+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Her routine can be pretty different & all over the place somedays, depending on when she wakes for her during the night bottle. She usually goes about 2-2.5 hours between sleeps throughout the day & has 5 bottles over the day usually 3.5-4 hours apart with breakfast about 2 hours after either bottle 1 or 2 & dinner at 5pm. Its hard as she will sometimes wake at 2am to eat & sometimes its 6 & it really throws her usual routine out. A normal day usually goes like this -
    4-5am bottle & back to sleep
    6-7 wakes for the day
    8 bottle
    8.30-9 nap 30 mins
    10 breakfast
    11-11.30 nap 30 mins
    11.30-12 bottle
    1-1.30 nap 30 mins
    3 bottle
    3.30-4 try for another nap but rarely successful unless in the car
    5 dinner
    6 bath
    6.30 bottle & bed
    I have tried to put her on a bit more of a strict routine but it doesn't seem to work with her. I also tried to give her a bottle at 7am no matter what time her night time bottle was but she won't have a bar of it till she is ready. I would like to get her to be a bit more regular with her routine but can't work out how to do it so those days where it gets messed up I try to go with the flow which is hard for me as I'm not that kind of person.

The last 2 days she has been a bit different with her sleep habits & feeds (stretching the time between out a little longer & possibly wanting to drop to 4 bottles) so I am thinking either the routine is about to change again or it's just a phase that will last a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing, I have a little cat napper as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleybelly View Post
    Olismumma, I hope the sleep school is helpful for you today.
    Thank u elleybelly :-)
    QEC was fantastic yesterday! Dd slept 2x1.5 hrs and another 1 hour catnap in the afternoon which meant I was able to stretch her bedtime to 6:30pm and we started the day at 7am!! Yay!!!
    She still woke at 5:30 but resettled after half an hr with her dummy :-)
    And the best thing is no bouncing on fitball to sleep anymore. It was really hard to see her so upset yesterday in the new surroundings, but it took 20mins for the first settle and only 5 for the next.... I've just put her down for a sleep 20mins ago so hoping she sleeps 1.5 hrs again.. fingers crossed!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to olismumma For This Useful Post:

B00ts  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Btw where is everyone from? Highly recommend the QEC it was one-on-one which I thought was great and only a group of 3 (usually its 6 though) :-)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boy is a catnapper, and has been for months (he's almost 11 months). But, unlike your bub, he doesn't seem to be affected by it, he doesn't seem to be tired by his 20 minute "power naps" as we like to call them.

My theory is that, he'll sleep as much as he needs. I rarely try to resettle him if he wakes up after 20 minutes. He does sometimes do 2 sleeps back to back, waking up after 20 mins, then going back to sleep by himself for another 20, but that's if he has missed a sleep.

Also, they aren't at any set time. They used to be *roughly* every two hours, then gradually he moved to two sleeps a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Yesterday he had just one 20 minute sleep at around 1pm - it was a quiet day - I guess he didn't need much sleep. A few days before, we did a three hour round trip in the car to a family birthday party and he had THREE long (more than 20 minute) sleeps - one each time in the car and another at the party. It was a busy day and he needed more sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is great olismumma! What a difference! Fingers crossed for longer sleeps today as well.

What is QEC? Was it just a one day thing? Would you mind describing what the day involved if you can. I am in Canberra.

Debsch, some days my dd is the same & doesn't seem to affected by the short sleeps. Other days she gets grizzly & upset later on in the day, especially when she refuses the late afternoon nap & goes more than 4 hours from her last sleep to bedtime. Because she isn't always phased by the short naps tho & she is good at self settling most of the time & is pretty good at night (although I would love a night with no wake ups but she is only little so I don't expect that) I'm not sure if I should just go with the flow & accept that she doesn't want or need long sleeps. When I have tried to force it we both just end up stressed out & upset. Have you tried anything to encourage longer sleeps or have just gone with your DS's sleeps?

As I speak I have just put her down for a nap (had 30 mins at 9 & is just tired again now at 12), she had a little grumble to herself & went off to sleep without the dummy even in.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Hi, I've just seen a sleep consultant for my son, who is almost 10 months old. He has wildly varying day sleeps - sometimes 20 minutes and sometimes 3 hours! She was adamant that he needed more of a routine than I was giving him, so I have spent the last week trying to work out his biorhythms. I have to do it in the pusher because he will always fall asleep there. So just within a week of making sure he wakes every day at the same time I have been able to work out what a rough routine will be to suit his needs. One thing she said is that when you have a baby with irregular nap times that go across midday, that it can really affect their sleep cycles and the length of their naps, particularly if there's a difference of more than an hour from to day to day. The same goes for extra long sleeps that cross their sleep cycles...

Not sure what my point is, but maybe just reinforcing that routines might be hard to enforce for her, as I have found here, but maybe given a few days you could sort of suss out what her natural routine is? Good luck, and I hope things improve for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    1;

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi elleybelly, thanks for sharing her routine.
    This is just my experience, but both my two babies were avid cat nappers up untill about 6mths. What changed was routine. I cant stress enough how important a consistant, predictable routine is. Day in, day out, everything has to be the same. At least up untill they are 12mths, THEN i find they become more flexible and you can more or less "go with the flow" only exception being night times. We are still VERY strict with my 2.5yr old's night routine.

Once we had routine down pat, my kids learnt to sleep longer, with time. BUT you HAVE to keep being CONSISTANT with your ROUTINE.
    If DS wakes early from a nap but has self settled, i get him up and keep him up untill the clock says it's time for his next sleep, not before. This takes ALOT of distracting! But then, he is more likley to SLEEP because he's tired and not just nap. I no longer re-settle DS. we have passed that. I had spent days on end doing that with him. i now know he will re-settle if he wants to, majority of times he does.
    I also let DS know sleep is coming up with some quiet cuddles on the couch or a swing/walk in my arms outside. This relaxes and calms him down. Then we change his nappy and he goes to bed. Its like this before every sleep.
    He is awake for a very consistant 1.5hrs between every day sleep. He is eating/drinking every 2 hours on the dot. Get up the same time every morning and goes to bed at night at the same time every night without fail.

We stayed home for 2 weeks to drill routine into both my babies (dh was on holidays and it was great to hav his support when i wanted to give up). That's what it took FOR US to get some sleep into our kids. We have not had any major issues since. Stick to your guns, dont try this or that because something isnt working a particular day. Keep doing what you origianly were doing or baby gets confused and plays up.

Goodluck on figuring out a routine. I bet your baby will learn to sleep after a good strong routine is in place and then encouraging longer sleeps through re-settling methods. YOU are in control, not baby!
    Dont hessitate to ask about other's routines on BH sometimes it helps to see how other babies are going about their days.
    P.s. it looks like you are doing an amazing job already.
    Last edited by B00ts; 08-08-2013 at 14:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice mrs Harvey. I have been thinking she probably needs more of a routine but its always such a disaster when I try that I give up. If its not too hard would you mind explaining how you worked out his biorythms, that sounds like a good idea but I've never heard of it, I would prefer a routine that is suited to DD than just forcing one from book or something. Also, what time did you start the day each day? And what did you do if he woke before that, just resettle until it was time to get up? I'm not sure what to so when she wakes an hour before she's meant to & won't resettle as everything is then thrown out of whack.

Unfortunately my DD won't sleep in the stroller anymore, the only sure way to get her to sleep is in the car & I can't really drive around all day. Even then sometimes the car won't work.