+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Covering absences from daycare when bubs is sick

I'm self-employed in the healthcare industry and so if I don't go in as bubs is sick and can't attend daycare, not only do I not get paid (and of course have to pay for DC anyhow), but my clients have to be rescheduled. Which is fine as a once-off, but would be annoying for them when it happens repeatedly - I think it would be a major factor in ppl stopping seeing me.

So I'm trying to think of ways around it. My DH's job is full-on, and while he might be able to swing an early mark if there is a crisis, i can't count on him being able to take a full day off. I have no family locally. I'm wondering if it's worth signing on with a nanny agency or similar to cover these times. I would prob lose out financially on those days, but in the long-term it might work out better if my clients weren't being repeatedly inconvenienced. But I am a bit worried about how my son (2y) would cope with being left w someone he didnt know, esp when sick. Has anyone else had to do this?

Would appreciate any other ideas. I have had to cancel entire days twice in the last 2 weeks and I feel like the current plan is not working very well, as despite this being his 2nd winter in daycare, he seems to get some bug every other week! I dont think it's making me v popular w the clinic management either....

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's really hard isn't it! Especially with them being in daycare, I know my DS1 seems to be sick every second week from daycare :-( do you have any family you can call on in an emergency? Otherwise I have heard of babysitting/childcare agencies that can provide carers for 'emergencies' i.e. when a child is too sick to attend daycare. I'm not sure if you have these wherever you are? I have been considering the same problem, as I will be returning to work soon and will have 2 kids at daycare to pick up all the illnesses :-(

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

anemone  (06-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, it is shocking - and I was really hoping he would be better this winter. He is a little - we are getting a week between ilnesses whereas last year it was a couple of days! We are doing all the natural health stuff possible to boost his immunity.
    We have no family in this country so that option is out, unfortunately. Have friends with kids but can't ask them to expose their kids to the bugs. All friends w/o kids are working...
    I might call a couple of agencies and see what their rates are. Or maybe could find a childcare student via the local TAFE...It would be nice if it was someone he had at least met before we had to call on them...

Good luck when you go back to work - I hope they have an easier run than my son

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good luck! We are in the same situation with no family here. And if course you don't want to ask friends with kids who don't work as you don't want them to get sick!

I started a new job after parental leave so had no sick leave accrued and DS was sick heaps when he first started daycare. DH and I just split it, but his employers were less than impressed as well (why isn't your wife at home with him?!).

I don't like the thought of leaving him with a stranger if he is unwell either, but there may be a time when we have no option. Would be expensive though as we would also be paying for daycare on that day!

It's tricky all round. I'd kill for a grandparent nearby!!