+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Speech question about 2yr old

Hi everyone.. I just have afew concerns about DDs speech and was wondering if others parents/ child health nurses (if there are any on bubhub) could give me an idea if i should go to a speech pathologist..

DD has just turned 2. At 12months she roughly said 5 words clearly...since than her Vocabulary has been of roughly 20 odd words...she doesnot speak in sentences and word joining she says "whats that" and "where is it" both not very clearly.

She understands everything that i tell her ..like if i ask her to sit on the chair or get the towel..etc..she will do that..she will converse with you in her baby babbling and occasionally will say one of the words she knows ..
    shes very friendly..loves kids..
    loves to read..she'll sit with her books and read to herself.. I do activities with her also and point out things to her..
    my child health nurse said that at 2 she should have a vocabulary of nearly 45-50 words and be able to join words to form sentences..
    should i get an appointment with speech pathologist?? Any advise will be appreciated!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd has got a speech delay and at 2 only had about 8 words. Yes I was advised that she should have had 50-100 words and beginning to make short sentences.
    I would think it would be a good idea for you to see a speech pathologist for an assessment. We have started sign with our dd and this has helped her speech a lot so far. We got referred to our public hospital speech pathology dept at about 2yo and now have services through them which has been very helpful.
    I hope this helps good luck. Happy to answer any questions if you have them

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and my dd understood everything too -could follow commands but just couldn't speak. They get frustrated after a while.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks cooking monster for your response !!

Bump for the night crew!