+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How can I get him to go to bed earlier?

DS is 7 weeks old. He has, in the last week or so, started having a long sleep at night. He sleeps for a 5 hour stretch most nights, then after a feed, he has another 3-4 hours.

Problem is, he won't have his long sleep until 1am, give or take half an hour. I would love for him to go to bed earlier so DF and I can get some alone time before we go to bed but at the moment DF is going to sleep hours before DS and I do because DS just won't sleep any earlier.

During the day, he will only have short naps but he has them quite frequently. Early in the day, his awake times are usually pretty good, he will be pretty happy until he decides its sleep time again, then he is only cranky until I settle him for a nap. But at some point in the afternoon, something snaps, he is cranky and clingy and won't nap unless he is being held, until he eventually goes to sleep.

Any suggestions? I'd love some alone time with my DF!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are so Lucky that you are already getting a 5h stretch! I wouldn't do anything in case it disrupts this long stretch. 7 weeks old is too little. It's better a 5h stretch at 1am than from 7pm to midnight in my opinion Soon he will have a better routine and you will have more alone time with DH. I think that in those first months having proper sleep is top priority. But maybe I think this way because I didn't have the 5h stretch that early and all I wanted was to have proper sleep!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yes, agree with pp. many babies are up every 2 hours. so you're quite lucky to get 5 hours.. then more after that.. 7 weeks is a bit young to get into a routine. it will come with time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it possible that he's way over-tired and is actually just finally crashing at 1am? It could be cumulative overtiredness that builds up throughout the day. Have you tried putting him down for day sleeps before he gets cranky? And maybe he needs an extra nap in the late afternoon. If I were you, I'd decide on an approximate bedtime and create a routine that you follow each night (eg book, boob/bottle, song, bed). Do it at about the same time each evening. It may take hours to get him to sleep at first but he'll eventually get the idea I think.
    I'm sure other ppl will have some great suggestions (I'm new at this too so I'm not sure if it's good advice, but my 15week DD used to go down at 11pm until 4 weeks ago and is now asleep by 7-730).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree he sounds overtired. My dd was the same until we put her on a routine. Before that she would hardly nap and was cranky and irritable and difficult to settle to sleep at night.

Once I got her into a routine she was a different baby. 4 hrs napping minimum a day and on a good night 12 hours straight at night or wakes once fit a feed. She's 12 weeks been doing this since around 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was exactly like my DD at that age. Yes, she was overtired, but she just would NOT sleep longer during the day. At 8 weeks she started sleeping 8 hours 11-7am with arsensic hour still lasting about 1pm-11pm. However by 12 weeks she'd slowly brought her own bedtime early and was doing 6pm-6am with only 1-2 hours of crankiness beforehand. Still always napping 3 x 15-20mins only.

Hang in there, it sounds like your bub is finding their own routine and hopefully they will pull their own bedtime forward over the next few weeks.

6-7 weeks I've found the hardest so far with both bubs (DS is 8 weeks today and sleep is on the improve at last!) - it feels like forever, but I remind myself that it is just a couple of months out of their entire lifetime!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd sleeps 9:30-5 am sometimes 4 am I've found more tummy time helped this (well back time on play mat) trying to talk to her more.

I now wrap her after a bottle and let her self settle before she would be hysterical I try not to let her sleep in swing etc. before she would sleep in swing and then wake 2-3 times a night.

I know each baby is different. Also could he be cold? Waking at that time x

Idammed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Count your blessings my 8 month old still wakes 4-5 times a night- every 90 min to 2 hours. They take a whole to get into a routine