+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Oh I agree Atropos. A vast majority of mums that donate milk are healthy, have good lifestyle choices and are donating for good reasons. But I guess what is acceptable is different for everyone. Is coffee ok? you might have a woman that drinks 3 cups of instant coffee a day, and is exclusively bfing. That child shows zero ill effects from it. She then donates her milk to a child that cannot handle the caffeine. The donator may not have even registered it could be an issue due to 1)caffeine being a legal substance 2) her child being fine.

I'm wanting to understand what it is they are hiding in the ingredients? they list everything in it? what makes you think they are leaving stuff out - again a genuine question as if we are given another child they more than likely will be ff so I want to be informed.

I also want to be clear I fully support the choice of donor milk for others. I just want bfers to understand why some of us wouldn't use it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-08-2013),Atropos  (05-08-2013),beebs  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Formula is a perfectly appropriate food for babies and isn't the devil and breastmilk, while I think it is the most natural and best options if possible, is not liquid sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. Some of the claims I have seen attributed to it are bordering on the ridiculous!
    thank you so much for this. I think the above is some of the frustrations ffers feel. Yep, it's the most natural choice. It's great stuff, no doubt. But I think some get a little OTT about the benefits of bm vs formula.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-08-2013),beebs  (05-08-2013),kw123  (05-08-2013),risfaerie  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubmum View Post
    Yep, nothing in there about "poor formula fed babies". And nothing attacking families or Mothers, as was suggested..just facts, and my own concern. And the "evil" was from a previous post. Once presented with a theme, it's best to roll with it. So thanks for posting that..
    Ignorance and sarcasm. Gotta love that!!

FF'ing mums please don't beat yourself up about feeding your baby!! I am a very proud FF'r that has a very healthy and very happy baby! She is being fed and that's all that counts!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

AmyEL  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm wanting to understand what it is they are hiding in the ingredients? they list everything in it?
    what makes you think they are leaving stuff out - again a genuine question as if we are given another child they more than likely will be ff so I want to be informed.
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Incidently, in Australia formula companies are not compelled or forced to list all the ingredients that the formula contains. They release just what they want us to know.

If you want to do more reading about it there is plenty of information at foodlabellingreview.gov.au
    From what I can gather, I think it's like with vitamin tablets and supplements - they're classified differently to other food products. The companies are legally required to list specific ingredients and common allergens, but not all ingredients.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kj2010 View Post
    From what I can gather, I think it's like with vitamin tablets and supplements - they're classified differently to other food products. The companies are legally required to list specific ingredients and common allergens, but not all ingredients.
    This
    Apparently the ingredients can actually vary from batch to batch as long as certain requirements are met too. It doesn't sit well with me because I believe they should be completely transparent- there shouldn't be an element of the unknown in a commercially produced product for babies, you know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Oh I agree Atropos. A vast majority of mums that donate milk are healthy, have good lifestyle choices and are donating for good reasons. But I guess what is acceptable is different for everyone. Is coffee ok? you might have a woman that drinks 3 cups of instant coffee a day, and is exclusively bfing. That child shows zero ill effects from it. She then donates her milk to a child that cannot handle the caffeine. The donator may not have even registered it could be an issue due to 1)caffeine being a legal substance 2) her child being fine.

I'm wanting to understand what it is they are hiding in the ingredients? they list everything in it? what makes you think they are leaving stuff out - again a genuine question as if we are given another child they more than likely will be ff so I want to be informed.

I also want to be clear I fully support the choice of donor milk for others. I just want bfers to understand why some of us wouldn't use it.
    Yeah i do agree with you re coffee etc. it's a hard gig, this mum business! We are often our own biggest critics, I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just realised I told a lie. The only time I would feel concerned enough to actually question how a parent was feeding would be if I found that they were using a "homemade formula". I've seen recipes online and I would definitely be worried about that- there's no way to regulate them or to ensure they are nutritionally sound.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-08-2013),RobinSparkles  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Formula is a perfectly appropriate food for babies and isn't the devil and breastmilk, while I think it is the most natural and best options if possible, is not liquid sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. Some of the claims I have seen attributed to it are bordering on the ridiculous!
    Thank you!! My breastmilk was making my daughter horrendously sick, and once she was on prescription formula she finally began to thrive and was no longer in horrible pain - and yet i STILL felt massive guilt about "failing" to breastfeed her and failing as a mother because she was on formula because "breast is best"!! How screwed is that?? How warped had my thinking become??

Formula feeding mums NEED a heck of a lot more support that they are currently getting.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-08-2013),Atropos  (05-08-2013),beebs  (05-08-2013),Meld85  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Crow View Post
    Thank you!! My breastmilk was making my daughter horrendously sick, and once she was on prescription formula she finally began to thrive and was no longer in horrible pain - and yet i STILL felt massive guilt about "failing" to breastfeed her and failing as a mother because she was on formula because "breast is best"!! How screwed is that?? How warped had my thinking become??

Formula feeding mums NEED a heck of a lot more support that they are currently getting.
    we really put ourselves through the ringer. I still carry guilt for not bfing my now 10 year old!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

steel magnolia  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Personally I would use formula unless I had instant access to a great BM supply from a close friend or relative. When I had a newborn, difficulty with access to BM would have made life much harder than it already was. I was extremely lucky to have been able to breastfeed.

I think we all need to keep in mind that everybody makes their own risk assessments. The contamination scares would worry me if I had a newborn who needed formula. It would seriously have me worried (I'm a worrier with things like that). I also dislike giving my money to companies who are known for their dubious behaviours in less fortunate countries. For those reasons I'd never FF by choice unless I had to. BUT I accept that everyone is different, and for others they see donated breastmilk as a risk, or they simply don't want to use it and I view that as perfectly fine.

I have to admit it's a bit disappointing when I see people speaking of donated breastmilk and what stands out to me is the level of aggression directed to those who need it, or use it by choice - 'diseased', etc. Any form of feeding our babies comes with risks. One mother may have a baby who won't tolerate breastmilk so uses formula. Another baby may not tolerate formula so his mum uses donated breastmilk. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making our own risk assessments and I get sick to death of hearing that those who use donated BM are martyrs, sick, should 'just' use formula, etc.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-08-2013),beebs  (05-08-2013),Bubbles10  (05-08-2013),HollyGolightly81  (05-08-2013),Stiflers Mom  (05-08-2013)