+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Traveling with babies (Australia to USA)

Hi All, would really appreciate some tips and advice on traveling to USA with babies.

In a couple of months we will be traveling to USA with our 3 sons (who will then be aged 23 months and 9 month old twins). We will be visiting family for the bulk of the trip and they will have car seats but we will be stopping in LA before reaching them so I am wondering if anyone knows if we will need car seats for getting from airport to hotel (can't imagine a car seat would even fit in a bus for the five minute ride to the hotel? The thought of packing is also doing my head in I just can't work out what I will need to take on the plane. We just this weekend went to visit my grandparents who only live 2 hours away and we still filled the car. The idea of packing is making me feel stressed.

We will be traveling with my mum and aunty and we have booked a seat for the oldest boy. He doesn't like being restrained for to long so I am worried he's going to scream the plane down because he will have to sit in the seat with a belt on during take off and landing.

We have iPads and iPods and iPhones that we will fill with movies and TV shows he likes to keep him entertained (hopefully). I thought about getting him a few new smallish toys that he could open every few hours. I have a couple of colouring books and the twister crayons (not that he really colours yet) I have.

How many nappies should I take? Should I take blankets? Pillows? Changes of clothes? How much food should I take?

I get air sick and I usually take some pills that make me sleep for pretty much the whole flight. The worst time is when the food comes out the smell of it makes me sick.

The travel agent we are going through has advised me that she has booked us the seats with the bassinets but I didn't think that could happen until we check in.

Argh sorry so much going through my head I am so confused and feeling unprepared and stressed and nervous. Also stressed about seeing my MIL because we don't really get along.

Anyway any advice would be wonderful :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ill be watching this thread because I'm going to England with an 8 month old soon I'm taking probably 10 nappies, dressing her in a short onesie, tights and long sleeved top (so I can layer) and also taking a jumper and a couple more sets of clothes. I'm going to buy some books she hasn't looked at yet, and have bought some finger puppets to play with. I've also got some quiet toys I will be taking- a quiet rattle (just has a little quiet bell in it), a couple Lamaze dolls, and a light up squishy ball she likes to look at. I'm also going to take some blue painters tape to stick on everything for entertainment she likes watching cartoons so I hope she will watch them for a bit. I've also bought a harness that I will clip on to her if she is allowed to crawl on the floor so I don't have to keep picking her up if she crawls too far. (I know people's opinion on this but I will be supervising her at all times). I am also going to be packing a small pack that had a nappy, wipes, cream and sanitiser in. I've also been told to sanitise everything around you that bub may touch when you get on the plane

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry about not spacing my paragraphs out! I've also bought a second hand stroller to take and will be taking my carrier on board so I can put bub in the carrier when we exit the plane and have both hands free

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Rach. Are you take a car seat? I don't want to take one from here it's just for a short trip from airport to hotel in LA. Then I guess if we venture out.

