+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Feeling anxious about organizational changes

Hi ladies, I am a long term BH member but wanted to create an under cover account given that I am talking about changes in my workplace.

I currently work in a govt role and have been for a number of years. I found out a few weeks ago that my position is being relocated (we live in between two big cities - currently based in city B and my job will be soon based in city A). The travel time to city A is ridiculous. I much prefer traveling to city B and I am closer to home and my child's daycare.

The thing is I am in the 3rd tri of my pregnancy so I am not in a position to look for a new job now. I just don't know what I will do after mat leave - I will have two kids, one in school and I feel like I need to be closer to home.

The type of work I do is marketing and communications. What kind of job could I find locally that I could utilise these skills?

Is there any courses I could do to extend my skills, train in something different but still leverage off the degree I have (Bachelor of Business)?

I feel so lost and confused. My job will still be there (hopefully) when I return from maternity leave, but I feel like I need some sort of plan or have options. I feel so stressed about this.

If you have any ideas or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

I feel like even though I will still have a job to return to, as a mum I won't be able to do that job anymore and need to think of my family and what other options I have locally. It's such a kick in the guts because I was quite happy working out of office/city B and am paid quite highly to do my role.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    will they offer redundancy? Such a big move should mean that your given some options of what to do...they cannot just expect people to double/triple their commutes can they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know they are looking at putting a voluntary separation scheme in place which means I can get some sort of payout and they can still replace the role. They can't offer straight out redundancy because the role is still needed.

From what I understand the voluntary thing will be at the CEOs discretion and may not apply to me. So it may not even be an option.

I am not sure of the specific details with the voluntary separation yet but I am scared to go down that path too early. What if I can't find a job at all after my mat leave? At this stage I still have a job after my leave...

Also I am going to get paid mat leave and annual leave which I will be taking at half pay to extend it so if they offer some sort of voluntary separation then I don't imagine it would be wise to take it before my paid mat leave is paid out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will ALWAYS find a job in marketing and communications, even part time. My hubby just went through relocation with the government and unfortunately they didn't offer many options. Pretty much if u don't like it - leave. At the moment he's looking for another role while travelling 1.5hrs each way to work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it comes with paid maternity leave I would stay and get the leave and then you can just not return later. You will get your employer maternity leave, annual leave and paid parental leave. Depends where you live but I would think if you have a Bach of Business and experience in communications you should be able to get something else later. Your other alternative is to move.