+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there! My daughter had a GA for tonsils/adenoids when she was nearly 2. My experience was very similar to others pre- & post op. however my lo became very dehydrated once home & was readmitted about 4 days later. She then picked up a virus whilst in & had to stay for about 1 week. She looked awful.

She also loved her bottle but her throat must have been very painful, even to drink. We also struggled to keep on top of her pain. Once rehydrated & pain better managed she bounced back really well.

Her sleep has improved dramatically. From waking every 2-3 hrs to waking just once a night, & on many nights sleeping though.... This is becoming more frequent.
    Finally!!! Her speech has improved also.... But this may not be due to surgery. She is also able to eat more solids.

Really big procedure so young, & seeing them so limp & lifeless in the operating theatres was very distressing. She looked dead. although we had a really rough few weeks, it was worth it, particularly for sleep. I wished we had done it earlier. Good luck! Hope it all goes smoothly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shirleysmum For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I'll have to keep on top of his fluids as he can be a bit inconsistent with water intake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    3 of my 4 daughters have had their adenoids removed and my 17month old is getting more grommets next week. They bounce back so well but be prepared for them waking up out of GA. 1 of my girls just charges around like nothing happened but the other 2 wake in hysterics. They aren't in pain it's more the side effects of the GA so lots of extra cuddles, food then you can head home.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's such a resilient little guy I am sure his father, nana and I will be messes and he'll be just fine....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice.

My brave little guy had his op this morning.

Holding him while he went under was tough on me but he took it all in his stride!

In recovery he just kept waking up for a moment and then back to sleep in mine and DH's arms.

His oxygen levels were a little low so needed a mask while sleeping to help.

After about 2 hours he woke up properly and started playing with some new toys we'd brought in for him, great diversion, thanks for that suggestion! 👍

Fell asleep on way home again, transferred to his cot, he slept till 4:30pm!

Back to his happy busy self once up at home.

Surgeon says the ears were very infected and the adenoids were extremely 'impressive' so I'm glad we went through with it as he should feel so much better for it!

Thanks again to all who helped ease my anxiety leading up to this morning!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

mim1  (06-08-2013)