+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Answering the op, if I couldn't breast feed this time I would use formula. But I don't see it as "resorting" to anything, I see it as doing the best I can to ensure my baby was happy and healthy.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laylapie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-08-2013),steel magnolia  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I haven't posted in here yet as I don't usually discuss my views on bf or ff, but I have to agree with Delerium. I recall maybe 18 months ago there was a massive scare about contaminated cows milk at one of the dairy manufacturers in NSW (from memory) and no one was saying we shouldn't continue to give our kids cows milk - just that people needed to be careful about which brand they selected.

I have never understood why people give a tinker's cuss what other women feed their babies. No one I know personally makes these decisions lightly, and often they are bound up with a lot of exhaustion and guilt. Personally I am tired of this topic on BH as it seems to have become an acceptable area for some people to make others feel guilty (usually unintentionally).

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-08-2013),AmyEL  (05-08-2013),angelini  (05-08-2013),beebs  (05-08-2013),kw123  (05-08-2013),lambjam  (05-08-2013),Purple Lily  (05-08-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 9yr old DS was FF from 6weeks by necessity. My DD was FF from 8weeks and so far so good.

I think people can be passionate about their choices and beliefs without being cruel and nasty about others. Some of us who FF have no other choice...some have tried and tried and tried to give their child breastmilk through BF and EBM and havent been able to make it work. What these people need is support for their struggle, not to come here and read so many hurtful things being said about FF. People need to learn to shut up sometimes.

I thought I was totally cool with FF my daughter, but every fiber of my being felt horribly guilty as I stood in the formula isle trying to decide which one to try. Why? Because of the nasty sh!t that has been said on this forum about FF. When DS had to be FF I wasnt on BH and just figured I was doing what was right for my child.......breastmilk gone, oh well I'll go get some formula. This time around I felt like there were people who would be tut-tutting me as I put the formula in my trolley or on the check out. My daughter has been formula fed for weeks now and I still get this horrible feeling whenever I buy her formula.

People need to think a bit before spouting off hurtful comments. You might think its just your opinion and people can take it, but some mothers are fighting a private struggle that you arent aware of and comments can linger alot longer than a thread lasts.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-08-2013),angelini  (05-08-2013),Atropos  (05-08-2013),beebs  (05-08-2013),Chippa  (05-08-2013),delirium  (05-08-2013),FirstTimeMummy2012  (05-08-2013),HearMeRoar  (05-08-2013),HugsBunny  (05-08-2013),LoveLivesHere  (05-08-2013),oozzle  (05-08-2013),Purple Lily  (05-08-2013),risfaerie  (05-08-2013),steel magnolia  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    My 9yr old DS was FF from 6weeks by necessity. My DD was FF from 8weeks and so far so good.

I think people can be passionate about their choices and beliefs without being cruel and nasty about others. Some of us who FF have no other choice...some have tried and tried and tried to give their child breastmilk through BF and EBM and havent been able to make it work. What these people need is support for their struggle, not to come here and read so many hurtful things being said about FF. People need to learn to shut up sometimes.

I thought I was totally cool with FF my daughter, but every fiber of my being felt horribly guilty as I stood in the formula isle trying to decide which one to try. Why? Because of the nasty sh!t that has been said on this forum about FF. When DS had to be FF I wasnt on BH and just figured I was doing what was right for my child.......breastmilk gone, oh well I'll go get some formula. This time around I felt like there were people who would be tut-tutting me as I put the formula in my trolley or on the check out. My daughter has been formula fed for weeks now and I still get this horrible feeling whenever I buy her formula.
    I know exactly what you mean, I felt ashamed at looking at formula in the supermarket, choosing to research online instead of reading the tins because I didn't want to be in that aisle for too long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post

People need to think a bit before spouting off hurtful comments. You might think its just your opinion and people can take it, but some mothers are fighting a private struggle that you arent aware of and comments can linger alot longer than a thread lasts.
    London I couldn't of had said it better myself! I joined the hub for support. I'm a new mum in a new town with very few friends with children. Since swapping to ff when ds was 8 weeks after a very unsuccessful bf relationship there have been a number of very hurtful threads about ff that I feel have been unnecessary! I live in a regional city where donor milk is not an option... Would the people who feel formula is poison have rather my son starve to death. I think people live their perfect world with their rose colour glasses on.... Yes it's nice to think that you can bf your child for as long as you can/want but unfortunately for some people like me... As much as I longed to, I couldn't. I made a decision that was best for my child. Was it hard... You bet it was! And getting on here for "support" makes me feel worse than I do. I appreciate that people are entitled to their own opinions but I think people need to think before they speak/post. I think the moderators need to do a better job of controlling the threads. Somewhere out there is a vulnerable mother who may not be able to handle some of these comments! I feel some people create threads that hurt people's feelings on purpose. The bf/ff topic has been debated and discussed maybe its time to leave it be. There are lots of parenting decisions I don't particularly agree with but as I haven't been in certain situations I don't feel I can comment.

