+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Have u used pethadine and/or epidural

Hi

I was wanting to hear from people who have used either or both peth and epi during labor. Specifically I'm interested in learning which is more Calmative. I am not really concerned with which gives better pain relief, just what will keep some one who suffers from anxiety, calm and functioning.

I have not used either, but I do find codeine calming which I believe is a 'cousin' to peth. I am concerned with an epi that I will not be mobile, as I've never labored in a bed, and don't want to, amongst other issues.

For those who used peth, what type of monitoring was insisted on.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've used pethadine and epidural. Epidural is fantastic for pain relief but the pethadine is more calming and gives a drowsy affect so would probably use that for anxiety. I was being induced so had a MW with me at all times so not sure if you get extra monitoring or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I used peth. I tried it for similar reasons, my contractions were coming on hard and fast and all I needed was a chance to rest rather than needing the pain to go away. It did the job a little too well... I went from 4cm to 10cm in 90 minutes! But it definitely helped me relax. I tried the gas at one point but gave up as I didn't want to have to think and suck it in at the right time.

I loved peth but will not have it again, as there is a risk that bub's breathing could be affected if it is given less than two hours before birth. I was checked before it was given to me and everyone thought I had plenty of time, but DS was born exactly two hours later. He was unaffected but having had one very quick birth it is not something I would risk again. Had my first birth taken longer, I would probably have a different view. This time though I feel confident enough to get through it drug free.

I was on continuous monitoring but I was induced, I'm not sure how the monitoring would have differed if it had been a spontaneous labour.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both and I found the Peth made me very sleepy, once the epi was in I just snoozed for a couple of hours so I would agree with BabyG4 that Peth would be better for anxiety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pethidine will probably make you sleepy so I guess it's calming. The hospital I go to are phasing it out because it goes through to the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Similarly to Hamilicious I had peth when they thought I had heaps of time left I was only 3cm when they gave it to me and DS was born 45mins from then. I also suffer from anxiety and wanted something to help me relax but I would not have it again it did help me relax in between contractions but did nothing for the pain and actually hindered my ability to cope with the contractions because I felt so out of it. My son never had breathing issues but could not suck at all for the first 48hrs after labour and this affected BF greatly I have since been told if my labour had not progressed so quickly and the peth had had time to wear off it probably would not have happened. If I was to have another child I would not have it again mainly because of how out of it I felt and it really did nothing for my anxiety in fact I think I was more anxious because I felt so out of control

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had peth with bub #1 and it was wonderful. Took the edge off the pain and made me drowsy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had peth as I was induced and not coping with the multiple contractions - I had no idea how fast and intense the process would be. It didn't change the pain but allowed me to focus and keep going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both. I didn't feel much difference having pethidine. I felt more effect having the epidural. I found that made me more relaxed and able to have a break from the hard and quick contractions.
    If I ever go again, I wouldn't bother with pethidine and go straight to epidural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had epidural with my first . Found it helped heaps , took away the pain of the contraction and allowed me to get some rest. It did wear off by the time I was pushing so I felt everything.
    With my second I persevered without any pain relief as the midwife told me epi would lengthen labour by a couple more hours.