+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *Spin off* Do you teach your children to not talk to strangers?

This whole concept is bizarre to me. I think there are times and places to talk to strangers, but teaching children to NEVER speak to someone they don't know is going to create issues, surely? Especially social problems? Plus I don't think it sends the right message about who is/could be dangerous.

Also, what if they are lost? Or in danger/stuck/injured?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is still young but I encourage him to talk to strangers. He loves to say "hi" and "bye" to everyone at the moment. I think it's polite and most people talk back. There is a big difference between talking to strangers and being trusting of strangers and that's what I hope to teach him.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

HowCrazyCool  (02-08-2013),HugsBunny  (02-08-2013),orlyon  (02-08-2013),steel magnolia  (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 3.5 and breathes through her ears she talks so much...so not talking isn't an option.
    She knows if we lose her when shopping to go and find another mummy with a pram or the checkout person.
    When shopping and not lost (ie weekly) she now walks up to any other person with a pram and declares "if I'm lost I will tell you my name and mummies name and you will find her....look there she is" pointing to me.
    Was cute...to start with! :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not at that stage yet but I will be attempting to teach my kids about instincts and the "feel" they get from people.
    When old enough I'll encourage them to go up to strangers and choose someone they think and feel is friendly and ask them for the time or simple directions.
    I'll always be nearby and watching but the idea of complete stranger danger has major flaws in my opinion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HippyGirl85 For This Useful Post:

fullofhope  (03-08-2013),HugsBunny  (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I would never tell my children not to talk to strangers.

There are far more effective methods to teach about safety, IMO.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, I don't teach that, my boys often say "Hi" to random people,and I think it is lovely actually!

I have however taught them about certain situations, such as when they used to wait for the school bus at the bottom of the driveway, if someone came along in a car and tried to get them into the car, to scream and run back to home yada... (there were suspicious cars sighted around the area at that time doing just that)

I think teaching them about situations that could be dangerous, and what to do in those situations is far more helpful, than instilling a blanket fear of anyone that you don't know.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by schmetterling18 View Post
    No, I would never tell my children not to talk to strangers.

There are far more effective methods to teach about safety, IMO.
    Can you elaborate, I think perhaps I need a few more ideas!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a very painfully shy daughter and one that talks to anyone. Personally, if a stranger says "hello, Aren't you looking cute today" (or something along those lines, its rude if they don't acknowledge the compliment or say hello if someone says something back its rude. My children no safety rules, not to hop into cars or accept gifts from strangers, but to never talk to strangers is too extreme for my parenting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always remember an Oprah episode when the police Sargent gave hints on protecting your kids - he said you must allow them to interact with strangers in everyday life so they get to know what "normal " behaviour is - plus I think it helps build up their confidence

DS knows all our shop keepers by name and says hello/goodbye, he now orders his own food if a waiter comes over and loves taking the bill up to the counter to pay

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Patience Belmont  (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen2010 View Post
    My DD is 3.5 and breathes through her ears she talks so much...so not talking isn't an option.
    She knows if we lose her when shopping to go and find another mummy with a pram or the checkout person.
    When shopping and not lost (ie weekly) she now walks up to any other person with a pram and declares "if I'm lost I will tell you my name and mummies name and you will find her....look there she is" pointing to me.
    Was cute...to start with! :/
    Fantastic idea Karen, and that is very cute!!!