+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Goat milk formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubmum View Post
    It is an awful tragedy that babies die because of something that has been fed to them in an innocent manner by their parents.
    Really this could happen with any food, a toddler could contract listeriosis from eating a raw carrot or salmonella poisoning from a piece of chicken that wasn't handled or stored correctly prior to you purchasing it. But people have to eat, so we take every precaution to prepare babies formula properly and to act quickly when the product is recalled. There is risk in everything and parents just have to do whatever is necessary to minimizing these risks.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (04-08-2013),AmyEL  (04-08-2013),beebs  (04-08-2013),casio1  (08-08-2013),kw123  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubmum View Post
    Amiedoll, i posted this because my earlier post where I expressed concern at the actions of formula companies was deemed a whole load of things, when in fact it was ... for want of a better word, factual. People are allowed to give their reasons as to why donor milk is not acceptable, so it is fair to say why formula is not 100% safe. If formula wasn't seen as "the" go to, and breast milk, let alone donor breast milk was more supported, then families would have more choices. You can't demand an option and not support the alternatives and then wonder why the service isn't being provided.
    I think it's safer than unscreened milk from an unknown donor (some people drink and smoke while breast feeding and probably wouldn't think twice about donating, let alone communicable diseases etc). Many FF mums don't have a choice anyway (affordability/sourcing problems are too much for a lot of families especially those in remote areas), for those people having someone point out a recall as a reason formula is unsafe is distressing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    The reason I do use the "milk from another animal" line is because of conversations like two days ago a doctor told me I shouldn't be breastfeeding my daughter much longer, because most women wean at 12 months so I shouldn't keep feeding her (after I'd told him I will be breastfeeding her at least two years and am happy to do so) , then asked if I give her "regular" milk. That's why I do use the line because so many people (probably subconsciously) are more comfortable with human babies receiving what they perceive as "regular milk" (cows milk) or "normal milk" as my in laws call it (referring to formula) than human milk directly from their own mother (or expressed or donor milk)

I mean no disrespect to cows.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I get how that would be really frustrating, people are a bit backwards sometimes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been doing some reading on here and it seems that formula is looked down on. This has not been my personal experience. Nobody seems to take an issue with the type of milk an infant or toddler is given. Not around here anyway. People feed in the way that's right for their families. We'd probably all make a different decision under different circumstances. If we lived in parts where the drinking water was not too good, or my child had a medical condition, or any other factor, then the decision might have been to continue breastfeeding or use donor milk if available. But with a healthy child born into a healthy family in a part of the world where drinking water is safe, with a mother who can read and follow instructions and work things out, where hygiene is at a high level, the choice was to wean onto formula. For me it really was a choice. I was capable of breastfeeding, the baby was capable of breastfeeding and had been doing it for months, but it was better for everyone if she was fully weaned from the breast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    I think it's safer than unscreened milk from an unknown donor (some people drink and smoke while breast feeding and probably wouldn't think twice about donating, let alone communicable diseases etc).
    This is a common misconception - quoted from the article below "It is important to remember that both informal milk sharing and infant formula have risks. In both cases some of the risks can be mitigated, but they cannot be entirely eliminated. The difference between the two is that many of the risks of human milk can be significantly decreased or eliminated through diligence on behalf of the donor and recipient. Many of the risks of infant formula are ever present - ie no amount of care and diligence by the formula companies or the parents will erase the health problems that can result from feeding formula."

http://www.phdinparenting.com/blog/2...a-feeding.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is another good article on the risks of donor milk versus formula

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3395287/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret of Cleo View Post
    I've been doing some reading on here and it seems that formula is looked down on
    I think it's important to note that for most people on here, it is indeed the *formula* that is the issue, not the mum or dad using it, for whatever reason. I don't think anyone would say that a mother should breastfeed at all costs. Sometimes medical, physical, psychological factors or just personal choice mean that breast feeding isn't an option. I think the feeling is that the formula we have, while certainly adequate (as evidenced by plenty of healthy ff children) it could be better, and I don't think anyone would object to that. The karicare scare and similar ones in the past here and overseas simply shouldn't happen.
    Last edited by Atropos; 04-08-2013 at 21:53.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I plan to breastfeed #3 (due Feb).
    I failed with my 1st - physically and emotionally, i just wasnt able to bf, and it turned out she had severe CMPI as well, so we prescription FF her.
    I was unwilling to attempt bf'ing my second bub and went directly to regular formula.

I am anticipating some physical issues this time. I have one severely inverted nipple. But i am prepared to bf from the left and bottle feed ebm from the right. Failing that, we will ff once again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    After the discussion in here, the thread name is quite negatively put.
    I mean no offence to op, its just an observation, I'm sure they didn't mean it, but I am really sensitive, even now, 2yrs after stopping bfing my ds....because I had only believed I would exclusively bf, for all the right reasons, but no amount of perseverance worked, and my ds had to be fed formula. There was not even the option of donor milk where we live, and I cried every time he had to have a bottle, at every feed, every few hours! For months. Its not what I wanted, but my choices were formula or starve my baby. I continued to bf until he refused at 4 months, and pumped round the clock until 6 months to maybe give him one ebm bottle a day...I had to stop due to medication for my own health.
    I just find it upsetting that where there is no other choice but formula, to read that its not considered appropriate....when I'm still battling the guilt that my body just does not produce enough milk....just makes those with no choice feel worse than they probably already do.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app