+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had peth when in labour with DS followed by an epi a while later. The peth did basically nothing for the pain but made me relaxed and happy in between contractions. The epidural took ALL the pain away and I slept until it was time to push. I couldn't feel myself pushing and so was very ineffective and DS was ventouse.

For DD about half an hour before she was born I had remyfentanol (sp)? Highly highly recommend it. Took the edge off the pain, gave me something to focus on (pressing the button to deliver a short-lasting hit) and made me feel pretty good in between contractions. Ask your midwife/OB about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ummi View Post
    Hi

I was wanting to hear from people who have used either or both peth and epi during labor. Specifically I'm interested in learning which is more Calmative. I am not really concerned with which gives better pain relief, just what will keep some one who suffers from anxiety, calm and functioning.

I have not used either, but I do find codeine calming which I believe is a 'cousin' to peth. I am concerned with an epi that I will not be mobile, as I've never labored in a bed, and don't want to, amongst other issues.

For those who used peth, what type of monitoring was insisted on.

Thanks in advance
    I had the epidural. It took the pain of the contractions away but if you suffer with anxiety it may not the best. Having to sit still while a needle goes into your back can be hard & once it was in I felt slightly chlaustrophobic (sp?) for a little while. Thinking I had this thing stuck in my back & I couldn't get off the bed. I had to put that out of my mind!

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    With my 1st labour I had peth followed by an epi. I didn't find the peth did much and my epi didn't work. With my 2nd labour a had an epi which again didn't work. My savior in my 2nd and 3rd labour was the gas, it kept me calm and focused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had peth with DD and it was perfect, before it I was panicking and asking for a c-section. They gave me the peth and 15 minutes later I was sitting on the bed having a lovely time lol. Once it wore off it was time to push and I was good to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had pethidine for both my labours. First time I found it really relaxed me for a good 1-1.5hours and took the edge off the pain. then it wore off and I got an epi which was great. Took a little while to get it working on both sides but once it took the pain away I was sooo happy after hours of back labour. I was also calm thru transition and pushing. 2nd labour I had peth again and felt it didn't take pain away or relax me as much. Possibly because DS was stuck on the edge of my cervix and pushing against my pubic bone? I decided I could get the last few cm's without an epi but once he got stuck I was REALLY wishing I had it. Transition and pushing were very painful and I was too exhausted to enjoy DS for the first hour after he was born. I recommend you give the peth a go early on when you feel yourself getting too anxious. It might be all you need to get thru it but use the epi if you need

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suffer from ridiculous anxiety, which I take nothing for, I rely on my own techniques which is usually water, knowing where a bathroom/exit is and an inhaler (I have asthma, but it's also for peace of mind if I get short of breath/panicky) - I had peth at the beginning of my induction and it had ZERO effect on me. Epi (while it worked) had a calmative effect as I got to relax, so the pain relief helped me calm down - the gas made me feel like I was dizzy and about to have a panic attack - so out of all three, I'd pick the epi.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Peth was so stupid. I actually hurt more to get it then the epi which I didn't feel at all. Epi stopped working for me at the end though.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had pethadine. It was given too late and caused bub to have problems and did nothing for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both. I found the peth didn't help with pain during contractions (I was screaming for an epi but they told me to try peth first) but tbh it did help with the panicking so I'd give it a go. After a couple of more hours still screaming for an epidural for pain they relented. I think the pethadine helped in keeping me still whilst inserting the needle for the epidural though. Man I loved that epidural I was a little bit worried at first as it took several hours before I could feel my legs again but it was all good

Gas was bloody useless I was panicking too much to concentrate on breathing it in lol
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-09-2013 at 09:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im allergic to peth and morphine so i couldnt have them.. The epidural was fantastic and i went on to have an epidural with my c section for #2