+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default General Anaesthetic/Adenoidectomy/Grommets - 21 months 😖

DS (21months) is booked in for surgery on Monday.

I am feeling really anxious about putting him under general....

Any advice from those who have been there?

He is having his Adenoids removed and grommets inserted....I'd love to here from anyone whose LO has gone through this or similar....

He's still just a baby 😢😖😢

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 had grommets put in at 8 months and then another set of grommets put in and adenoids removed at 20 months. It was absolutely fine. The op is so quick - they were calling me in to see her and help her wake up from the anaesthetic after about 15 mins (enough time for a quick cup of tea!). The second op it took her awhile to fully come out of the anaesthetic but after about an hour or two you seriously wouldn't have known she'd been in hospital. We went and visited my parents and she was running around the backyard! The only annoying thing is the ear drops for afterwards. It made such a big difference to her. Now we have to have MORE grommets and tonsils out in the next few months - I'm nervous about that.

If you have any questions, let me know. Hope it all goes well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (31-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for sharing! That really puts my mind at ease to hear of a similar age and that she bounced back the same day.

How was her sleep after the op? Any issues with blocked up nose from blood etc or gunk running down back of throat?

Oh and what was the difference like in her hearing, speech, breathing, snoring, sleeping after op and recovery?

We will be reassessed for tonsils when he's 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't have any problems with blood or gunk running down her throat - to be honest nothing to make the second recovery different from the first although she had her adenoids out the second time. I don't think we even gave her panadol but I can't remember.

She passed a hearing test done a couple of weeks later so her hearing was back to normal but the most significant thing was the improvement in sleep. She suffered from a post nasal drip thing which meant every time she lay down she'd just cough cough cough and hadn't slept properly in months. That was gone! She gets tonsillitis quite regularly (has massive tonsils apparently) hence getting the tonsils out soon.

Not sure if its the same in all hospitals but I was allowed to take her in to the operating room - they wrapped her tightly in a blanket so she couldn't move her arms and put a mask on her and gave her gas to go to sleep. That only takes about 10-20 seconds but its nice to be there to stroke their head and reassure them (then you can go outside and cry!). It's good to have something to comfort him afterwards - breastfeed, bottle, dummy, favourite toy etc. They can be pretty confused when they first wake up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (01-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had general at 11 months for grommets. I didn't want to take her in so left her with DH (I pulled the "I went through labour" card). The procedure took 9 minutes and we were out at a cafe having breakfast within 45 mins!
    The hardest part was keeping her happy until the op as she wasn't allowed food/drink from midnight.

She had some small spots of blood on her sheets after a sleep later that day but that was all. Didn't need to give any pain relief.
    I'm sure it's worse for the parents! X

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'll post later today

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, this is all so reassuring!

I want to be in with him as I can't stand not knowing what's going on...

Will take his Lamby in to cuddle before and after. (Unfortunately he self weaned at 16 months so no longer have bf as an option 😥)

If they are allowed liquids etc straight away I will take his bottle in too. He is a dairy addict 😉

Great to hear such positive results after this procedure.

Things we are hoping for:
    -Fluid behind ears to drain so he can hear properly which will hopefully help his speech
    -better breathing ability which will hopefully help him sleep better
    - an end to the constant blocked nose and coughing

I expect the constant dribbling and aversion to swallowing chunky food like meat pieces will remain due to the large tonsils.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were also allowed to go into theatre with DS until he was asleep. Then when they woke him up they got me to jump up in the bed with him as they are so disorientated and so they don't pull the canula out. Lots of icy poles/ice cream and getting him used to the mask before he went in. Surgery went fine - he had the works done - adenoids, grommets and tonsilectomy. He has now recovered from a 50% hearing loss, speech has improved and definitely isn't as loud when he sleeps! Also doesn't have the ear infections that he used to. Just need to cover up his ears when he swims in chlorine. He didn't like swallowing at first - probably due to the tonsilectomy, and had a little vomit during the night, but I was right next to him in the hospital and had a chuck bag at the ready.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds had grommets at 15 months under a general. He had reflux so they had to give him a general - usually they don't for just grommets. I didn't find fasting him overnight an issue actually (thankfully) and he was first on the list at around 8am which helped. I went with him into theatre and they put a mask on his face and he went to sleep then I went out. I was back with him in recovery in under 30 minutes - I took his bottle of formula with me (I'd stopped BFing at 12 months) and he gobbled that down and settled easily. He was fine on the ward - Mum gave us a toy phone and a little car or something (can't recall the 2nd toy now) to give him after the op and it was great to distract him as they wanted to keep his drip in his arm for about 1/2 hour after we got back and he wanted to pull at the bandages instead. He was up & walking pretty quickly and we were home in the early afternoon. He had a big sleep and he was fine when he woke up.

Speech wise he had 2 new words in the first 24 hours (he was 12 words at 12 months, but only 6 at 14 months and wasn't babbling). AND he started babbling! Best sound ever! His sleep didn't magically improve so we did controlled crying a week later when he was given the medical all clear from the Paed and within 3 nights he was sleeping through perfectly! (wish my dd slept so well!)

Grommets was seriously the best thing we ever did!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    A new toy as a distraction is a great idea! Will have to make a secret purchase and pull it out when he's in recovery.