+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Don't know how to confront this person

Quick background story...
    My Mum had a housemate with a 6 year old daughter who were living with her up until 2 weeks ago.
    We pop in regularly and the twins (4yo) usually have a sleepover on Friday nights. I haven't liked this girl after I caught her yelling at the girls that she was going to "Boot them up the bum" for standing on the front gate. Words were exchanged and I thought there were no more issues.
    Today the girls said "We better not go in there or C will smack us on the bottom again", I asked them about it and they said they'd gone into her bedroom and she smacked them. The way they said it and because of the other incident I most certainly believe them.
    I am SO angry and not sure how to confront her over it. I'm not sure when it happened but I'm not going to just ignore this, I've spoken to the girls and said if anything like this ever happens they are to tell us straight away because it's not on.
    My first thought was that I'd like to see how she likes being smacked but obviously that's immature and two wrongs don't make a right.
    Any advice on how to ask her about it?

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Smacking being thoroughly legal in Oz, I can't really see you have a leg to stand on. It's a crying shame.

Oh. Here I was thinking you were talking about HER children! Hopefully you never see her again.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 06-08-2013 at 13:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this woman some kind of family friend? Do you or your mother intend on having future contact with her?

I'm just a little confused, if she has moved out 2 weeks ago, why you would want to go looking for her to have a confrontation? Sure, she sucks and was out of line but if you don't have to see her again, I wouldn't bother. Don't forward her mail or tell phone calls to your mothers house she's currently with DHS and can't come to the phone.

If you DO have some sort of relationship with this woman, start by asking her about the incident and gage her reaction. Maybe ask her to apologize to your children and subtly suggest that if she comes near your children in anger again you may just look at assault charges?
    Good luck either way!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! Totally inappropriate! I'd speak to her straight up and tell her not to touch your children ever again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh she moved out, sorry! Will you/your family see her again for any reason?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Could you please clarify if it was the 6 year old child who hit your girls or the mother of the 6 year old? I assumed from your post it was the child.

Either way it's not on, but the approach would differ depending on who the smacker is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's moved out but my Mum looks after her daughter so she still drops around regularly.
    I don't want to start confrontation but definitely want to let her know it's not acceptable. And I hate that the girls seem to be so accepting of it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    Could you please clarify if it was the 6 year old child who hit your girls or the mother of the 6 year old? I assumed from your post it was the child.

Either way it's not on, but the approach would differ depending on who the smacker is.
    Sorry it was the mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just leave it seeing she has moved out and you don't have to deal with her anymore. If it was my kids I would tell them they shouldn't have gone in the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Would you consider making a phone call to her to discuss it?

It might be easier than confronting her face-to-face. I'd be livid if anyone smacked my child, especially considering we don't discipline our child in such a way.