+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hi, new and some questions...

Hi, i was refered to this site by a friend. So i am sorry if this is not where i should be putting this Thread. I will read more as i explore the site
    I live in outback QLD, pretty remote and very isolating. My questions may seem dumb but i dont have any mother's group/friends with children to relate to or ask questions to!
    So here goes...

What age are you supposed to offer food BEFORE a milk feed (pref formula)?
    What age are snacks between meals and bottles usually introduced?
    What sort of daily routine do you have your approx 8 month old baby on?

Thankyou for reading/replying.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What age are you supposed to offer food BEFORE a milk feed (pref formula)?

It's said that at around 12 months of age babies should be eating pretty much 3 square meals a day as well as snacks. My advice would be to offer your baby some food whenever you eat, have baby join in on family meals etc..
    My baby is 12 months old and although many people start to wean their child off bottles at this age, I still give her between 2-3 bottles (small, 100mls or less now) over a 24 hour period (usually before she has her naps and an overnighter as she still wakes for a feed). I personally still have her on formula and haven't fully transitioned to cows milk yet.
    But there are no hard and fast rules, just read your bub's signs; some babies may not be taking as much solid foods as others by 12 months- other babies self wean at 8 months.. let baby lead the way, I say If they are eating well then naturally they wont feel the need for a bottle- I think my DD still likes to suckle for comfort, so I let her; she hardly takes 100ml these days.
    She eats 3 solid meals as well as snacks.

What age are snacks between meals and bottles usually introduced?

Between 4-6 months, usually- again, depending on each individual baby- some wont be ready to try food at 4 months, others will.

As for the 8 month routine, I'll let someone who has a baby around that age answer that one.. I can't really remember what we did to be honest.. but I'm very much all for baby lead weaning so didn't set strict routines etc.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 05-08-2013 at 15:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What sort of "snack" foods are appropritate for 8mth old?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi (and welcome!)

I have a 9 month old DD who has 5 milk feeds (she's breastfed) a day and three solid meals. Our usual routine is this:

7/7.30 - wake up and milk
    8/8.30 - breakfast. rice cereal, fruit and a piece of vegemite toast. She may have all or a small amount of each
    9.30am - 11.00am sleep and wake up with milk
    11.30 - 12.00 we usually go out and i'll give her rice cakes or corn cruskets to snack on.
    12.30 - lunch. veggies and meat mash (or just veggies) yoghurt and fruit puree. plain fruit.
    2.00 - 3/3.30 sleep and wake up with milk
    3.30 - 4.30 - usually go for another walk / grocery shopping where i give her more snacks of sultanas (which I have to put in her mouth / give them to her to hold one at a time) or a rusk.
    5.30 - dinner. meat and veggies, slice of cheese, fruit and maybe half a crusket ir a slice of wholemeal bread ripped into soldiers.
    5.50 - bath
    6.00 - milk then bed
    10.30 - dream feed

The type of snacks I give are corn cruskets (only corn and sodium) which I break into quarters. She can hold the pieces and eat happily. She also gets rice crackers (the baby specific ones with apple and carrot flavours etc) sultanas, sliced fruit. I may also give her some cheese between meals. With the fruit, some days she can eat it well, other days they end up on the floor, but I figure it's all about learning. The fruit she has is banana, strawberries, watermelon. I gave her some apple slices, which she chewed on, but didn't really eat.

I'm thinking about dropping the dream feed.

Also, If they do drop a milk feed I believe you're meant to substitute with diary, so add in yoghurt or cheese etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou DS is dropping either 11am or 3pm feed ATM. Today i tired plain yoghurt with my own fruit puree mixed in, instead of 3pm feed. It got him through untill 5pm dinner.
    Tomorrow i am thinking about moving the 11am feed to AFTER his lunch (1/2hr before his sleep time). Instead, at 10.30/11am, i might offer yoghurt.
    Come the 3pm feed i think i might try and replace with chese and a cracker.

He is only 7months though. He eats really well. But only takes about 300-400mls of milk or less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how much milk my DD takes, but the 11am feed is definitely her shortest feed, less than half the time her other feeds take.

Hopefully someone else who bottle feeds may be able to she'd some light on how much milk their little one takes.

I'm due if your DD is putting on weight and having wet nappies that he's fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At 8 months DD was having 4 formula feeds in the 24 hour period. I have started feeding her formula after food since she started solids at 6 months.

Usually she will wake up in the morning and I would give her weetbix mix with formula or water and fruit purée. Then about 2 hours later, around 10am she goes down for a nap and takes 150ml max before nap. Then has lunch. 150ml 2 hours after lunch right before her afternoon nap, then dinner around 5 PM. 220ml bottle at 7 then bed time. She has a mid night feed at 1:30am.

Now she's 10 months old and I have started to give her morning tea, I give her weetbix for breakfast then I would offer her formula 2 hours later but she's not taking it anymore, so I offer her fruits instead like banana, pear, blueberries etc. sometimes crackers or even bread. Then she takes a morning nap. Lunch around 12pm, then I would offer formula at 2pm before her nap, she might take 100ml if I am lucky, and after she wakes up I would give her some afternoon tea, like home made muffin. Then dinner at 5pm, some fruit after bath (she had 2 little pieces of mandarin last night), then 180ml formula before bed at 7pm. She would wake up around 12 for her mid night feed around 150ml.
    I will be cutting down the mid night feed around 12 months. I will also be replacing formula with cows milk at 12 months. She's sort of cutting down the milk feeds slowly herself during the day so I not going to force anything.

Snack ideas: fruits, soft veggie, toast, boiled egg, homemade muffins or cakes.
    Breakfast: toast with avocado, egg omelette, pancake, banana pancake, chives pancake, cereal (weetbix only), porridge, steamed egg etc

Lunch and dinner usually is what we eat minus the spices, salt and sugar if any. Softer or chopped up.

Offer water through out the day especially after meals she drinks about 10-15ml of water after each meal.

She's about 75th percentile for everything.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is 9 months old, but was the same a month ago.

He has 5 feeds a day, 180ml bottles during the day (sometimes leaves about 30ml) and a 240ml bottle before bed. If he wakes for a night feed around 2 he'll have 240ml and his morning bottle when he wakes is about an hour after he's been up.

He still has all his milk feeds before solids, we're doing BLW so milk is still his main source of food.
    Breakfast is different every morning but he has toast with avo or cream cheese, just fruit, egg free pancakes w/ fruit and/or yoghurt.

Snacks are yoghurt rice crackers (Table of Plenty ones are awesome), fruit slices, veggie rice crackers, cruskits with cream cheese, oat cookies, etc. trying to find more egg free snacks to bake and freeze for him!

Lunch is usually fruit, cruskits with tuna, hummus, chicken patties, polenta coated nuggets, if he didn't have toast for breakfast then a sandwich or veggies.

If he didn't have yoghurt for breakfast or lunch then I'll give him some after his afternoon nap.

Dinner is always veggies with a protein. Steak, chops, stew, bolognese, roast chicken, tuna, grilled snapper, etc. Sometimes also pasta, rice or quinoa. He doesn't eat a huge amount but loves to eat lol, but he's getting really awesome with his food. He's obsessed with peas at the moment so I give them to him as a snack too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies and ideas. DS is a big boy so im not concerned about his weight. I was more concerned about the little milk he's drinking but reading the replies it seems faily normal for the amount of food he's chowing down as well. I will continue to offer more food and milk afterwards.
    Thanks again