+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Thanks - am booked in next week.

I was having a self imposed break from BH. Too many things on here doing my head in lately.
    Good luck. Enjoy your newbie snuggles.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Crow View Post
    Thank you!! My breastmilk was making my daughter horrendously sick, and once she was on prescription formula she finally began to thrive and was no longer in horrible pain - and yet i STILL felt massive guilt about "failing" to breastfeed her and failing as a mother because she was on formula because "breast is best"!! How screwed is that?? How warped had my thinking become??

Formula feeding mums NEED a heck of a lot more support that they are currently getting.
    I agree. There is simply not enough support for ff mums. I remember being stressed and tired and terrified with a screaming nb. Parenthood was literally the shock of my life. I was stunned. And man, I was so guilty. Everything felt like a mistake.

The only actual supportive help I had was my family, and stragners online. Even the most supportive health professional was unable to support my choice without the obligatory "breast is best, but if you MUST choose formula" spiel.

Supporting ff does not mean not supporting and educating women on bf.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    My 9yr old DS was FF from 6weeks by necessity. My DD was FF from 8weeks and so far so good.

I think people can be passionate about their choices and beliefs without being cruel and nasty about others. Some of us who FF have no other choice...some have tried and tried and tried to give their child breastmilk through BF and EBM and havent been able to make it work. What these people need is support for their struggle, not to come here and read so many hurtful things being said about FF. People need to learn to shut up sometimes.

I thought I was totally cool with FF my daughter, but every fiber of my being felt horribly guilty as I stood in the formula isle trying to decide which one to try. Why? Because of the nasty sh!t that has been said on this forum about FF. When DS had to be FF I wasnt on BH and just figured I was doing what was right for my child.......breastmilk gone, oh well I'll go get some formula. This time around I felt like there were people who would be tut-tutting me as I put the formula in my trolley or on the check out. My daughter has been formula fed for weeks now and I still get this horrible feeling whenever I buy her formula.

People need to think a bit before spouting off hurtful comments. You might think its just your opinion and people can take it, but some mothers are fighting a private struggle that you arent aware of and comments can linger alot longer than a thread lasts.
    I really feel like standing and saluting you for this!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    I really feel like standing and saluting you for this!

Agreed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    My 9yr old DS was FF from 6weeks by necessity. My DD was FF from 8weeks and so far so good.

I think people can be passionate about their choices and beliefs without being cruel and nasty about others. Some of us who FF have no other choice...some have tried and tried and tried to give their child breastmilk through BF and EBM and havent been able to make it work. What these people need is support for their struggle, not to come here and read so many hurtful things being said about FF. People need to learn to shut up sometimes.

I thought I was totally cool with FF my daughter, but every fiber of my being felt horribly guilty as I stood in the formula isle trying to decide which one to try. Why? Because of the nasty sh!t that has been said on this forum about FF. When DS had to be FF I wasnt on BH and just figured I was doing what was right for my child.......breastmilk gone, oh well I'll go get some formula. This time around I felt like there were people who would be tut-tutting me as I put the formula in my trolley or on the check out. My daughter has been formula fed for weeks now and I still get this horrible feeling whenever I buy her formula.

People need to think a bit before spouting off hurtful comments. You might think its just your opinion and people can take it, but some mothers are fighting a private struggle that you arent aware of and comments can linger alot longer than a thread lasts.
    This is what I was trying to say, while I know no one meant it directly, for those who have no choice BUT to use formula, for whatever reason, they are still most likely battling their own demons and guilt over having to ff, and hearing some of the negative things said about formula, makes then feel worse. I'm sure they already know that bfing is considered the best choice where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    thank you so much for this. I think the above is some of the frustrations ffers feel. Yep, it's the most natural choice. It's great stuff, no doubt. But I think some get a little OTT about the benefits of bm vs formula.
    Yep. done people do get caught up in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Formula is a perfectly appropriate food for babies and isn't the devil and breastmilk, while I think it is the most natural and best options if possible, is not liquid sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. Some of the claims I have seen attributed to it are bordering on the ridiculous!
    exactally. At the end of the day, whatever bub is fed, is the best choice if mum and bub are happy.

Another thought.... I'm sure that in some circumstances, formula would be better nutritionally for the child also... I'm thinking....drug addicts and alcoholics....or even a mum who can't pump ebm, but bfs....and has a big night out, for whatever reason...in these situations, im sure it would be the preferred choice!

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree. It would be really nice if there was a thread about FF that once in a while didn't include the word pesticides. Who cares if its "fact" (and I say that as there are pesticides and other crap in tons of food we feed our albeit a bit older kids). What purpose does it serve apart from making people feel like ****?

And it's not as though saying it is beneficial as it might "educate" people. VERY few people FF because they want to.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-08-2013),babyla  (05-08-2013),beebs  (05-08-2013),Purple Lily  (05-08-2013),steel magnolia  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

And it's not as though saying it is beneficial as it might "educate" people. VERY few people FF because they want to.
    I couldn't agree more. I loathe it when people dress judgment up as educating the other person.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-08-2013),beebs  (05-08-2013),ChickyBee  (05-08-2013),Gracie's Mum  (07-08-2013),HearMeRoar  (07-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (05-08-2013),steel magnolia  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I agree. It would be really nice if there was a thread about FF that once in a while didn't include the word pesticides. Who cares if its "fact" (and I say that as there are pesticides and other crap in tons of food we feed our albeit a bit older kids). What purpose does it serve apart from making people feel like ****?

I linked info a page or two back about the chemicals found in breast milk- these include pesticides. So if both contain pesticides that has to say something.
    Re education and bf- I do think there needs to be more. I do firmly believe that some mothers go to ff because they are not educated or supported enough to successfully bf- I know because I was one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whatever it took to ensure bubs was happy and healthy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the education does actually need to be balanced though.

I was totally devastated for years not being able to breastfeed, it really impacted negatively on my life, I end up with severe Post natal anxiety (not only linked to that but it definitely was a part of it). I didn't bond with my baby for months. And the guilt just went on and on.

It is only recently, reading all these studies that are showing that in the scheme of things, breastfed babies and formula fed babies are ending up similar in terms of health and IQ etc, that I have started feeling so much better about it all. But also extremely annoyed that breast milk has been held up as a miracle food all this time, with all the judgement towards formula feeding - when actually it isn't a miracle- it is normal, healthful human food.

Yes brestmilk is awesome - if you can, then at least give it a try. But if you can't, and you "resort" to formula, the studies are showing that there is really no difference between those that were fed breast milk and those that weren't.

And that needs to be spoken of in these education sessions, the ABA needs to say stuff like that. The pressure to breastfeed is enormous, and if you can't or fail, there is so much evidence that shows that PND is common in women who fail to breastfeed, and that just isn't right at all.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-08-2013),ChickyBee  (05-08-2013),delirium  (05-08-2013),steel magnolia  (05-08-2013)