+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Ladies

i really appreciate your advice. I had read about the batch numbers and we also contacted Karicare this morning and they were very helpful. That said, it is frightening that this contamination has occurred and as mentioned this is the third time Fonterra products have been compromised. Far too many in my view when it comes the the interest of babies.

The issue in China was also linked to Fonterra with them allegedly having a 43% interest in the company responsible for the melamine contamination. So I think we might just give the Bellamys a go.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just read this. Thought I'd share

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...-1226690892545

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

laned  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg! We use the infant formula. thats made me feel really unsettled. I know its says none made it to be sold in Aus but the what ifs are scary. I hate stuffing around with formulas as my DS is only 9 weeks and we have already tried nan which gave him explosive green poos and a fiery face rash and we tried karicare thickened formula as he jas reflux but it made him scream in pain from constipation. We are using the karicare infant and have just started losec so im confused and stressed about if I should switch formulas now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, the only two over the counter hypoallergenic formulas I am aware of in Australia are aptamil HA, and NAN HA. Cows milk protein has two components, casein and whey. HA formulas are made of the whey component and omit the casein which causes most of the allergic reactions. Unfortunately the company that make the NAN are just as unethical and I never recommend it as they changed the recipe last year and it really upsets babies.

Bellamy's has soy, casein and whey but its manufacturing process is different so babies tend to be happier. Holle also make an organic formula and a lot of babies do well on it. I actually prefer it to Bellamy's. if your baby doesn't have a cows milk issue then holle is one of the better formulas. Goat is another option but harder to source. You can also make your own formula. Just google on the Internet.

A lot of people are under the impression that a) the formula companies have babies interests at heart - they do not and B) think powdered formula is sterile - it is not.

Good Luck. I hope this helps!
    Last edited by babychiro; 05-08-2013 at 22:45.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babychiro For This Useful Post:

laned  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jez, Try Karicare Allepro. You may initially have to add a couple of drops of good quality maple syrup for taste. Also some babies appear to have a reaction to it initially but can improve after two to three days. The poos will become loose like a breast fed baby, but this is normal. This is best done under some sort of medical supervision. Research your Losec. I bet it helped only briefly!

Good Luck
    Last edited by babychiro; 05-08-2013 at 22:46.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babychiro For This Useful Post:

laned  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Contact your dr jez. Some of the symptoms you describe can be cows milk protein intolerance. A poop test can help with this diagnosis but isn't definitive. I use allerpro with no complaints. This has been under medical supervision. I also weaned my dd onto it gradually but a little flavour like pp said or vanilla essence can help. My dd wouldn't drink other formulas used to treat cmpi but she drinks allerpro.
    I also tried losec but found zantac worked far better. Also if your bub has cmpi then you might find reflux is nor the problem. Good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

laned  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Contact your dr jez. Some of the symptoms you describe can be cows milk protein intolerance. A poop test can help with this diagnosis but isn't definitive. I use allerpro with no complaints. This has been under medical supervision. I also weaned my dd onto it gradually but a little flavour like pp said or vanilla essence can help. My dd wouldn't drink other formulas used to treat cmpi but she drinks allerpro.
    I also tried losec but found zantac worked far better. Also if your bub has cmpi then you might find reflux is nor the problem. Good luck.

We have a pediatrician appt in 3 weeks. He had only been on the losec for 3 days. It took 3 GPs before I finally lost my **** and rang a clinic in tears and spoke to a lovely nurse who told the already booked out GP that he had to see me now. I just kept being told to keep him upright and burp him lots etc etc. He was projectile vomiting so bad that DH thought I spilt a bottle on the floor and kitchen cupboard but it was where DS had vomited from 3 feet away. My DD has a dairy intolerance and I did ask the GP about cows milk allergy for DS but he said to discuss it with the pediatrician.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, lots of excellent information.

Jez - Is you little one projectile vomiting after every feed and is it getting worse or closer together?

my little one had projectile vomiting that everyone including Paed said was reflux, until it became so bad he couldn't tolerate any feed, had decreased urine output and was lethargic. An ultrasound demonstrated that he had Pyloric stenosis (which usually presents at about 5 weeks). He underwent corrective surgery and boomed thereafter.