+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I linked info a page or two back about the chemicals found in breast milk- these include pesticides. So if both contain pesticides that has to say something.
    Re education and bf- I do think there needs to be more. I do firmly believe that some mothers go to ff because they are not educated or supported enough to successfully bf- I know because I was one.
    I was too. Ds was positioned and latching well, appeared to be feeding well, fell asleep while feeding, so we were left to our own devices....he was severly unsettled, but I was just told it was because my milk hadn't come in yet.

I wasnt told anything about hungry signs or how often to feed, I just kept offering when he was unsettled.

He was unsettled because he was hungry, he was falling asleep from pure exhaustion trying to feed off me, when there was virtually nothing there, so he then wasnt stimulating my body enough, so it didn't make enough, therefore, he was hungry still. One huge viscous cycle!! We just couldn't snap out of it.. I wasnt even told about pumping...

On day 6 he had lost 17% of his birth weight, so we were readmitted....this time, in another hospital, I seen lcs and obgyns, who helped a bit, but mostly, it was my perseverance for knowledge to try and get my supply up...if I had of listened to some people, he would have been ff from about a week old, but I was hoping something would kick my body into gear and get the milk happening...it didn't...

We narrowly avoided him having an ng tube....just to get some nutrition into him.

However, I know alot more now, so will be better prepared when we have another, and hopefully have a less rocky start, even if we have to mix feed, I know ill have done everything in my power to bf, but if we need to mix feed again, I now know its not the end of the world like it seems to be made out to be. I would much rather a settled thriving baby than starving and undernourished

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 05-08-2013 at 20:04.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think the main difference is the live bacteria and antibodies in bm that they've not replicated in formula. Obviously it's impossible to replicate those exactly, but I wonder why they don't seem to be trying to get closer to at least the digestion friendly bacteria? Or something! I don't know. It just seems absurd that with all we have today, the best they can come up with is adding omega 3s? I could be way off, there may be far more research going on that I don't know about. All I'm saying is that I don't honk a one would object to better/safer/healthier formulas. And more natural ones- the popularity of bellamys organic speaks volumes there.and that's not to say current ones are terrible-far from it- all I'm suggesting is improving an already pretty good product iykwim.

Eta-CDC warning about cronobacter found in formula : http://www.cdc.gov/features/cronobacter/ the main risk of formula contamination seems to be from less than perfect hygiene when preparing. I wonder how prevalent it is- I know I've heard of mums on here using tap water to make up formula.
    I think that is the catch 22 - formula will never match breast milk in terms of antibodies and beneficial bacteria as long as it needs to go into heated water and it needs to go into heated water to destroy the bad bacteria as formula is not sterile. They could possibly look at an additive that is kept in the fridge and added to formula once it has cooled to a certain temperature - most people would probably find that a bit too much trouble though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    I think that is the catch 22 - formula will never match breast milk in terms of antibodies and beneficial bacteria as long as it needs to go into heated water and it needs to go into heated water to destroy the bad bacteria as formula is not sterile. They could possibly look at an additive that is kept in the fridge and added to formula once it has cooled to a certain temperature - most people would probably find that a bit too much trouble though.
    OT but I am giggling at my typo in the post you quoted- should say "think anyone" not "honk a one"!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OT but I am giggling at my typo in the post you quoted- should say "think anyone" not "honk a one"!!
    Goose

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It was impolite to mention it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    It was impolite to mention it
    *snort* By all mean, mention mine. They make me giggle when I am usually such a spelling/grammar nerd!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

BlueLips  (07-08-2013),NancyBlackett  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't get feeding pride. When breastfeeding, it was a means to nourish a baby. When formula feeding it was a meant to nourish a child. There was no feeling of pride with that, so I don't get when people say they proudly breastfeed or proudly formula feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret of Cleo View Post
    I don't get feeding pride. When breastfeeding, it was a means to nourish a baby. When formula feeding it was a meant to nourish a child. There was no feeling of pride with that, so I don't get when people say they proudly breastfeed or proudly formula feed.
    I can't comment for everyone (obviously) but I think people feel proud because they have often overcome many hurdles to breastfeed, and feel proud that they did, or they proudly formula feed as it demonstrates that they've made a choice that's right for them, a choice that is often difficult and can be criticised.

I don't think in either case a person who says that is denigrating the alternative when they say they felt proud. After I had DD1 I was unconscious on and off for several days, and was only able to breastfeed because my mother (a midwife) lived in the hospital with me and put DD1 on my breast every 4 hours (whether I was awake or not). So yes I did feel a sense of pride after that; but if it hadn't worked out I would have moved to formula and that would have been a decision I would have been fine with, given what I had been through.

HTH.
    Last edited by Sonja; 06-08-2013 at 23:38.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2013),ChickyBee  (07-08-2013),oozzle  (07-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's pretty easy to 'get' IMO... if someone sets themselves a goal, prepares themselves on how to reach that goal, continues to try and reach that goal even though sometimes it's really hard, and then after all their efforts they finally reach their goal.... they're going to feel pretty darned proud of themselves, and so they should.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2013),BlueLips  (07-08-2013),IndigoJ  (07-08-2013),just her chameleon  (07-08-2013),Mathermy  (07-08-2013),oozzle  (07-08-2013),smallpotatoes  (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I felt the same way, until I chose to ff DS & everyone around me acted as though I was giving him bleach. I'm proud of making a choice that meant I could be a better mother, that I wasn't resenting my son for needing to be fed & that I was able to stand my ground against my unsupportive support network. I'm damned proud of making the right choice for us & being able to recognize it as such.

(I'm also proud of some the quick retorts I used to give people who got stuck into me for using a bottle, but that's another thread.)

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2013),Boobycino  (07-08-2013),FirstTimeMummy2012  (07-08-2013),Guest654  (08-08-2013),oozzle  (07-08-2013),risfaerie  (08-08-2013),VicPark  (08-08-2013)