+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe you can wait until you get there and decide then?

If bubs will be asleep by 7...could dinner be booked for 8 and then you put bubs to bed and then have someone sit with him? Maybe you could hire the same person to do something with you during the day so you can see how they interact first hand and then decide?

It is a tough one...it would depend on so many things for me...how far away the restaurant would be, if i had met the nanny, the sort of place I was staying and how secure I felt there, how long i would be gone, if bubs was a good sleeper (or was sleeping well since arriving on holidays).

At the end of the day, you are the mumma and it is up to you. It is only 1 dinner out of the holiday...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Addicted to Love  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm really torn on this one. If I could thoroughly check out the person first, as in actually meet them and view some references, then I possibly would. But if it was just a case of the agency sending whatever person on the night then no, I probably wouldn't.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have they had police checks? Can u have a copy? How long has the nanny you get worked there for? Will you know that?

I would want to know everything about this nannys working background and criminal history first..so u know if they are fresh to the company or industry..then no way!
    Have you googled reviews of the nanny service your thinking of?
    I have seen some forums on Bali that give rave reviews of some babysitting services so I would probably consider that if other tourists recommended.. And a lot of them recommended..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done on a number of occasions, in Bali by the hotel staff who have always been fantastic. On one occasion the lady couldn't settle her so called me and I was only a few minutes away so returned. In Hong Kong - often with the 'helpers' (ie maids) of my relatives and those of their friends.

Perhaps if you could hire the nanny for during the day when you are there too and perhaps go out for lunch or hang by the pool, slowly leave bubs in the room with the nanny for an hour while you are still at the resort and see how you go? If it's really tearing at you then you have your answer, but if you get to know the nanny and see her in action you might be more comfortable?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would but I wonder whether it might be better if you had a separate sitter so the he can sleep properly. I'd also look at settling him before you leave and this might be a stupid question but would the nanny speak English? I'd struggle if they didn't speak quite good English as I would worry maybe they wouldn't understand what I was telling them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If I was uncomfortable leaving him I would tag team with DH - if it were my families party I would go and leave DH with baby and then leave early and go back to the hotel so DH could go to the party for a while - as pp said - do what you are comfortable with and go with your gut , if it were me I would suss out the hotel and sitters when I got there and maybe put DS to bed first and then go

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No I wouldn't do it. For a baby your DS's age or an older child. Overseas or in Australia. Too many weirdos and pedophiles that are good at hiding who they really are from unsuspecting parents.

The only care I will consider for my gild is being babysat by someone I know or being looked after in a childcare centre I know.
    This.

...and they don't even have to turn out to be weirdos and pedophiles, maybe they are just disinterested and distracted...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldnt do it. I would take bub. Hell, unless it strictly stated no children, I would even take my now almost 2.5 year old.

However, He has only ever been left with my mum a handful of times, and attends childcare 3hrs a week for social interaction. I stress out at both, although id leave him more with my mum its just she lives about 7hrs drive away half of the time, and has some health issues which affect her mobility/ability to lift him/change his bum etc.. He won't even stay home with daddy.... A real mummys boy....so I wouldnt even use an australian one...

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If I was uncomfortable leaving him I would tag team with DH - if it were my families party I would go and leave DH with baby and then leave early and go back to the hotel so DH could go to the party for a while - as pp said - do what you are comfortable with and go with your gut , if it were me I would suss out the hotel and sitters when I got there and maybe put DS to bed first and then go
    Well, its funny you say this EM, it is my close family member as it turns out and when DH and I were discussing it the other night he said to me "obviously I would stay with DS and you would go the party", he is a gem like that but part of me does feel its my responsibility and I would feel so bad for DH, 20 of us going off on a fancy night out and leaving him behind with the baby. Maybe I can ask for a doggy bag

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addicted to Love For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (30-07-2013),VicPark  (31-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some awesome advice and ideas thanks ladies, its interesting to hear everyone's different perspectives, such varying degrees of comfort level when it comes to this sort of thing.

If I do get there and feel willing to look into the possibility then its a great idea to test the waters first and do a day stint with the nanny / babysitter, I would most definitely be investigating the sitters life / career history before I said yes.