+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Want1more View Post
    I am actually going through the exact same thing as you are! I have an appointment with monash ivf next month they have sent me through some fact sheets etc if you would like a copy pm me and I can send them through to give you an idea!
    It's quiet expensive but I don't really have any other avenues I can take.
    Good luck with your journey!
    Hi. I've tried to PM you but it's saying you don't allow them.
    So could you PM with the info??
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    I have no experience with this sorry, just wanted to wish you well.

I am however a single mum of 2 under 2. There are certainly tough days, especially when you're all sick/tired with no help. BUT it is no where near as hard as I feared it would be when I was left in this predicament. With your DS being school age, it will be so much easier for you too. So don't let those fears hold you back. Watching siblings interact really is priceless

As for your family/friends - it's not their life and they should support you no matter what. In saying that, if you are worried about the negativity from them, why don't you extend the truth a little. Say you fell pregnant to a casual partner you're no longer seeing, or an 'old friend' etc Really they never need to know if you feel it would cause too much friction - or simply tell them once the dust settles down the track.

I know that's not honest, but sometimes the truth can make our stress worse. And in this situation, omitting the real truth won't harm any of your family/friends - it doesn't affect them at all.
    Thanks for commenting.
    I'm pretty confident re having 2 kids, I've worked/work in child care so I know I can cope.

The only people I really worry about them knowing what I'd be doing are my parents. I don't think I could tell a white lie or stretch the truth with them. Especially that my sister would know and I don't want her in a place that she can't tell or say whatever either.
    Other people I don't really care what they'd think or say, but thats because I know 99% of them would be supportive.
    The way I'm thinking at the moment is that I wouldn't be telling them anything until I did fall pregnant. Same goes for everyone else except one or two very close friends.
    I do have to think of the $$ side though of doing it through a clinic, so I'm hoping its something I will be able to afford.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first child using a donor and I'm now pregnant with my second (same donor).

I used a fertility clinic and did IVF. For me IUI just didn't seem to have the success rates so I went straight to IVF. My family is supportive and although it has thrown my mum a bit in the day to day running of things she's there for me 100%.

There will be a 2y3month gap between my kids. Yeah looking after them on my own will be hard but I don't know any different so it doesn't matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went through a clinic as the legalities can be tricky if you don't. Centrelink can be horrible about things like this so best to make sure everything is legal and you own the child 100%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 2 girls my first from a relationship that fizzled and my second via a donor and am currently trying for bubba no 3 with same donor. I started my journey with bill Watkins a Hobart fs but once I had exhausted my savings I went and found a donor elsewhere. I found my donor on the internet on a site called FSDW. He lives quite close to me and has a family of his own and we have become friends. He has no contact with our daughter outside of the photos and videos I send him via email although we have run into on another a couple of times so he has seen her As for expenses initially we met at generic hotel rooms which I paid for when trying to conceive DD2 but now i'm happy for him to come to my house. He has never accepted any reimbursement for costs eg doctors blood tests etc but I have offered. As for Centrelink work out your story and stick to it, the social worker told me if there is no fathers name on the birth certificate then there isn't a lot they can do and you can choose to provide them with as much or as little information as possible. I had to do a stat dec for births deaths and marriages stating my personal situation and I told them the same thing I told centrelink. Feel free to message me if you would like to talk...... PS. having two kids as a sole parent is HARD WORK but the rewrds certainly out weigh the negatives
    Last edited by nelle7250; 04-08-2013 at 13:42.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a known donor to conceive my second child. She was conceived at home. It's perfectly legal in Victoria. There was no issue with her birth certificate or having her donor put on the donor register. We had a contract before ttc. Centrelink were fine with it too.

There is a very helpful organisation in Australia for single mothers by choice and I've found them incredibly helpful and supportive.