+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default KEMH birthing centre experiences

We have just found out a couple of days ago that we are expecting #3 in April. I've had two low risk pregnancies and births and would love to go to a birthing centre this time around. Can anyone give me their experience with KEMH birthing centre?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my DS at kemh birthing centre in feb and I can't recommend them highly enough. They were fantastic. I had good care throughout my pregnancy and met a few midwives in the "yellow group". (I think they were changing to being case loads so you potentially only have 1 midwife the whole way). I always felt listened to and encouraged to do my research and decide what I wanted. They got me to see the gp there as I have always had a high pulse rate but she was lovely and cleared me to continue there.

When I went in when in labour I was the only one there at 7pm on a Friday night so we were told we could do what we wanted around the centre. Our midwife was very hands of but would come in every hour to listen to bub and check in and was never far if we needed her. They have great ensuites in each room with a big shower with both wall rose and hand held hose which was awesome and the have a communal bathroom with a brand new bath in it that is huge and amazing (I spent 5 or so hours in it ) I had a long labour - 36 hours of regular contractions, 26 hours of water breaking and 17 hours of active labour, and I never felt rushed or pressured. I was asked to go in when my contractions were 2 mins apart but was still there for 13 hours before having DS. My midwife was fabulous when my labour stalled at 9cm and got me in all sorts of positions to help things along and got me through that last little bit - I truly believe without her experience we would have been transferred and required hormones etc to help things.

We stayed 24 hours but only as it was first baby and we were given the option of discharge after 6 hours but encouraged to stay the 24. I'm glad we stayed for the advice with bf etc but would only stay the 6 next time, but at least DH was able to stay the entire time - he never left my side. Then we had vms service by the birth centre midwives (the same one who delivered DS ) for 3 days as we were in there catchment.

Then I randomly got a phone call a few weeks ago when DS was 5 months or so just to check in and see how we were, asked about my DH and my DS and just about life. Said thanks for the card a goodies I sent and hoped to see us again

Sorry for the essay but as you can see I loved my birth and my experience there, we are moving out to bullsbrook but I have already told DH that we will be going back there next time. Only advice is book early - I know lots of people who have waited till they were further along and missed out as they were full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (31-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your reply 😊 it sounds like all the things I want from this birth. Do you have all your antenatal appointments there at the birthing centre?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes all of your appointments from 16 weeks. You can do shared care if you really want but they prefer you not to so you have a chance to meet the midwives. You do have to arrange your anatomy scan yourself with a ref from your gp but they will do everything else.

The only annoying thing is the parking for appts but they seem happy if you bring other children/friend/DH/students and you get used to where you can usually find a park!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just rang them to make an appointment to have the tour done she said as I live in the country ill be able to have my scans over at the hospital which is good. She wasn't exactly a very nice lady but I won't let that change my mind.

Ah yes dreaded hospital and antenatal clinic parking is always fun 😏

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's handy

Yeah some of there ward clerks are a little blunt but everyone else I spoke and dealt with were lovely