+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Outdoor party questions

I'm planning a birthday party for my DS who will be 6 at the end of Oct. I'm expecting 15-20 kids max and a handful of adults.

I'm looking at hiring a shelter at a local park. The shelter has an electric BBQ & large tables under a large roof. It's right next to a large newish playground. Entertainment will be a face painter.

My question are;

what other arrangements do I make for wet weather? I'd rather not have that many kids at my house.

Do you think that is enough entertainment?

How long should the party go for? Will 2 hours be enough?

What time would be best to hold the party? I'm not sure about kids playing sport etc on a Saturday.

What sort of foods can I make the day/night before?

Any other tips or advice you can think of?
    Thanks
    MBO x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    WE had dd party yesterday at our local park/waterpark.
    I recommend a 2 hour party. The time will depend on whether you just want to do snacks or a full meal (eg a bbq). Another thing to consider is do really wants the kids it in the hottest part of the day.

Do plan on parents stay or are you happy for the them to drop and go. How far away are the toilets? Do have someone to do toilet runs and someone to supervise the other kids on the playground?

I would still do some party games.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (14-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can have party at McDonald if whether is wet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We had DS 1st at a park ( I had about 10 kids aged between 5-10 as well as toddlers)
    If its Saturday I would do after lunch ( just in case of sport ) maybe say 2pm? That way you can do afternoon tea/ party food instead of a proper lunch?
    Sausage rolls, chicken wraps, chicken wings, fairy bread, fruit skewers, veggie stick cups with dip or picnic type food would be easy and the kids would like plus you could do traditional party food like jelly cups, choc crackles , honey joys type stuff for sweets plus the cake? ( or if you wanted to do lunch hamburgers would be a hit as you have the BBQ)
    I find adults like kids party food more than the kids so I make enough for them as well plus an antipasto and cheese platter with dips
    Ours went for 3 hours and it goes really fast! I would organise 1 or 2 easy party games as the kids will think they are great - we did pass the parcel, pin the tail, egg and spoon races and a scavenger hunt which was the most popular !
    If its only a light sprinkle or overcast just go ahead kids don't care - if its pouring I would postpone until the week after if you don't want them all at your place!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (14-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out the shelter is already booked and so is the face painter! Omg it's 3 months away!! I thought I was getting organised early- turns out I'm too late
    Plan B is to hire a hall and a jumping castle if there is room for one outside. Sounds bad but I'm not keen on organising any games (a scavenger hunt right at the end is a good idea though) so I might hire a magician as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing!