+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 317
  1. #281
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If someone says they formula fed their baby because they lost 10% of their birthweight after 3 days, then I would assume they don't know that it is normal. I wasn't saying it to be rude. I formula fed my first from birth pretty much because she wouldn't latch on, so don't assume I'm saying things to make people feel guilty. I also have a tin of formula in my cupboard that I bought after my third was born, just in case.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (08-08-2013),Bubbles10  (08-08-2013),HollyGolightly81  (08-08-2013),MilkingMaid  (08-08-2013)

  3. #282
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    4,087
    Thanks
    1,466
    Thanked
    1,215
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    If someone says they formula fed their baby because they lost 10% of their birthweight after 3 days, then I would assume they don't know that it is normal. I wasn't saying it to be rude. I formula fed my first from birth pretty much because she wouldn't latch on, so don't assume I'm saying things to make people feel guilty. I also have a tin of formula in my cupboard that I bought after my third was born, just in case.
    My DD lost 10% of her birthweight in the first 2 days. By day 3 she had lost over 10% and it was looking really bad for her. So no, losing more than 10% of her birthweight was not my only reason for switching to formula. Throw in no supply, cracked and bleeding nipples and poor latch and its fairly clear to see I was doomed from the start.

    I'm fairly sure MAJORITY if mothers would know that loosung 10% of the birthweight is fairly "normal"

  4. #283
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    4,087
    Thanks
    1,466
    Thanked
    1,215
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    Ftm has been fairly vocal about her apathy towards BF, clearly it's not something she is particularly emotionally invested in, she's happy with her decision so what anyone else thinks of it is irrelevant. That's the way it should be!

    Others might read that losing 10% of a newbies body weight is somehow a problem, when its just not true. Are we seriously more comfortable with the spread of misinformation. Than we are with pointing out a fact to someone who doesn't care either way anyway?
    What about the people that do care?
    I think it's all a bit patronizing,FF mothers and BF mothers alike are entitled to the correct information about all of the options. It's patronizing to suggest that we not share it because we can't handle the truth.
    I guess I'm vocal about it because I'm sick of certain women making other women feel like sh!t for switching to formula. I have a wonderful lady in my DIG who beats herself up about switching when she had no choice and she refuses to venture into these topics because it makes her feel like a bad mum. That couldn't be farther from the truth! She's an awesome mum and I'm sick of her feeling like crap when she reads comments about FF being a bad thing. I'm not against BF, not even a little bit. It just wasn't for me. I admire greatly women who do breast feed. So why can't pro BF ladies just let us FF mothers do what we need to do for our babies without it turning into "you could have tried harder" and yaddah yaddah yaddah? Why can't pro BF mums admire the FF mums for making that choice?

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

    ChickyBee  (08-08-2013),risfaerie  (08-08-2013)

  6. #284
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    My DD lost 10% of her birthweight in the first 2 days. By day 3 she had lost over 10% and it was looking really bad for her. So no, losing more than 10% of her birthweight was not my only reason for switching to formula. Throw in no supply, cracked and bleeding nipples and poor latch and its fairly clear to see I was doomed from the start.

    I'm fairly sure MAJORITY if mothers would know that loosung 10% of the birthweight is fairly "normal"
    That's not what you said the first time

  7. #285
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    4,087
    Thanks
    1,466
    Thanked
    1,215
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    That's not what you said the first time
    Does it matter that I didn't go right into detail? Like seriously
    Now that you know it all its ok but before it wasn't?

  8. #286
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked
    166
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was never told losing 10% was normal until after a week and they weighed her for going home. I had no idea what was normal and what wasn't

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IncyWincy For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (08-08-2013),Boobycino  (08-08-2013),MilkingMaid  (08-08-2013),risfaerie  (08-08-2013),smallpotatoes  (08-08-2013)

  10. #287
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks
    5,083
    Thanked
    1,220
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    I guess I'm vocal about it because I'm sick of certain women making other women feel like sh!t for switching to formula. I have a wonderful lady in my DIG who beats herself up about switching when she had no choice and she refuses to venture into these topics because it makes her feel like a bad mum. That couldn't be farther from the truth! She's an awesome mum and I'm sick of her feeling like crap when she reads comments about FF being a bad thing. I'm not against BF, not even a little bit. It just wasn't for me. I admire greatly women who do breast feed. So why can't pro BF ladies just let us FF mothers do what we need to do for our babies without it turning into "you could have tried harder" and yaddah yaddah yaddah? Why can't pro BF mums admire the FF mums for making that choice?
    There are plenty of threads/sections I don't read because they are upsetting/annoying/etc, this is sensible.

  11. #288
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Among the gumtrees
    Posts
    1,170
    Thanks
    739
    Thanked
    394
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    ...There is more than one definition of NOT being able to breastfeed. It's not just about the mechanics of the breast and the milk. There are underlying medical conditions like thrush, vasaspasm and mastitis. Some babies can't/don't suck effectively. Some women are just in plain AGONY. And the pain they suffer is not always the same as what people who have managed to persevere went through. It can be much worse (not always of course). No woman has any idea of what another women goes through. The pain of cracked nipples is not the same for everyone. The nature of a birth and any trauma they suffer is not the same for everyone. The amount of sleep they get us not the same. All these factors and many more can mean it is not possible to BF.
    This is so true. And its these obstacles that can still leave mums with guilt over FF'ing. Well it did for me with my first anyway. Thrush, mastitis, latching issues, sucking issues, supply issues, absolute agonizing pain, bleeding nipples and milk allergy, all contributed to my "failure" to breastfeed DD.

    But after the horrific BF'ing ordeal i went thru with my first bub, the decision to FF my second was a relatively simple and guilt-free one. Truth be told, it was actually my husband that made the decision for me and i conceeded.
    He said to me, "Formula proved to be the healthier option with [DD]. This bub might be fine with milk, but what he needs much more than breastmilk is a healthy and sane mother. Please dont do this to yourself again."
    How could i argue with that? As it turned out, bub #2 latched on like a pro when he was placed on my chest after birth. And he has no sign of milk allergy or any other allergies. He would have been a good one to breastfeed. But i dont regret our decision to FF him. FF'ing allowed me to enjoy our early days and bond and i wish i'd had that with DD. our early days were so filled with anxiety, we never bonded, i suffered PND, and still today we are not close.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post:

    FirstTimeMummy2012  (08-08-2013)

  13. #289
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    4,087
    Thanks
    1,466
    Thanked
    1,215
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    There are plenty of threads/sections I don't read because they are upsetting/annoying/etc, this is sensible.
    That's sad actually. Sad that one can't venture anywhere they like on the hub. So much for a supportive environment.

  14. #290
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks
    5,083
    Thanked
    1,220
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    That's sad actually. Sad that one can't venture anywhere they like on the hub. So much for a supportive environment.
    I know my limits and what will upset me. For the record, it's the subject matter rather than users opinions that bother me. And don't be sad, I'm not. It's life that all things won't be palatable to all people.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (08-08-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Turtle Beach Resort QLD also Sea World etc...
    By Shanaynay in forum Destination Suggestions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-05-2013, 16:06
  2. Hepburn spa resort Vic...or?
    By 2BlueBirds in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-01-2013, 12:12
  3. Resort recommendation for Vanuatu?
    By Janey2012 in forum Destination Suggestions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 07:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
GymbaROO
GymbaROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available Australia-wide. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!