+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dropping day naps....

So it seems my 2.5 year old DS is in the process of dropping his day nap. He used to nap from 11.30am - 1.00pm without any issues whatsoever but in the last week or so has suddenly started to resist it. On the days he has taken naps we've then had huge battles getting him to bed at night (usual bedtime is 7.30pm but last night he didn't go to sleep till 9.30pm after napping from 1.30-3.00pm)... so I'm pretty sure he doesn't need that nap. We do lots of physical activities every morning too but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The problem is though that when he doesn't take a nap he then seems to become super tired and cranky by around 3.30pm-4.00pm... but I wouldn't dare let him have a nap that late in the day as he'd be awake after that till midnight!

My questions then... Is it fairly normal for an almost 3 year old to not have any day naps? And how do you all cope with the transition period where they are still adjusting to not having one? To be honest, I am freaking out a lot as I used to heavily rely on him having that nap to get a few things done around the house and have just 5 minutes to myself to relax in peace.... I could cry!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tormy, our boys sounds similar
    as DS is also turning 3 in October. Same thing with dozing off in the car and then not transferring to bed too. He's not in daycare at the moment but I'm contemplating it for 1-2 days per week as there's a chance I'll be working part-time again soon. For now though, I am fast running out of ideas on ways to entertain him all day every day at home...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS2 turned 2 in Feb and he is dropping his sleep. Yesterday I persisted and he finally had a sleep (so did my 5 yr old DS1 which is unusual) then both of my monkeys were up until almost 10pm!!! These are two children who's bedtime has been 6:30pm their entire lives and who normally sleep 12 hours straight. Needless to say I've not forced the sleep thing today and I'm pretty certain I'll have a monster at 4pm and a zombie at 6pm. I'm happy to drop his nap and just have a nice early night

Thanks
    Reviews
    my dd is 2.5 and still has a nap most days. we just play it by ear. She doesnt nap at daycare so we give her a 4.30/5pm dinner and 6.30.
    If we havent done much before her nap time im happy to let her stay up - she will happily lay on the couch with her blanket and watch dora ect for 45min-1hr. We call it "rest time".
    She will make up for any lost sleep by having a 3hr sleep from 12-3pm once or twice a week.
    we dont have issues at bedtime as her bedtime has been consistant for so long so she's pretty much programmed into going to bed at 7 everynight. Sometimes i hear her playing for an hour or so but she never mucks around or gets out of bed so i just leave her and she falls alsep when she wants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS dropped his day sleep just before his second birthday. Same problem, he'd be up till 10pm. I do wish he'd have kept it up though, days like today when I am dying for a little sleep myself, but he was ready to drop it. He's always had a low sleep requirement
    Last edited by duckduckgoose; 05-08-2013 at 14:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD started resisting her nap just after her 2nd birthday. I thought she needed it so I moved it back to 1:30pm and then 2pm but would wake her by 3pm. Even then some nights were a battle to get her to bed at 7pm so I would make bed time 7:30pm. I was so keen to keep the day nap because tea & bath time was a battle without it and I was also heavily pregnant and wanted the rest as well! In the end I started making her have a nap every second day and that is what we've stayed at for a few months now and it seems to work. Its like she needs a recharge every other day but just not every day. And as per PP she will fall asleep in the car if we are out in the arvo. So non-nap days I make sure we are not in the car after 3:30 otherwise she'll fall asleep and bed time will be a nightmare!