ordeal. Bottom line, we have out wonderful girl and she will be ok no matter what. We are lucky to live here
    In Australia and have access to good healthcare.

By joining that FB group your sister will be able to see that no two hip journeys are the same, some are reasonably straight forward. You sound like you are willing to support her which is wonderful and much needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was born with hip displasia, am now 31.
    Technology gas come a long way since I was 1 and my mum picked up a waddle when I started walking. I had a splint and also have had 6 operations, one which they broke my pelvis and realigned (when I was 1). The other operations were done as I grew and included full casks, splints and pins in my hips to align. My last operation was when I was 26 and they tried realigning again. I still experience a bit of pain but don't know any different really.
    Reassure her that technology is improving and though I still have pain I was lucky they picked it up early and I don't walk with a limp (unless I have a long day on my feet and am tired). I'm happy to discuss further if you want to send me a personal message.