+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just a few questions about pinhole phimosis

Hey everyone,

My son is 6 and was having pain when he would urinate, I took him to the Drs and was told he had an infection and just gave me some cream to put on for 3 days. I did that and everything was fine, then about a month later he went to the toilet and afterwards he had a bit of blood so i took him back to the Dr and this time was told he probably had a urine infection. I was given anti-biotics to give him until we waited for the results, the results came back that there was no infection. The dr examined his penis and said that he had pinhole phimosis and would need a circumcision. This all happened so fast he was writing a letter to the hospital to schedule him in for the operation.

I had noticed that he couldn't retract his foreskin but i wasn't overly concerned because i had read that it can take until the teens for it to become free. The Dr mentioned something about using a cream to try and stretch it out but his foreskin was way too tight and there is only a tiny slit that it wouldn't work.

I'm wondering should i get a 2nd opinion? Has anyone had a similar situation and not had to be given a circumcision? I really don't want to put him through it if there is even the slightest chance he doesn't need it.

Thanks a lot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadekurt View Post
    Hey everyone,

My son is 6 and was having pain when he would urinate, I took him to the Drs and was told he had an infection and just gave me some cream to put on for 3 days. I did that and everything was fine, then about a month later he went to the toilet and afterwards he had a bit of blood so i took him back to the Dr and this time was told he probably had a urine infection. I was given anti-biotics to give him until we waited for the results, the results came back that there was no infection. The dr examined his penis and said that he had pinhole phimosis and would need a circumcision. This all happened so fast he was writing a letter to the hospital to schedule him in for the operation.

I had noticed that he couldn't retract his foreskin but i wasn't overly concerned because i had read that it can take until the teens for it to become free. The Dr mentioned something about using a cream to try and stretch it out but his foreskin was way too tight and there is only a tiny slit that it wouldn't work.

I'm wondering should i get a 2nd opinion? Has anyone had a similar situation and not had to be given a circumcision? I really don't want to put him through it if there is even the slightest chance he doesn't need it.

Thanks a lot
    Definitely get a second opinion, and ask for a referral to a paediatric urologist. GPs tend to be fairly ignorant about these matters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I should perhaps add that there are good reasons to be skeptical about diagnoses of phimosis made by GPs. You may be interested in this research article from the Medical Journal of Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you John I will be getting a second opinion then. Im feeling very scared for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the article. I found it very interesting since I am from rural WA. Hopefully then i can find a Dr that has some other ideas other then just circumcision.