+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My Dad got a letter last year about kids coming around. I thought it was a fantastic idea.

They put it out the week before and asked people to put the sign on their door or letterbox if they didn't want to participate.

My sister ended up taking DS1 around the area and he had so much fun. He didn't even mind that we swapped his lollies out for other things.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-08-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverclucky View Post
    i dont like halloween, we teach our kids not to talk to strangers etc but yet we allow them to go and knock on strangers doors and ask for lollies..........
    Well what better reason to go and meet your neighbours so they're no longer strangers?
    I don't get that argument. Kids talk to strangers when they're with their parents all the time- at the shops, on the bus, at the park, tradies who come to your house.
    I think its a great idea, OP

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-08-2013),FrothyFrog  (02-08-2013),HugsBunny  (02-08-2013),JungleMum  (02-08-2013),MissMuppet  (02-08-2013),Witwicky  (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would do balloons or something rather than the light. People might want their light on for other reasons whereas a balloon on the letterbox would be clear. Sounds like fun!!

I have never celebrated Halloween because it is my birthday As long as there is cake, I'll be happy!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (02-08-2013),HugsBunny  (02-08-2013),steel magnolia  (02-08-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    In our street there is a lady who organises halloween.

She puts a note in everyone's letterbox re times etc and gives everyone pumpkin picture to put on their letterboxes if they want to participate. Means the kids know to only knock on the doors of houses displaying a pumpkin on the letterbox.
    Maybe you're in my old street!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its not our thing in our house but I dont mind getting knocks on the door from kids dressed up 😊They always have an adult with them.

What I object to is the troublemakers and idiots that ruin it for everyone. Makes people hate the holiday that some people celebrate.

We do get letters in the mail from neighbours asking to leave a light on outside if we want to participate or not. Our street is full of retirees so not many participate but the kids that do still have fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love Halloween. It's a great chance to have some fun and our neighbourhood really gets into it. I love, love, love looking out the window and seeing groups of costumed people wandering around and giggling. The etiquette here is front light on means you want to be part of the fun. So I think a letterbox drop is a great idea and it'll hopefully get a tradition started in your street.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have never dressed up for Halloween, but last year my ss (14) and his friends all got dressed up and went trick or treating, the got some great lollies (that me and the girls raided lol). One of his friends mums put letters in the gated community mail box the week before saying if they wanted to participate to leave the pumpkin on the letterbox. I forgot to buy lollies last year and ended up giving out boxes of sultanas and nuts lol

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the letterbox/light thing is a really great idea actually.

I'm a bit of a Grinch about Halloween, as it's a seasonal thing (as evidenced by the pumpkin motif) and is actually supposed to be celebrated on 29th April in the Southern Hemisphere, as the end of harvest, and the beginning of the descent into the darkness (winter) remembering the dead, all souls eve etc.

Anyways..... Good for a laugh for the kids, and I've been known to get out there with the kids
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 02-08-2013 at 14:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, letterbox drop is a great idea to forewarn people, and ask them to put a Halloween item or balloon or something on their gate or letterbox if they are opting in for a knock on the door. No Halloween item or balloon, no knock, I reckon. It's huge in my suburb. All the kids from primary school come in big groups and with parents following on behind. All the parents dress up and so on. It is a fun, community activity, just like the Australia Day cricket match on the street.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a wonderful celebration. Go for it

(Oh and I completely agree with FL about the talking to strangers thing! In fact, I don't 'teach' my kids to not talk to strangers).