I'm an early childhood teacher and I have spent my career teaching little people how to share their opinions sensitively without hurting people's feelings... Maybe some of us need to revisit this lesson.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsboyts For This Useful Post:

angelini  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsboyts View Post
    London I couldn't of had said it better myself! I joined the hub for support. I'm a new mum in a new town with very few friends with children. Since swapping to ff when ds was 8 weeks after a very unsuccessful bf relationship there have been a number of very hurtful threads about ff that I feel have been unnecessary! I live in a regional city where donor milk is not an option... Would the people who feel formula is poison have rather my son starve to death. I think people live their perfect world with their rose colour glasses on.... Yes it's nice to think that you can bf your child for as long as you can/want but unfortunately for some people like me... As much as I longed to, I couldn't. I made a decision that was best for my child. Was it hard... You bet it was! And getting on here for "support" makes me feel worse than I do. I appreciate that people are entitled to their own opinions but I think people need to think before they speak/post. I think the moderators need to do a better job of controlling the threads. Somewhere out there is a vulnerable mother who may not be able to handle some of these comments! I feel some people create threads that hurt people's feelings on purpose. The bf/ff topic has been debated and discussed maybe its time to leave it be. There are lots of parenting decisions I don't particularly agree with but as I haven't been in certain situations I don't feel I can comment.

I'm an early childhood teacher and I have spent my career teaching little people how to share their opinions sensitively without hurting people's feelings... Maybe some of us need to revisit this lesson.
    Can I just (gently) point out that not one person here has said it is better to starve a child than to give formula? The OP was asking what each of us would do in the situation- not what we think everyone else should do. It's only natural that people start discussing the merits of each option.

If you feel a particular post is breaking a rule or not in the spirit of the Hub then you need to report it- the mods are volunteers and can't read every single post, so if there is a prob it's best to report it or PM one of our lovely mods direct

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with the others. At the end of the day, I really don't get why anyone else cares so much about what others are feeding their babies. And lets be clear here, it isn't like we are all like can't BF so lets feed our kids coke.

We are talking about FFIng, not poison, not even water, not cows milk.

And very interesting how no one has mentioned the study I linked twice on this thread that found almost no difference between health, life, obesity everythng in formula fed babies and breastfed babies.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-08-2013),AmyEL  (05-08-2013),delirium  (05-08-2013),FirstTimeMummy2012  (05-08-2013),kw123  (05-08-2013),oozzle  (05-08-2013),Purple Lily  (05-08-2013),risfaerie  (05-08-2013),~Marigold~  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Sure, as I said I'm all for the companies being transparent and producing the best and safest formula they can. What is actually in the formula that they are hiding? (genuine question btw)

But I guess my point still stands, the same could be said for donor milk, which goes back to the topic. If it's your sister or best mate that is donating then you know their lifestyle, diet, habits etc. But if you are sourcing donor milk from strangers, then you really don't know what you are getting. She may drink heavily, have a serious illness, be on heavy meds. Some women believe in bfing at all costs, and would consider milk tainted heavily with alcohol (so not just a glass which I think is fine) better than formula and may well not even bother to mention it, or even deny it.

My point is that donor milk is not without safety risks either. But no one assumes that bc 1% of donor milk is no good that means breast milk is no good altogether.
    Exactly- I have the same question! If I made formula, I'd be putting all the ingredients out there so mums and dads felt as confident as possible about the safety of my product made for their precious babes, you know?

I see your point, I do, I don't actually use donor bm from strangers (i use formula from time to time though) but I do recognise how unlikely it is that someone would bother getting trashed then pumping. Most people on HM4HB state they don't drink, smoke or take drugs, it just seems kind of ridiculous to lie to make people take your alcohol laced breast milk, you know? I know there are some weirdos out there but there's no gain for anyone in that scenario. Also you can flash heat or home pasteurise (http://www.eatsonfeetsresources.org/?page_id=257 ) to remove the risk of exposure to HIV and other illnesses.

I don't assume that formula is bad altogether- it was fine for DD1- just that it cold be better- I don't think anyone would object to improved formula options

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-08-2013),Bubbles10  (05-08-2013),MilkingMaid  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Beebs I didn't see the link sorry!

Was it the one posted in the Bottlefeeding section not so long ago?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I agree with the others. At the end of the day, I really don't get why anyone else cares so much about what others are feeding their babies. And lets be clear here, it isn't like we are all like can't BF so lets feed our kids coke.

We are talking about FFIng, not poison, not even water, not cows milk.

And very interesting how no one has mentioned the study I linked twice on this thread that found almost no difference between health, life, obesity everythng in formula fed babies and breastfed babies.
    I've read them. I do think it's a contentious area to study because of the confounding factors (lifestyle, socio economics etc). I actually don't care how anyone else chooses to feed, I just like fed babies Formula is a perfectly appropriate food for babies and isn't the devil and breastmilk, while I think it is the most natural and best options if possible, is not liquid sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. Some of the claims I have seen attributed to it are bordering on the ridiculous!

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

AmyEL  (05-08-2013),beebs  (05-08-2013),delirium  (05-08-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (05-08-2013),Laylapie  (06-08-2013),~Marigold~  (05-08-2013)