+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Yeah, we had medical probs I am well aware of nestles past history in developing nations, I hd to research it at Uni. I am also aware of historically, What parents fed their babies to keep them alive when breast milk was unavailable, and it makes me all te more thankful for formula.
    All good- was just saying I can see why people might avoid it on ethical grounds, yanno, like buying organic free range eggs instead of cage.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-08-2013),HollyGolightly81  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    As opposed to milk meant for or made from an entirely different species?
    For me the chances of getting a illness from another human compared to the cow or goat milk that had been processed would be a huge factor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know I'm coming late to this discussion so probably not contributing anything new lol. I was unable to bf DD despite being super super desperate to do so and being of the "I will never ever use formula" camp. However when it came down to it, there was no way I could give DD donated bm, for both logistical and emotional reasons. I suspect that a lot (not all) of those who have never faced the decision might actually choose differently than they think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    For me the chances of getting a illness from another human compared to the cow or goat milk that had been processed would be a huge factor.
    You mean like this

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...-1226690892545

I think anything can carry a small risk, I also think very few people actually make formula up correctly, running the risk of bacterial contamination etc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I already 'resorted' to formula
    I don't mind using cows milk derivatives either, its no worse than what I have on my cereal every morning. I don't really like the whole milk from another mammal saying, it seems somehow disrespectful to the cows (and underplaying the role they serve in our society, we wouldn't be where we are now if not for cows/farming). It just rubs me the wrong way I guess because we use it everyday that it just seems an odd thing to say (I'm obviously aware that some people don't use it, but a huge percentage of people do use it everyday, so I'm generalizing ).
    Anyhow that's my random tangent for the day
    All that said I will be trying breast feeding my second, if it doesn't work out I will use formula again with no guilt, it worked well for my DD. If donor milk was properly screened and readily available I would use that, as it stands now I wouldn't unless I knew the donor very well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Oh FFS
    Your post would definitely have to be in the top 10 most ridiculous posts that I have read on bubhub... and believe me, there have been some doozies!
    http://www.skynews.com.au/world/article.aspx?id=893333

Massive formula recall..not looking so ridiculous now. Or at all a doozie.
    And for what it's worth, it's the formula companies that I don't support, not the families that choose to feed their families formula. It happens time and time again, that this product is proven to be unsafe and is recalled. And that is what worries me, not that people choose it, but that companies do not provide it safely.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    This is why I looked into milk banks that pasteurise it for you- just too expensive

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubmum View Post
    http://www.skynews.com.au/world/article.aspx?id=893333

Massive formula recall..not looking so ridiculous now. Or at all a doozie.
    And for what it's worth, it's the formula companies that I don't support, not the families that choose to feed their families formula. It happens time and time again, that this product is proven to be unsafe and is recalled. And that is what worries me, not that people choose it, but that companies do not provide it safely.
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post this as an example of why formula feeding is bad. Quicker than I thought it would be This is one of the reasons mums beat themselves up so much when it comes to FF (especially sad since safe screened donor milk is so hard and expensive to come by).

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-08-2013),HearMeRoar  (04-08-2013),Purple Lily  (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had issues so I expressed until dd was 6 months, then started formula as my supply took a dive. I would've sourced donor milk to make ends meet if I couldn't prior to 6 months as I really wanted to EBF until then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post this as an example of why formula feeding is bad. Quicker than I thought it would be This is one of the reasons mums beat themselves up so much when it comes to FF (especially sad since safe screened donor milk is so hard and expensive to come by).
    Amiedoll, i posted this because my earlier post where I expressed concern at the actions of formula companies was deemed a whole load of things, when in fact it was ... for want of a better word, factual. People are allowed to give their reasons as to why donor milk is not acceptable, so it is fair to say why formula is not 100% safe. If formula wasn't seen as "the" go to, and breast milk, let alone donor breast milk was more supported, then families would have more choices. You can't demand an option and not support the alternatives and then wonder why the service isn't being provided.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-08-2013),Mathermy  (04-08-2013),MilkingMaid  (05-08-2013)