+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Thumb sucking Baby...Advice? Stories? Reassurance?

My almost 10 month has started loving his thumb and uses it to go to sleep. Once he sleeps of course the thumb is released.

I am a bit torn about thumb sucking. I know it really soothes him cos he literally puts himself to sleep so easily for naps and bed times but I worry about dental issues and bad habit. He has a comfort object (Cuski) but once I hand it to him he cuddles it and then thumb straight into his mouth. Also, sometimes when he is left playing on his own, he pops his thumb in too.

I have tried to pull his thumb out once (don't judge pls) but it doesnt work cos he gets upset so now I just let him.

My main question is if you have babies who used to suck their thumb, how old did they get out of it and did they have any dental issues when they were older? Did your kid do it constantly or only when they need to go to sleep?

I have two girlfriends who sucked their thumb till 8 or 9 and that seems a long time.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD sucks her thumb, and has since she was tiny. I was reluctant to discourage it because she loved it so much and it helped her sleep, for comfort etc. I would have no chance of stopping it now.

My sister sucked hers until 12 or 13 and has lovely teeth, I'm not too worried about that side of it.
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 04-08-2013 at 12:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sucked mine till 12. Only stopped so I could get my ears pierced (deal with my parents). My teeth aren't great but they aren't buck. Just too many teeth for a little mouth, so 1 is crooked. My sister is the same but didn't suck hers so I don't think it made a difference. I was a HEAVY user too

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I still find myself sucking my thumb sometimes >__> I have no dental issues.

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD 13 weeks is trying to find hers too! She's a little unco with it. It's frustrating her more than anything else. I have the same concerns , 2 of my sisters did it for ages! My 6yo sister still does it at bed.

I guess you can't really stop them though. DD doesn't have a dummy she hates them. No advice. Curious to see what others have experienced.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Same deal here, DS2 won't touch a dummy but is an avid thumb/fist sucker at 4 months. He's been trying to suck on his thumb even from birth so I think it's just instinctual sometimes.
    DS1 wouldn't have a bar of thumbsucking (I tried, believe me. On the nights when he kept spitting his dummy out and waking up I'd sacrifice ANYTHING for more sleep hahaha) so it's all new to me.

I'm not discouraging it. Frankly I think most kids drop it when they realise that their friends aren't doing it *shrug*. My sister had awful bucked teeth and was a thumbsucker. I was a thumbsucker and none of my dental issues are related at all to that, so I guess it just depends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby girl, who is now 21, sucked her thumb up till about 4-5 and maybe longer as she fell asleep. The only issue I ever had with was a psycho MIL (now ex thank god) who made a big thing out of it and tried to make her feel shame for doing it. But after smacking MIl up side the head enough times and telling her to stop being a cruel cow (in a PC diplomatic way of course) that settled.
    DD has beautiful teeth, we have a slight over bite but that is genetic face shape and nothing else. I was also a thumb sucker and I also have the most freakishly perfect teeth, straight and super quality like my DD.
    Our dentist always said that plastic drink bottles pulled open with teeth was worse, or being on a bottle for too long cause much more issue with deformity and definitely with decay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My niece sucked her middle two fingers from infancy. She is now 9 and still does it sometimes (although denies it vehemently). Throughout childhood she has often had ulcers on her fingers from where they rub on her teeth, she now has very buck teeth, a shocking lisp and his very 'spitty' when she talks.

I don't think you can do anything about it when they are a bub, but by toddler years I'd be trying to discourage it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read any replies but I sucked my thumb until my twenties. It was in there pretty firmly even when asleep - mum tried to pull it out. Ended up with big marks from my teeth but no dental problems - get compliments from dentists on how good my teeth are. I wouldn't worry at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd loved sucking her thumb. She sucked it to sleep as well as when she was awake. When she was 2.5 I asked her if she wanted me to help
    her to stop and she agreed so we went to the shops and bought some Disney princess bandages (which she loved) which I put over her thumb. I also bought her a pillow pet to cuddle for the comfort factor. The bandage helped remind her to not suck her thumb. She was really great with it all. First nap and sleep took a bit longer for her to get to sleep and she was a bit whingy but she did not ask to take off the bandage and did not try to suck her thumb.
    Bc she loved the bandage so much I let her have them on for about two weeks and she did not suck her thumb at all.
    I have nephews and nieces who sucked their thumbs until about 5-7 years and their teeth are fine.
    I think if you do want to so something about it then toddler years would be a good time to try.