+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Preparing a house for sale with young kids ... hard, right?

We are trying to prepare our house for sale and we're really struggling. My dh & I took last week off work and spent long hours preparing the house for sale. That meant dd was looked after by a friend and our dd who has never had separation anxiety now is super anxious when I'm not around. As a result she's stopped sleeping in her cot at night and most nights is awake for hours on end. So, we're trying to clean/tidy/declutter/etc with majorly interrupted sleep and a clingy toddler underfoot.

So, is this pretty normal? Do you survive the process? We're hoping to go on the market in 3 weeks, but it seems we won't make that deadline (we want to move, don't *have* to move). Part of me wants to get it over & done with and part of me says to relax and take our time ... but we've already been working hard towards this for 6 long months.

Any tips/hints on how to survive this process on limited sleep with 2 kids who want & need attention, but also like making mess (they are kids after all)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We just sold a house with 2 toddlers and it wasnt too bad as long as you have a routine. For example we worked out with our real estate agent to only have buyers through on Thursday afternoons and open houses every second Saturday. On these days one of us would do a tidy up while the other took the kids out. Worked a treat! You just have to tag team.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

mim1  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our house was on the market for a year and it was so hard with a little one! I feel your pain. Agree with the PP about tag teaming the cleaning. Unless you have a chilled out kid it is hard to clean around them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

mim1  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep ... Very hard!!! I was selling my 4 bed, 2 living area place after my split with my exH. I was a single mummy, working and had two kids in tow. I had to leave the house spotless each morning as my real estate agent would bring people through while I was at work. Stressful was an understatement. After 7 months of this I'm surprised I didn't have a nervous breakdown. My ex didn't help at all. I drank wine A LOT during that period!!!

Hopefully yours sells more quickly :/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

mim1  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going through this at the moment. Our house was originally auction sale, which meant 2 opens a week for a month. That was really hard with 2 kids and a dog. Our auction failed miserably, and now we have it listed as a private sale. 4 months in and we still have opens but they are by appointment now which I am finding heaps better as there are nowhere near as many opens now. (not sure if thats a good thing or not in terms of no one wants to buy our house)
    I agree with PPs about tag teaming. I couldnt imagine how I wouldve got it done otherwise. I cleaned while Dh took the kids out in backyard. Once you get the hang of it, it wont be as bad anymore.
    Good luck, I hope the house sells quickly for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiritofaWarrior For This Useful Post:

mim1  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I sold my house while I had two young kids and was heavily pregnant. It was bloody hard! I had to do it myself so I did a major declutter and put a lot of stuff in storage, basically we ived with the minimum needed so that cleaning was less effort. I was a bit of a crazy person during that time, frantically cleaning before inspections. Thankfully the house sold very quickly!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

mim1  (04-08-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is hard, that's for sure, but you manage because you just have to. When I sold my house I was a solo mum with a 1, 4 and 6 yr old. And I moved countries 2 days after settlement. You'll get there, it just takes a lot of patience, and perseverance. Live as minimally as is humanly possible, pack away ANYTHING that is not absolutely necessary, not only does this make life easier re: cleaning up, but makes your house look a lot better to prospective buyers.All the best
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 04-08-2013 at 13:24.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

mim1  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. We're still working on the decluttering but we're at the final stages of this. It's probably the most liberating, but painstakingly frustrating part of the process. We have got rid of SO much stuff, but there's still so much stuff yet to go somewhere ... of course most of the current stuff is in crates or bags or piles because it's come out of furniture that we've put into storage in readiness for sale.

Apparently our house is in high demand and the average sale time is around 30 days, so hopefully once we finally get it on the market it will sell quickly. Being on the market in a decluttered, minimalist house isn't actually that scary anymore ... it's getting to that point that I feel is going to be harder.

Major decluttering now makes the actual move easier, right?

I've got agents coming tomorrow for valuations and I'll definitely be choosing one of their open for inspection strategy. I really don't want pressure to open the house to one group a day for most days of the week - I work part time and our dd sleeps for 2 - 3 hours an afternoon, I don't want to leave the house for an hour a day with little warning.