+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Broken both bones in my leg :(

Yesterday I took an otherwise fairly normal trip down two steps...the kind of thing I've done before without any harm. I'm not sure how I managed it but I have a pretty messy break in both bones in my leg.

We are going to stay with my MIL when I am all plated up on Saturday but I am still feeling nervous about how on earth I will manage with my gorgeous ds. I don't want to completely give over the role of mothering my son to my MIL but I can't even go to the toilet by myself and it is likely to take 8 weeks for me to be walking unaided...

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Albert01; 01-08-2013 at 18:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't buy just wanted to stay I hope you heal quickly and feel better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you say both bones do you mean shin and thigh or both bones in the lower leg? If it's only lower leg I'd imagine they'll have you up and about reasonably quickly. But it will still hurt and you'll be on heaps of drugs.
    Parenting for a while might have to be observation/doing things together on the couch. Will depend on how much independent play your DS is used to. Hope the op goes well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing! If its your lower leg which from the mechanism it sounds like it, the definitely ask about a brace over your plaster so that you should be able to walk short distances soon.

Otherwise, how old is DS? If he's little can you hang out in bed and mil do food etc? That would drive me mad!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ouch I hope you heal quickly. My mum did that one leg and a hair line on her other leg 3 months ago. She in her 60 and is very overweight and they still had her up on a hopper on day 2 after the op. She ended up using a wheelchair most of the time and was able to get around doing most things after a week or two. I still made all her meals and did most of her cleaning.

As mothering you will find a way. As mums we just do. Lots of hugs and reading books together. Get your mil to set you up with a change station with in reach for nappy changes and changing clothes etc. I have used a plastic shelve rack thing on wheels before and I could see that working for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow, that's no good. I haven't done anything that bad but when my oldest was 11 months I broke a couple of bones in my foot playing netball. I lived with my mum at that time so that made things easier. I was on crutches for a while and it was difficult with a LO crawling around. Good luck with the surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    that sucks! Hope you're on the mend quickly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is your son? I didn't break bones but I was pretty unwell and hospitalized on and of for the first 5 months of my DS2s life. I had to give up control and let my mother and husband look after me and my boys. It was hard but I had to do it. its tough watching someone else but now I see it as a great bonding time for my mum and kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone...my Ds is 12 months.

He has ants in his pants so there won't be too much lying around in bed for him.

You're right though Anewme...we will manage somehow, we always do...

Heymegz, liking your idea about giving in to the lack of control and just observing and participating where I can.

Shani, I am getting one of those brace thingies too...I wonder if it comes in my colour?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    DF broke both bones in his leg when DS1 was 6 months old. He was walking in a week with crutches.

Also his mum broke her leg when the kids were young and she put the baby in a washing basket on one of those washing trolleys to get around the house because she couldn't carry her and walk.

Hopefully your recovery is quick and your DS behaves for you.

Sent from my telecommunications device.