+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feeling stupid and deflated :( *vent*

Note: not trying to advertise my business here.

I have a Facebook page and its a little hobby/business I have to help with bills and TBH it's pretty much full time work! I try my best to provide the best service by attending to all enquiries ASAP and not over pricing things and also I like to personalise it a little too. Most nights I go to bed around 1am and always answer messages when I am up for mid night feeds etc. I am always working!
    Sometimes I run sales like ridiculously cheap, obviously to bring more people into my page and also give people a chance to snap up some items for almost nothing as a way to show my appreciation for everyone following my page and supporting a stay at home mom.
    And to my surprise when I run these sort of giveaways I get more complaints than compliments! Most complaints are why am I doing the sales when they are not on Facebook! Or that they are peeved off because they missed something they wanted to buy because they were resettling their kiddies thanks to the time i set the sale. Or once someone said to me, just because you had to put your kids to sleep and late to start the sale resulted in me missing the sale!
    Or complaints about why have I sold the item to someone else when they have made an enquiry first! OMG! Seriously!
    I am trying so hard to please all my followers and all I get is this? I have worked in the retail industry for 15 years before this and I have never had a complaint about my service and now I am doing my own business I get more complaints about my services that the whole 15 years!
    Last night someone sent me an essay long complaint about why I had sold some item I made to someone else when she showed interest first. Even though its only a week wait for a second one to be made. And she was very harsh in criticising about the way I handle my business and even complained about the way I take photos!
    I instead of explaining myself (I can't 'hold' item for someone just because they have expressed interest, 'what color is it' or 'how can I buy this'. It's not fair to the people who wants to buy now, therefore it goes to the first person to comment sold or contacts me first with payment info.), I just apologised and thanked her for her suggestions. I didn't want to argue with her. But now I am kicking myself and I just can't seem to get over what she said last night. I feel like I didn't stood up for myself.
    I feel so deflated. Sometimes I wonder if all this is worth it!
    I understand that I can't please everyone and most people are very sensible and kind which makes it all worthwhile.
    It's just a vent, I am sure I will manage to build a bridge and get over it, but right now I feel like shutting down my page and just spend time with my kids and not worry about any of it!
    I am just so offended! Especially when I put so much time and effort into this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe you need to post some very clear buyer guidelines and pin the post to your page with instructions to read before shopping?

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (04-08-2013),αληθη  (04-08-2013),Jenga  (04-08-2013),Oblena  (04-08-2013),tubster  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Maybe you need to post some very clear buyer guidelines and pin the post to your page with instructions to read before shopping?
    I do. I have permanent notes there also I repeat the guidelines several times a day plus I pin one to the top of the page days leading up to the sale/giveaway. Eg I specify its random $1 sales can happen anytime after 8pm, and someone got angry at me because I didn't do one between 8-9pm because I was putting my kids to bed

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tubster For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh....I would be p!ssed off too OP.

I like how you handled it...you did not try to explain yourself...because you don't need to. Well done

Your job is making and selling items...you're not a freaking mind reader.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (04-08-2013),tubster  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you've experienced this, as someone who encounters issues/abuse like this when providing my service I know how crummy it is, I do have a little advice, so I hope it helps.

I've experienced similar issues when doing mobile hair services(people trying to haggle over prices, not paying for services, booking up half or more if my day then canceling last minute therefore costing me money.

So I had a friend who practices law help me draw up a little disclaimers/terms and conditions, page which I provide to every prospective client. Some have responded a little offensively, but most have been completely understanding.
    It has saved me a tonne of trouble, usually the people who argued with my terms (i'm assuming here) would likely have screwed me around and cost me money in the end, and given others boundaries of what I believe to be acceptable when providing a service. I find people can forget this when they aren't in a typical store for example.

It might be worth popping up some terms and conditions on your page (like first person to contact with payment details gets the item, not the first to simply express interest) etc etc. You can always update them if any new problems arise. I hope this might help you in the future.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VanityFey For This Useful Post:

tubster  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are some people in this world you can never please. They seem to think the world seems to revolve around them.

Try not to take things to heart, although l know sometimes it is hard not to.

I was selling a fish that is rare to come by. I had a interest almost as soon as l put the ad up, and a guy said he would come pick up the fish. The third guy to message me about the fish was obviously annoyed he missed out and kept sending sms with comments like "what happened to first in first served?"
    I explained that the other guy was first to message me and is picking fish up now...and he still kept going.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Night Owl; 04-08-2013 at 19:32.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sucks I think people are completely different over the Internet too, the things they are saying online I highly doubt they'd say it to your face in real life!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (04-08-2013),tubster  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That does seem out of line and very rude!

I buy a LOT of stuff from WAHMs as I find the quality good and you can get exactly what you want. In a few instances though I have found it way too unprofessional, even allowing leniency for the fact that it is a WAHM business. Things like saying something will be 2-3 weeks and then it being 6-8 weeks, or not responding to queries, or taking ages to post. But I just wouldn't buy from them again and would never abuse someone like that! Some people just have too much time on their hands and agree they wouldn't have the balls to speak to someone like that in real life. Cowards!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Even though you have these, if you are getting stupid complaints and are tired of explaining them, I would skip explanations and say something like "sorry you are unhappy with services, please refer to buyer guidelines for an explanation" or something like that (sounding more professional, of course). Skip the long explanation for whingers who don't deserve it and just have a standard response ready!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellymoe For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-08-2013),china123  (04-08-2013),αληθη  (04-08-2013),tubster  (04-08-2013)