+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Single parent and wanting another child

Hi all.
    Ok so I've been thinking and I would love to have another baby and give my DS a sibling. I've been looking at ways i can do that and more considering the sperm donor route. I am 32yrs old now so if I'm going to do it, I want to do it before the end of next year. I have looked into foster care, but I really feel I should be going down having my own child route. I'd like to give it a try than not at all.
    So I'm curious to find out if there are other single parents who have became parents again through sperm donation and I hope you can answer my questions, which are:
    What did you do/where do you start??
    Did you go through your GP, through a fertility clinic or DIY at home??
    Was it an IUI or IVF type procedure??
    What were the costs??
    What did your family ie parents think?? How did you cope/deal with any of them not being supportive??
    Anything else I need to consider??

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No idea, sorry. I just want to say good luck and I hope you get your wish

Big boy '08
    Little girl '11
    Fetus-face due Feb '14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will PM you a link to a video. They explain some things and also name a site you can use. Not sure if I can mention the site so I'll just PM you.
    My SIL's are going down this avenue too.

Totally in love with our two beautiful little girls.
    Feb 2011 and May 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe there's plenty of options these days - hopefully the advice given above helps you decide.

Good luck, how exciting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My sis has done 3 failed attempts at IUI and is back on the waiting list for IVF.

I was/am considering having a 2nd child at some stage. Part of me is saying no/not now- you could travel! With DS! Live overseas for a period of time! Send DS to private schooling! Than the other part says do it now- DS would LOVE a sibling- he's asked for one numerous times, you'll never regret a child etc etc

So conflicted. Were you in conflict PB? What made you decide def yes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by giveitago View Post
    I will PM you a link to a video. They explain some things and also name a site you can use. Not sure if I can mention the site so I'll just PM you.
    My SIL's are going down this avenue too.

Totally in love with our two beautiful little girls.
    Feb 2011 and May 2013
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    My sis has done 3 failed attempts at IUI and is back on the waiting list for IVF.

I was/am considering having a 2nd child at some stage. Part of me is saying no/not now- you could travel! With DS! Live overseas for a period of time! Send DS to private schooling! Than the other part says do it now- DS would LOVE a sibling- he's asked for one numerous times, you'll never regret a child etc etc

So conflicted. Were you in conflict PB? What made you decide def yes?
    Oh that would be frustrating. I hope your sister gets a BFP next attempt.

I have always wanted at least 2 kids. I tried to find a partner to see if it would lead to having another child but things didn't work out. Plus that was all I really wanted a partner for, so not really a good way to go about a relationship. Also, I realised I prefer being a single parent. Being I've been a single parent of DS since really he was born, and I'm very independant. I'm just not sure I could deal parenting with someone else now. I dislike my ex-DH trying to parent, when he makes time. It just really annoys me.

I still have concerns about going down the single mum track with two children but I think the time would be good now to look at getting things organized with my DS going to school next year. I know he would love a baby brother or sister. He would be a great helper.
    My main concern is that I do worry what my parents would do/say. I sort of approached the subject last year and they weren't that impressed, especially my mother. So that put me off it for a while. But of course they don't live my life, I do. But I do hope that once they know what's happened they will come around to the idea.
    Lately I've also been reassessing what I want to do in life and I just feel now would be the right time to start, to at least research all my options. I'm not getting any younger and either is DS. I don't want a huge age gap between him and his sibling.
    So even though I have some concerns and questions that need answering, I do know this is something I definitely want to do. I don't want to regret it later in life as I know this would be something I'd regret if I didn't try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am actually going through the exact same thing as you are! I have an appointment with monash ivf next month they have sent me through some fact sheets etc if you would like a copy pm me and I can send them through to give you an idea!
    It's quiet expensive but I don't really have any other avenues I can take.
    Good luck with your journey!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Want1more For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no experience with this sorry, just wanted to wish you well.

I am however a single mum of 2 under 2. There are certainly tough days, especially when you're all sick/tired with no help. BUT it is no where near as hard as I feared it would be when I was left in this predicament. With your DS being school age, it will be so much easier for you too. So don't let those fears hold you back. Watching siblings interact really is priceless

As for your family/friends - it's not their life and they should support you no matter what. In saying that, if you are worried about the negativity from them, why don't you extend the truth a little. Say you fell pregnant to a casual partner you're no longer seeing, or an 'old friend' etc Really they never need to know if you feel it would cause too much friction - or simply tell them once the dust settles down the track.

I know that's not honest, but sometimes the truth can make our stress worse. And in this situation, omitting the real truth won't harm any of your family/friends - it doesn't affect them at all.