+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default my 7 month old is driving us all insane.

DS has stopped drinking his formula altogether.
    So, we have cut back his food, in hope he would be more interested in his formula.
    This was obviously a wrong move as he is no longer sleeping through the night and wont self settle anymore - actually he wont fall asleep at all he just cries. So im stuck home 24/7 because of him.
    My DD was a diffucult baby, but ds has reached new levels of diffucult.
    Ive lied to most people sayng he's a wonderful easy baby "i deserved an easy one after dd!"...not the case at all. I didnt want people thinking..."she's having trouble again, why did she fall preg so soon after dd?!?!"...i know thats what most pople i know will think or say about me. They have said it about others.

We cant get out of the house without messing up "his" routine. If we go out before he is due for a nap (during his awake time) we cant get him to sleep when we come home.
    He cries constantly from 7am when he has his first bottle untill 8am when i give him breakfast. He's happy for 45mins then starts to grizzle so he goes to bed usually with no hassles at 9.20am. Today he hasnt slept, he's cried the whole morning probably because he didnt drink his bottle at 7am, after that, i only offered half his usual amount of food. I offered the bottle before i put him down again but it was a no go. Ive nursed, cuddled, rocked spent all my ****ing morning with him and nothing is working. My 2 yr old has been left to fend for herself from 8-10am. It shouldnt be like this.
    Most people conplain about the baby not getting enough of their time/attention. My poor toddler never gets my 100% attention, ever. Yet she doesnt complain.

Im letting him cry it out. Ive dosed him up on panadol. Im at my wits end and i feel like im just about to explode if he doesnt stop screaming.
    Im on my own, no one around to give me a break except call DH and tell him to get the **** home, im not coping.

I thought he was teething, but he's showing no signs, his gums are soft. My dd didnt get a tooth untill 11months old, so im not expecting teething anytime soon with him.

ETA: he cried it out for an hour before he fell asleep from exhaustion. Im not in support of CIO at all. But it was my last resort this morning.
    Last edited by the very last country song; 05-08-2013 at 10:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You poor thing. I feel like I know this pain all too well.

At times like that I have just HAD to leave the house, otherwise I would completely lose it. Just seeing life outside, going on as usual seemed to restore my sanity a bit.

I wonder if he is starting to come down with something. It could be hard for him to breath when he is drinking from a bottle if his nose is a bit blocked.

But also, I never hesitated to call Dp and ask him to come home so I'd try that too, if needed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    he fell asleep for 30mins and hasnt stopped crying since. i offered his usual botte at 11 and he refused. i gave him some pumpkin soup and apples at 11.30 and he at it all untill he became less interested in it, no hassles there. He's now crying again, i move him from holding him, in carrier, swing, bouncer, floor. only happy for 5mins then i need to rotate him.
    I cant get out of the house "because i want to" or his whole day will be screwed up and he wont settle for bed time and will wake all though the night. Its just not worth going through a sleepless night. Plus, i havent eaten or had a chance to get dressed and its 12pm.
    i know something is not right with him. This cant be normal behaviour for a 7mths old.
    other than his unsettledness and not sleeping or drinking milk, he's healthy. He eats his food like its going out of fasion, wont touch milk. So he cant be that crook if he's eating food like he is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    maybe make an appointment to see a health care nurse or GP. Poor little mite- and poor mummy too! Have you got anyone near by that can come & give you a hand?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wonder if a trip to your local child health nurse would help?! Even too of course your GP...

You poor thing... My second baby was very hard (silent reflux, among other things) and I was under some false belief that second babies are easier... yeh, nup!!!

Try and get as much help and support as you can and remember you are allowed to ask for help... I didn't and it was my undoing!

Not much advice, but just hugs, it's not nice going through it. Put him down where he's safe and go and make yourself a cuppa...

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Could you try using a syringe to give him some milk or pop him in the bath?

Whenever my kids absolutely won't stop crying I walk outside. Just a couple steps outside the door and the change shocks them so they stop and I can calm them down enough to rock to sleep.

Also I really recommend eating something. Anything you can grab and eat. I find everything so much harder when I am hungry and thinking that I haven't eaten yet.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree put him in his cot, close the door, he is safe, then have a shower & something to eat... Then start your day again... My Mum always told me, being a Mum is not an endurance race, stop & ask for help... Call someone to help, even if its just DH, leave him with him & take you DD to the park & have some time out.., it may not fix him but at least you can come back with a fresher mind.

Book into GP & get him checked out, even for your own peace of mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, it does sound like you and bub could benefit from a visit to your GP, CHN or even maybe contacting your local sleep school.

I am finding it a little hard to make sense of your posts as they are somewhat jumbled, understandably because you are exhausted and frustrated. One thing I will say is that consistency is key, it sounds like in desperation you may be flipping from one thing to the next... i.e from cuddling / rocking to CIO etc, this will just confuse bub.

What time does your partner get up in the morning and head off to work? I found that getting myself up and out of bed (no matter how tired) and getting ready and organised before DH headed off to work was a major factor in setting myself up for the rest of the day. If I didn't have a shower and put my face on before he left the house then that would be it, I wouldn't managed a shower until he got home or I would have to spend time while DS was sleeping getting ready and organised instead of relaxing or having a power nap. Even at 11.5 months old this is still how we manage our morning, we all get up at 7am, DH gives DS his bottle, breakfast etc while I have a shower and get ready, pack nappy bag and all those sorts of things. Then I takeover between 8-8.15am and DH heads off to work. DH has already put bottles in the steriliser for me, unstacked the dishwasher etc, etc. Team work, team work, team work!!

At your DS's age, my DS would wake from his morning sleep at 11am, I would throw him straight in the car, his bag, pram etc would already be in the car ready and off we'd go, this way you can maximise the time you have between his sleeps. If I was out later than expected and he looked like he was getting tired I wouldn't stress, I'd just let him fall asleep in the car for his afternoon sleep, park the car in the garage and leave him in there to have his sleep (not when too hot obviously) my garage is cool and the door enters straight into my laundry & kitchen so I could cook, make my lunch or put some washing on and still be in view of my DS in the car. I know at this age when they are on a routine they do tend to have a short window of awake time but its just finding little tips and tricks to make it work for you.

If your DS is crying inconsolably and you are sure its not just because he is overtired etc then take him the Dr to get checked for peace of mind.

I am very pro-routine and I actually found that it made my life so much easier, not harder, but everyone is different, so I'm not sure what other advice I can offer you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry about my stupid mumbled posts. i am very frustrated.
    We have a strict routine. we have had the same one going since ds was 4mths old.
    We have been through intense sleep training and come out the other end. I know how much impact routine has. I know all about being consistant.
    We have a great morning routine. Mornings are smooth - i do it al myself as it's easier. I get up before the kids and get dressed/ (usually). DH is lazy and sleeps in every monrning. i usually shower at nights when the kids have gone to bed.
    But whenn ds wakes up as he did today, routine goes out the window no matter how hard i try to get it back.
    Im angry because its gotten bad again. and we have been through so much already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your baby is consistently crying and not settling or not happy for long, then I'd suggest you see your GP. Sounds to me like he may have an ear infection. If he's screaming and can't be soothed by Mums cuddles, then it's usually an ear infection. Also, don't let him "cry it out" unless you're 100% sure he's well, an un-well baby being left to cry for longer than 10 mins is very distressing and can (in some cases) be harmful. Best get him checked by a medical professional.
    Best of luck and hope tomorrow is a better day for you and your baby