+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    My sister and my bestie are lactating and have produced robust healthy boubbas. We've already discussed if anything were to happen to me could they please share milk with my bubba. I know that artificial milk is safe and perfectly adequate but I don't like the thought of it for my baby, I see breast milk as such an amazing gift.
    I think if you know the person and trust them 100%, it would be different, if i had the opportunity, I might consider taking milk from my sister (if she quit smoking!) or best friend. However I wouldn't feel comfortable entering into a long term donor situation with them, expressing is time consuming and also wouldn't want them to feel that they had to continue bf just to feed my baby if they didn't want to. It would only be in an emergency, such as if I got sick, so baby could gently be weaned onto formula.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (30-07-2013),snowqu33n  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Personally I think that breastmilk is almost always best but If i cant breastfeed, formula is the way to go. My kids both had severe feeding issues(allergies) as well as I cant breast feed due to the fact I cant lactate. If I can ever have another child I will be feeding d-lact from birth again.

In fact a funny story was when my daughter was in scbu I threatened to breastfeed her so they would give her more d-lact milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Formula. I'd be concerned by any illness or disease the donor mum had, and honestly, no other woman is feeding my child. I have enough crap feelings about not being able to breast feed as it is, no way I would use donor milk.

Obviously if we lived in a 3rd world country with no access to clean water or formula, I'd have another woman feed my child. But with the safety of formula here and it being a close 2nd nutritionally, formula would always be my choice.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (30-07-2013),Patience Belmont  (30-07-2013),pigeonpairplusone  (30-07-2013),Purple Lily  (30-07-2013),snowqu33n  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Formula. Nothing wrong with donor milk but for me it wouldn't be worth the hassle of sourcing it.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    knockknockpenny I'd be very interested to hear how you go with gsining a supply without a pregnancy, I've read about it, but never known anyone who has actually done it. That would be babies heaven I would think... TWO lactating Mums!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (30-07-2013),steel magnolia  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now if I could only work out how to get my husband to lactate, I would be in heaven!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't bf, but persevered with a super low supply for 6 months. Bub would have formula at each feed awell a any ebm and a short bf. At 6 months I had to go on medication, so he just had formula. Will be doing the same in the future... Maybe not for so long though.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    Now if I could only work out how to get my husband to lactate, I would be in heaven!
    Apparently men can!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Been there. I expressed for as long as I could and then switched to formula. If we had milk banks with tested donor milk like they do in Europe then I might have done that first. But I don't like the idea of getting it off people when you don't know their history etc.
    The other thing I noticed, with the donor milk groups on facebook, is people will say "I have 40 mls of milk in Engadine" and another person will be like "I have 30 mls in Parramatta" etc - All that running around for less than a full feed. Logistically it makes no sense.

But it was definitely a really hard decision.
    I agree it would be ridiculous for small amounts, my friend had a few very committed donors, and one even managed to courier her about 4 or 5 litres of milk one time.

It's a real shame the Gold Coast breast milk bank never got off the ground.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    With my second baby, my sister was lactating at the same time and I used her frozen EBM all the time. I couldn't express much, so on the occasions where I had an event on, DS2 was cup fed my sister's breastmilk

It's definitely great if you have someone close to you who is lactating as well (we lived together too, bonus!)