+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Link won't open I've googled and for every one negative page there was 10 stating its fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    I am intrigued as to what the url is that it'd all be asterisked out!
    Last edited by snowqu33n; 30-07-2013 at 20:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    If you really wanted to but couldn't and the alternative is your child going hungry it's not really a tough choice to me and I don't see how that means I don't value bf'ing.

Where's the proof that there's anything harmful in formula? I just don't understand the hesitation at all
    But that's the whole point of the thread isn't it? For some people who really, really want their child to be fed breast milk, formula is not the first or only alternative. The op wanted to explore that. Just because formula is your first and only option, does not make it so for everyone else.

Personally I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with formula , I think it's relatively safe and nutritionally adequate. But just like I prefer whole fresh foods to feed my older daughter, I prefer breast milk for my baby over a processed milk product. I really don't see why that's weird or difficult to understand?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Ceili  (30-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (31-07-2013),Stiflers Mom  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    The op asked if you really wanted to BF and couldn't, obviously if you don't actually value BF that much there wouldn't be an issue with choosing formula, for those who do its a more complicated decision.

I'm (always) surprised that valid concerns about donor milk are discussed freely and yet any concerns over formula are invalid, alarmist and taboo. I can see why people can be cautious about donor milk, equally see why those passionate about BF have concerns about artificial milk but not sure why the latter is so controversial.
    I understand why people have concerns with both formula and doner milk. Personally I have no problem with either option. I am glad there are different solutions for different families, it means that we are all more likely to have access to a solution that works for us.

I do find comments that insinuate that bfing mothers are more responsible/honest merely because of their ability to lactate a little strange though. Ditto comments about evil formula companies. I understand that there has been some controversial behaviour by some formula companies in some countries. This does not mean that their actual product is not stringently tested and heavily regulated before hitting the shelves.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Addicted to Love  (30-07-2013),beebs  (30-07-2013),delirium  (30-07-2013),Guest654  (30-07-2013),snowqu33n  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidwitch View Post
    I am intrigued as to what the url is that it'd all be asterisked out!
    Usually they're websites that are in competition with bub hub, eg think of one that sounds like jellyjelly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    I understand why people have concerns with both formula and doner milk. Personally I have no problem with either option. I am glad there are different solutions for different families, it means that we are all more likely to have access to a solution that works for us.

I do find comments that insinuate that bfing mothers are more responsible/honest merely because of their ability to lactate a little strange though. Ditto comments about evil formula companies. I understand that there has been some controversial behaviour by some formula companies in some countries. This does not mean that their actual product is not stringently tested and heavily regulated before hitting the shelves.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I absolutely agree with you. Lactating mothers are no more above reproach than formula companies.

Though I do think that given donors aren't being paid to do something that would likely be a pain in the **** purely for the benefit of other people ( I say this because I don't know what other personal benefit you would get from it?!?) I would assume they would be more likely to be conscientious about the process than the average joe. I can't imagine going to all that trouble if you didn't give a toot.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (31-07-2013),risfaerie  (30-07-2013),Stiflers Mom  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But that's the whole point of the thread isn't it? For some people who really, really want their child to be fed breast milk, formula is not the first or only alternative. The op wanted to explore that. Just because formula is your first and only option, does not make it so for everyone else.

Personally I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with formula , I think it's relatively safe and nutritionally adequate. But just like I prefer whole fresh foods to feed my older daughter, I prefer breast milk for my baby over a processed milk product. I really don't see why that's weird or difficult to understand?
    That's an interesting distinction. I read the original post slightly differently, perhaps a little too literally. I wanted to breastfeed my baby, I didn't necessarily want my bub to be fed breast milk. I find it brilliant that (ideally) my body would be able to feed my baby a special little mixture of awesome that's totally catered to his needs.

In the end, expressing turned out to be just as impractical as donor milk, so I moved onto formula.

Thanks
    Reviews

But when you use the word resort it conjurs up a different thinking.. Your not resorting to anything your just feeding your child, it's the wording that gets me. A better option might be if you can't bf what would your next step be? Resort is a negative word in this context and places that negative imaging on ff which is unnecessary.

For me when I think of resorting to have to do something it would be breaking into a house to steal b milk from a bridge - far fetched I know trust me just what comes to mind

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (31-07-2013),Guest654  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Usually they're websites that are in competition with bub hub, eg think of one that sounds like jellyjelly
    Bummer. I was thinking it was something dirty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Been there. I expressed for as long as I could and then switched to formula. If we had milk banks with tested donor milk like they do in Europe then I might have done that first. But I don't like the idea of getting it off people when you don't know their history etc.
    The other thing I noticed, with the donor milk groups on facebook, is people will say "I have 40 mls of milk in Engadine" and another person will be like "I have 30 mls in Parramatta" etc - All that running around for less than a full feed. Logistically it makes no sense.

But it was definitely a really hard decision.
    I've never seen such small amounts on offer!