+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default It's kids public speaking time again...

... and we are exasperated already!!

After sitting here all afternoon DS1 still doesn't have a topic, and I have no ideas either. So... if anyone has some great ideas to throw our way it would be greatly appreciated!

He is in year 5. It's a 4 minute speech, and should be persuasive. The note says "students should speak about an issue or problem in society such as poverty, war or the environment".

Help??

DD also has one to do, but that should be a bit simpler, about pets, holidays or family members.

We've also been given the Premiers Spelling Bee list to learn. Oh how the school loves to torture us parents!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Asylum seekers? Homelessness? The environment? dSD did one recently on whaling.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

babyla  (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Plenty of info in the asylum seeker thread for a persuasive talk.

4 minutes is a looong time to talk!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    So, I'm trying to think what I would have recommended by grade 5's think about...

ENVIRONMENT:

The great barrier reef
    animal hunting (duck/ fox etc)
    Farm animals effect on the environment- eg cows- the amount of methane they produce is bad for the ozone, so what could be alternatives

SOCIETY:
    Could write a persuasive argument about children aged maybe 8-13 having more free/cheap programs to give them something to do outside of school

Youth homelessness

The PNG plan (check out the BTN website- they have an article about it on there aimed specifically at this age group that will explain it really well and give you a starting point)

... in fact, just check out the BTN website in general... it would be a great starting point for any story- they explain things really well and the kids can relate- and then you can go through the teachers section as well for transcripts, and leading questions to encourage further thought etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. He's still deciding.

He did have a few vague ideas from watching BTN at school, so we've had another look at the site now, thanks for the suggestion! He's got a few more vague ideas LOL. He just needs to think the topic through in regards to writing a speech on it.

We'll try again tomorrow.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still here!!!

So this arvo he's had a few ideas but hasn't followed any through as yet. He's quite interested in vaccination but I'm worried it's too hard a concept for his age group. WDYT?
    He's also thought of puppy mills... possibly too distressing for his age group?
    Buying Australian made food/produce, re. struggling Aussie farmers... too boring?
    And child slave labour, re. chocolate to make it a bit more interesting to kids, and to look for fair trade products etc.

Sigh. Help? He has this issue every year, he's a very bright (though evidently, not with the deciding on ideas), very serious boy... so many of his ideas just don't appeal IMO to his peers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The election?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were Prime Minister for a year I would....

If I could add one subject to the school curriculum it would be....

and for your younger bub,

If I could build my own town it would be called....

Good luck. I hate speech time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG he's finally decided and seems quite passionate about his topic- child slave labour, specifically in the chocolate and coffee industry, and in the making of soccer balls!! (Who knew??) And he's also going to talk about what we can do to help, buy fair trade etc.

Now to the writing part. But he's usually ok with that.

Thanks all!