How will you be sleeping bubs while away? Because we are staying with family I will probably be able to get them get borrow porta cots for the twins and the eldest will just sleep in a mattress on the floor it's just so much stuff to take its stressing me out. I am feeling a but overwhelmed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi bigZ,
    We have done a heap of travelling with DS (including a trip home to Aus) and live in the states. I would call the bus tranfer and ask about the car seat although if it is a mini bus or larger you won't need car seats.
    I ran out of nappies on our flight home to Aus (oh the shame of asking another parent for some was horrendous), DS went through 11 on a 14 hr flight. I think I was just changing him heaps because I was using a new type of nappy and they constantly felt wet... When they weren't. Then he had two poop explosions
    I think packing some small new and fun toys for take off and landing for your 23 month old is a good idea for take off and landing and try to use iPad/sleep for the rest of the flight. Depending on which airline it is you may be able to take an approved carseat on board, if bub likes the carseat, this is a saviour!
    Depending on how big the twins are they may not fit in the bassinet at 9 months. DS barely fit in the Virgin Atlantic ones at 5 months but he is a big boy (wearing size 0) that was the bassinet that they are strapped into with a 5point harness and can stay in when the seat belt sign is on (the deem the baby too big if their feet hang off the end), on the way to Aus we flew with Virgin Australia and had a flat bassinet, we had a very turbulent flight and every time the seatbelt sign came on had to take him out of the bassinet and put him in to the lap harness and a flight attendant would come charging up with a torch to check they were sucured. DH ended up just leaving him in the lap harness to sleep which was great for them but I was awake with 5 other babies tag teaming crying, constantly having let downs - not fun.
    I dress him in comfy pants and a t shirt for travel or a long sleeve if it is cold and then take some full onesies as a back up.
    We take one of our own thin blankets and then used their airlines, they have plenty of blankets and pillows although the quality can be a bit ho hum depending on who you are travelling with.
    Not sure about food - DS is BLW so for the last trip we took (London to Athens only a short flight) we just took some cucumber sticks, rockmelon and bread crust.
    All the usual stuff - feed on take off and landing/dummy.
    You can get any baby items there so try not to stress too much... I know that is easier said than done.
    Have a great trip! Oh and stock up on baby clothes in the US!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sleeping her in a portacot. No im not taking a car seat but my cousin has one we can use from the airport. I am also buying a brica fold n go seat to take so we won't need a high chair. Yes I'm a bit worried about the unknown too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For food I'm taking some of the rafferty pouches with the screw on spoon ends on them for the plane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by michellead View Post
    Hi bigZ,
    We have done a heap of travelling with DS (including a trip home to Aus) and live in the states. I would call the bus tranfer and ask about the car seat although if it is a mini bus or larger you won't need car seats.
    I ran out of nappies on our flight home to Aus (oh the shame of asking another parent for some was horrendous), DS went through 11 on a 14 hr flight. I think I was just changing him heaps because I was using a new type of nappy and they constantly felt wet... When they weren't. Then he had two poop explosions
    I think packing some small new and fun toys for take off and landing for your 23 month old is a good idea for take off and landing and try to use iPad/sleep for the rest of the flight. Depending on which airline it is you may be able to take an approved carseat on board, if bub likes the carseat, this is a saviour!
    Depending on how big the twins are they may not fit in the bassinet at 9 months. DS barely fit in the Virgin Atlantic ones at 5 months but he is a big boy (wearing size 0) that was the bassinet that they are strapped into with a 5point harness and can stay in when the seat belt sign is on (the deem the baby too big if their feet hang off the end), on the way to Aus we flew with Virgin Australia and had a flat bassinet, we had a very turbulent flight and every time the seatbelt sign came on had to take him out of the bassinet and put him in to the lap harness and a flight attendant would come charging up with a torch to check they were sucured. DH ended up just leaving him in the lap harness to sleep which was great for them but I was awake with 5 other babies tag teaming crying, constantly having let downs - not fun.
    I dress him in comfy pants and a t shirt for travel or a long sleeve if it is cold and then take some full onesies as a back up.
    We take one of our own thin blankets and then used their airlines, they have plenty of blankets and pillows although the quality can be a bit ho hum depending on who you are travelling with.
    Not sure about food - DS is BLW so for the last trip we took (London to Athens only a short flight) we just took some cucumber sticks, rockmelon and bread crust.
    All the usual stuff - feed on take off and landing/dummy.
    You can get any baby items there so try not to stress too much... I know that is easier said than done.
    Have a great trip! Oh and stock up on baby clothes in the US!
    Thanks Michelle, some great advice, we are flying with Virgin/delta. One twin is long and solid. He's almost 7 months and already in size 1 and weighs 10kg. I doubt he's going to fit in the bassinet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi--I haven't read all the replies and can't answer all your questions since I haven't had to travel home with children yet. But, last year we got married in San Francisco and had a few people from here and throughout the states travel there with their toddlers. I know in San Francisco you do not need to have a carseat in a taxi, you can sit with the child on your lap and seatbelt across both of you. I'm not sure if LA's rules would be different since LA has a much higher driver population than San Fran (ie, in San Fran they probably assume you wouldn't regularly do this and would use public transport if you don't have a car whereas in LA people drive more often than use public transport).

Car rentals and gas/petrol are much cheaper in the US than over here so it can be a pretty affordable option and I'm fairly certain you can rent car seats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I called the hotel we won't need a car seat for the shuttle and the guy I spoke to said he had seen taxis with car seats so if we want to do any sight seeing then we'll just catch a bus and then they will be in strollers.

I'm thinking of taking onsies (I like the bonds button ones they are light but warm and stretchy so easy to put on and take off) but I'm wondering now should I take top and bottoms so I can take either the top or bottom or both off if they get hot??